T3 and Tier rushing

Sure? I had the impression u could buy assault railgun and so on BP for a time with money and now u have to find em in Invasion???

Nope.

I also remember back in the day that purple modules were almost non existant. I’d fit a purple mod on my ship even if it didn’t fit there just because it was so cool to have an experimental module.

Sure? I had the impression u could buy assault railgun and so on BP for a time with money and now u have to find em in Invasion???

Nope. You can buy all the tier 3, 4 and 5 basic weapons with cash. For the rest, you need to find the BP, except in tier 4.

This has been this way since it got introduced

I know very few people that were around before the vouchers got introduced. But before that the green (military) and purple (experimental) were loot only, so it was really hard to have a fully upgraded ship.

I think I had 2 mk.4 kits in those times (random kits i didn’t use but put them on anyway coz it was purple and cool). I am pretty sure when I started playing for the first few months the daily purple guarenteed loot spot in PvE didn’t exist either. It was cray cray back then, you were lucky if you got to mk.3

If your problem is too many good players in a tier, you are looking at it in the wrong way. Believe me, you will thank for T3 being still played by the vets, as in times, where vets were mainly moving on, the quality of games plummeted. It is bad if you learn a certain behaviour, which is just bad for gameplay, and don’t realize it, keep repeating it. And I speak from experience, not to talk down; I have a habit of picking up stupid habits.

I was a long, looong time in T3, back in the days where experimental was, as residente said, something you just put on, because you had it. T3 was full of veterans when i entered the game. It was almost harder to find non-veteran players. Everybody seemed to at least know how to kill and fly. This made it very easy to learn. After just a few games, I could fly after other players, and realize what they were doing. I watched the stats of single ships which had been assembled, just to find out, how I could improve on ships, which seemed to work well for others, but not for me.

I play T5 aswell, and I can say, there are a lot in T5, who should at least spend a couple more months in T3 actually. If you see engineers in T5 cycling their heals to heal you, or still people equipping a lineup of 2 LRF and nothing more, you know, this is not the endgame content you were hoping for. I cannot imagine, how they grinded their way up, with those tactics; but I am a very slow grinder anyway, so sometimes it blows me away which amounts of work people put into things, even if they end up not understanding what they are doing. I tried every role in T3 first; I think I even flew every single T3 ship, and gave every T3 ship at least a chance to show what it’s worth once it fully synergized, and sometimes came back to them if i realized that i had not seen a specific strength of a ship before. It was easy to complete the tier, and T3s continued to support me as I started building my first T4 and T5 ships. As I entered T5, I already had a couple of ships to rely on, because I simply knew which fit they are going to use, and I knew the cousins in lower tiers. With that, T4 and T5 took me really almost no effort.

It is true, that multi-ship-talents are more rare, but do not assume, a pilot which seems to use a certain type of ship more, because he excels in its playstyle, has no idea how to fly the others. Even if you are bad in a ship, learning how to deal with its weaknesses gives you a great insight in how to actually defeat them. In T3 any ships weakspots are usually obvious.

Of course the modules make a difference, but especially in T3, getting to fully purple on one or two ships is really not a big deal.

If you have the grind nerve, you could also do a lot of PvE to get the ships synergized, does not mean however, it isn’t bad to actually use those ships, since it isn’t just about “unlocking all ships”, it is actually about the game you play with them.

I agree with the above.

It boggles my mind as to how some players got past T2 with the tactics and builds they are using in T5. The only two explanations are tier-rushing and/or dumb luck.

I fully understand that tier-rushers provide a lot of money for Star Gem, but this is at the cost of enjoyment of the game for those of us who don’t tier-rush and who took the time to grind up to end-game. Tier-rushing was supposedly a solution to people whining about the grind being too much, in which case, that was one of the worst solutions to that problem. Implementing a way to tier-rush only ruins the game for everyone. The tier-rushers get no enjoyment of the end-game content as they don’t have a clue as to how to play or how to build effectively so that you can compete with the vets. The vets get no enjoyment of it in return as well, games are full of idiots who don’t know how to play, and you are stuck trying to carry your team to victory, which requires a very specific set of ships, and not everyone enjoys carrying teams (I know I don’t enjoy it).

Lots of vets are playing T3 because of tier-rushers. Tier-rushers go straight to end-game and never touch T3, so T3 is like a safe haven. A place for vets to enjoy large games, somewhat decent teammates, and better team-balance.

Imo, the best option to improve this game for everyone (and improve player retention) is to prevent tier rushing. I was talking with Kost last night about this, and he suggested an idea where players cannot progress in PvP without a certain number of games. For example: 200 pvp games are required to move on to T2, 200 more to move on to T3, etc. This way players will have at least 800 pvp games before they are allowed into T5 pvp and will have experience and far more knowledge of how to play. Players can still progress through the ship tree in PvE if they desire, but they will be prevented from playing T5 pvp untilt they have the 800 pvp game minimum. Sure, some players won’t like this, but overall, the players that take the time to grind those battles will have a lot more fun in T5 when they get there.

Anyways, to end my rant, my advice to any new player who is just starting out, or to anyone who hasn’t passed T3 yet:

Progress to T3 and stay there for a while. You will learn lots of tactics from playing with and against vets. The things you learn will benefit you tremendously when you decide to move on to T5, and you will have more fun this way, after all, doing ok or good in a game is much more fun than absolutely sucking.

Just a quick point. Tier 3 has more premium content than any other tier. If you bought a £60 DLC pack containing T3 ships, wouldn’t you want to use them as much as possible?

I imagine people really only buy the packs for the gs and the bonuses that comes with them.

The ships gained by the packs hardly ever see any use from me. Credit ships are generally where it’s at, and I can’t seem to find a good reason to fly 

ships for other than good placement of module slots. Credit ships are generally the best to bring to a fight, while gs ships are just extra ship types if you want to stick to one, or two, roles.

Of course there are a few exceptions, but this is the general way of it. To be honest, all of the ships are far too similar in how they fly to really care about anything other than module placement. 

There is a ‘look’ factor, but that’s a very small aspect in this game; A good paint-job goes a long way on any ship.

(Just my personal experience with the packs, I have all of them.)

yes, the sai, bear and the desert eagle are hardly seen on any battlefield*… o_O

reaper and phoenix also are quite amongst my favourite ships.

grim is ok, only dragonfly is somewhat meh.

*) sarcasm

parallax, blood tormentor

Anyways, to end my rant, my advice to any new player who is just starting out, or to anyone who hasn’t passed T3 yet:

Progress to T3 and stay there for a while. You will learn lots of tactics from playing with and against vets. The things you learn will benefit you tremendously when you decide to move on to T5, and you will have more fun this way, after all, doing ok or good in a game is much more fun than absolutely sucking.

Seems that T3 was and still a good tier to be in, be it for learning new tricks and tactics, or for enjoying the more balanced gameplay. 

so I can tier rush to T3?  :008j:

so I can tier rush to T3?  :008j:

yes tillo, you can tier-rush to T3… but that’s it. You can only play T3, no more of your T5 shenanigans…

Not tier rushing is a waste of time once you’re good enough to go into T5, because you have to waste even more time farming ships and modules you could

already have if you had simply gotten the painful part of the game over with when you started. Tier rushing for the sake of farming and gaining experience while you’re at it may be annoying

to others at times, but its beneficial to you in the long run, so do it; Get straight to T5 in all three factions, farm up there for loyalty, credits, and iridium, and play all tiers afterwards with

a good source of income for all of your module, ship and experimental building needs.

It shows people would rather get new ships than grind away in a tier ;p Until they reach the last rank, then they start grinding anyway ;p

Not to mention, the overall credit and synergy income in the lower tiers increases a tremendous amount when you get into T5 for some reason. for instance, instead of 4-10k, you’ll get more around 20-60k in

synergy within T2, and the same goes for credits. This is generally without a license. In otherwords, you’re shooting yourself in the foot if you don’t rush, in terms of the long run for farming all of the ships.

(if I’m not mistaken) I’m unsure if the rewards max out when you reach T5 (rank 15?) in a single faction, so it may be worth it to tier rush a single line first, before going through the next two factions.

If that’s how it works, then I’d suggest either guards, or engineers for the first run, as these will work well in both pve, pvp and invasion.

I disagree with you WolfKhan, from my own experience.

Your income is based on the rank of the ship you actually play. tier rushers often bring lower tiered ships to higher tiers. this has been prevented by only allowing maximum rank - 4 rank of ships to be used.

Still, people try to bring lower ships into higher tiers, sometimes even by trying to squad up with someone with higher tiered ships. But the rewards will scale down if they play the lower tier ships in a higher tier anyway. If you play in T3 with a T1, you will get T1 modules as loot.

With additional experience, plans ahead how to fit your higher tiered ships, because you have some comparison, better knowledge of the game modes, and the general faster progression of non-realistic game modes up to t3, not to mention more green upgrade kits from the next tier if you play the tier before, or more fleet strength to make full use of synergy, tier rushing is only for the short sighted.

Playing well, having solid lineups, understanding the gamemodes, tactics, fits, etc. makes staying in a tier you are familiar with for a while a better choice; it makes it also easier for your teammates. You will win more likely, since you can influence your winning, instead of just hoping to be carried. This increases your income a lot, since you get loot more often and more income on a win, less loss on a lost game.

Also, how can someone tell, if he is “good enough” for t5, if he hasn’t played enough in tiers below? It is not only about piloting / aiming skill, it is also about the skills related to the game modes, knowing different tactics, etc. It is easier to learn a weakness in a ship in a lower tier, where the weakness is much more obvious, also lower tiered ships have less diversity in fitting, making it easier to learn some basic techniques.

WolfKhan is right on some point : vouchers make you want to rush at least one line in each faction to get maximum income.

And rk 15 implant.

But I didn’t notice synergy / credits loot increase outside of this…

hm, true that, unlocking higher tiers early is indeed a good thing, but you do not have to tier rush to do it. You can just unlock a shipline going to R15, and still do most of them in lower tiers, or in PvE, if you want to farm up or even use free synergy. Also, more fleet strength = more synergy.

It is an entirely different thing to actually go into a PvP game with constantly having only unsynergized ships or partial layouts. You always have to do it if you start in a new tier, but it is bad if you only do that, and do not “finish a tier” by at least playing some ships on full synergy and max modules, just to get the feel of where skill and experience differentiates from module progress / fitting.

Besides, it leaves you often bankrupt in terms of credits, if you go too high too fast. I stayed in T3 for almost 3/4 year, and after a while, credit problems were completely in the past, and T4 and T5 basicly unlocked themselves;

I do not think, all these suggestions of people wanting people to not tier rush are simply selfish of them wanting people to tell, they would be not “good enough” for a higher tier yet. Imho, atm. T5 is easier to play than T3 in many timezones, still, and in the end, every tier played with good people can be as challenging as any other. I think it is also concern about keeping the fun up while progressing through the game. Tier rushing can take the fun out of the game, or make a strategy to unlock the content of the game seem more lucrative than it actually is…

If you constantly keep your modules evolving, tier by tier, you will just progress a lot easier, and even if one game wins you more higher up, many good games are in the end still more lucrative… Probably.

In fact, rushing to T3 is sometimes an advice i give myself to people who I know to be stronger in these type of games. But a month or two in T2 or so isn’t a bad start either, for a more or less casual player.

I tier rushed to t5 because I wanted to fly sector conquest (old system). My main goal was to get my 4 interceptors line-up full mk4. Once it was done, I go back to t3 to max out ships. And modules. Wich was done last month.

I have increased like 4 modules to mkIV in t4, and I find it was a huge waste of valuable ressources.

Same thing for some modules that I find now useless in t3…

Does that make me a bad pilot?

You try to solve something by in game mechanics that is mainly a bad behavior from players.

hardly a bad pilot. everyone experiments with the modules as they go along, and they’ll eventually see something as worthless, but I’d suggest making sure to keep even the worthless ones. you may one day

figure that you want to test another thing out with it. At least you have a MK.IV version for the testing :slight_smile:

The main thing about Tier rushing while experiencing the game’s fun factor, you have to simply set a course for yourself, and forget that you’re actually rushing. 

In other words, put the rushing factor in the back of your mind, and just have fun as you go along. Yes, focus on how you fight, how you play. The best modes to learn are capture the beacons/(Realistic) and Team Battle.

If you have an interceptor line handy, I also suggest finding someone to teach you some of the flight mechanic basics first hand within a custom battle on one of these two modes.

In each tier, find the modules you like, and make enough to fit 4 ships full of them, and then stop there, and focus on another module type. (After you have some basic setups for your existing favorite ships, that is.)

I also suggest gaining the T-Rex MK.II federation guard. you’ll gain an engineer line at the end of it, and you’ll be able to handle things better overall in pve/invasion, while giving a nice kick into pvp. (with the right builds, of course.) 

Once you finish farming for T5 and T3 modules, and you have the T4 ships you want, It’ll be good to farm into the T4 modules while playing T5 games, if only for the sake of either helping your friends farm through

T4, or for the T4 dreadnought battles, depending on where the corporation you’re in stands on the grand board.