Resolutions

2 hours ago, ORCA1911 said:

IDK why but im stuck on 7 and 8.1, can’t switch to 10 yet xd

Dunno if you are a student, but…

http://onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-10-education-for-students/

3 minutes ago, Mecronmancer said:

Dunno if you are a student, but…

http://onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-10-education-for-students/

best part is when the college provides a separate download link as well ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”) So you get 2 for 1

There’s also tech soup but its mostly for non-profits but there may be other qualifications:

http://www.techsoup.org/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc-bg&utm_term=techsoup&utm_campaign=Z-SRC-Branded

I got windows server 2012 R2 for something like $100… freakin insane savings…

I’m the last pirate alive as it seems xD

Just now, ORCA1911 said:

I’m the last pirate alive as it seems xD

lol arrrr matey… yous is not the only one matey but its hardly something they would want to publicly announce, at least for someone I know hehe…

47 minutes ago, xKostyan said:

best part is when the college provides a separate download link as well ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”) So you get 2 for 1

Yeah, I have 4 keys since I have attended 2 different colleges - both of which have their own links.

5 hours ago, Spongejohn said:

You cannot follow those type of content and believe 100% what they says. This is marketing, show, begging for views and followers: not a trustfully source of info, the soon you realize that…

This is how you follow reviewers:

1. Only read the graphs and charts they produce about a product’s performance after verifying that their test methodology is fair.

2. There is no step 2.

Anything else and you are reading subjective material.

I follow Linus for his coverage of events like CES, his ridiculous builds, and his kid.

Similarly, I follow HardwareCanucks for their very in depth reviews of cases and their amazing product beauty shots. Seriously, Dmitri should get an Academy Award for some of his videos’ shot quality.

56 minutes ago, Mecronmancer said:

This is how you follow reviewers:

1. Only read the graphs and charts they produce about a product’s performance after verifying that their test methodology is fair.

2. There is no step 2.

Anything else and you are reading subjective material.

I follow Linus for his coverage of events like CES, his ridiculous builds, and his kid.

Similarly, I follow HardwareCanucks for their very in depth reviews of cases and their amazing product beauty shots. Seriously, Dmitri should get an Academy Award for some of his videos’ shot quality.

That’s pretty much what I do. I just go a bit deeply sometimes with buildzoid but only 'cause I need some of the info he take care of. I also follow hardwareCk, a channel I like is gamernexus (apart controversial hair style from Steve Burke, he also did a good coverage on last CES, oc more technical than linus) and if I’m in the mood for something more easy and funny Jayz2cents (but he is another guy going for the “show” more than the contents, despite that, sometimes he is funny to watch and show some cool “info” to masses, nothing more). I stand on my position btw, if you don’t know what they are talking about, you cannot trust 100% guys like Linus or Jay.

14 hours ago, xXConflictionXx said:

Thank you! Too many Microsoft Windows haters out there and most of the bashers are Linux users. Don’t get me wrong, Linux is great but I am and always will be a Windows user. I know the code, how to fix it, write programs for it and most business/people use it. Also anyone still using Windows XP is just stuck man. There is just no help for you unless ofc you just can’t afford it.

Man there is a lot of stuff in windows that is completely unrepairable when of is broken, and the system get ridiculous slow when you don’t have an SSD (at least on my laptop (i5 smth and 4Gb ram). I reinstalled it 3 times in the hope nothing breaks, but a) I was never able to use my disk at full speed(e.g. steam was Downloading at 1mib/s max, so did other programs) and b) everytime I wanted to use it I either had to wait a hour before until all updates were done or after my session when I turned him of.

At least the last point is not fixable for a end consumer only from Microsoft…

I think its good to use SSD as target for things which have lots of small files, and need to be searched or read, as this is the operation the SSD outperforms best. So mainly my SSD only contains windows itself, and all basic internal programs I use (from image viewers to pdf readers browsers, etc.) while i even translocated the user folders to another disk. Which (thankfully) now is supported officially by Windows 10, but bugged out Win8 updates.

Writing a continous stream of data on a disk usually ends up faster on a separate HD, even an oldschool magnetic one. Cheap SSDs even tend to have really slow writing speeds, or gaps when they switch sector or run out of cache, but even if it’s a better one, downloading to a separate drive only containing data, while your SSD can be accessed by the system independently at random gives the best speed boost imho.

It’s not really about their decay (you will probably not live to see them failing), more about their strongest point: reading data reliably fast from anywhere, while the magnetic hd has to move the head to the sector and is limited by mechanical spin.

TL;DR: I would use a magnetic second harddrive for writing big files anyway (downloads, video recording, etc.), especially if they are streamed from start to end. Otherwise the SSD might not even be that big of a speed boost, as there are many different kinds of them. But man, it boots fast. I would even recommend a (fairly) cheap one. Mainly for the system and most permanent apps, so even 200 gigs are worth it, which is more than enough, if you do the user-folder move, or keep track of where you put your files, for windows and the most barebone stuff (like office or sth). It can be a really cheap nerdy upgrade, given you invest the time to reinstall the system. Cool for any OS and PC. As long as the bios supports the disk… ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”)

1 hour ago, g4borg said:

TL;DR: I would use a magnetic second harddrive for writing big files anyway (downloads, video recording, etc.), especially if they are streamed from start to end. Otherwise the SSD might not even be that big of a speed boost, as there are many different kinds of them. But man, it boots fast. I would even recommend a (fairly) cheap one. Mainly for the system and most permanent apps, so even 200 gigs are worth it, which is more than enough, if you do the user-folder move, or keep track of where you put your files, for windows and the most barebone stuff (like office or sth). It can be a really cheap nerdy upgrade, given you invest the time to reinstall the system. Cool for any OS and PC. As long as the bios supports the disk… ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”)

That was true until like 5 years ago, now also “cheap ssd” have more than 400mb/s on sequential read/write. https://www.productchart.com/ssd_drives/

Today, in order to find an ssd that have lower specs, you need to search for it in the real bad category of up to 35€ and max 64gb storage (no one should buy those :P). TBF those behave you described was mostly due the cr**py sandforce controller that became pretty common on the market like 10 years ago (they used a compression algorithm to store data… not a good idea overall), Intel’s or indilinix, Jmicron had less problems with sequential reading on their middle to high tiers controllers/ssd.

21 hours ago, Spongejohn said:

That was true until like 5 years ago

with cheap i do not mean the cheapest, as i mentioned 200 gigs, which i would say is the minimal size of an ssd that makes sense, over 5 years ago, i would not have gone for the cheapest at all ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”) 64 gigs is just bad, coz it might not be enough for windows in the future, same as 128 (altough, i am doing fine with my 128G)

yeah, in the past you could even notice that a single SSD could not even keep up with a normal hd on a single testfile (sequential write), I would say in sequential writing, ssds overtook HDs pretty fast, but that is a pure testing scenario, you can only reach anyway, if you have at least 2 drives :))

you can still run out of cache, even if the specs wont tell you; This is something the tests just dont cover; the true workload on a single-drive-machine is random read writes occuring while your sequential write happens, which needs you to calculate in switch times. you remember my case 3 years ago, my rather cheap disk ran out of cache every few gigabytes while recording footage. in raw numbers that one is still faster than a hd in seq writing (300mbs max) and it does not have said chip on it (its a sandisk with a marvell).

in fact, having two drives being wise as standard is always valid, because even if you compare two SSDs used this way to one you will win, as it was already true with two magnetic HDs. And in fact, as mentioned, all “tests” are pretty much made like that.

So I would still say, it is still pretty valid. But to be fair, the reasons you just brought up are exactly why I would recommend them now blindly, without going too much into detail, as the time of bad SSDs seems over ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”) If one can switch to a fairy expensive SSD, then that actually does work quite well by itself, which is how my laptop is, otherwise, and that was my point, even if you buy a fairly cheap one, and use it as system drive, it can be a very cheap upgrade, where you can’t lose.

using a system drive is smart anyway, it should already be standard already to have a boot ssd - win10 finally catched up supporting this even in update process, took em long enough to finally put all writing into that user directory. damn you bill and your damn idea of drive letters!

oh and i am not saying, at all, that a magnetic hd outperforms an ssd in any way, especially if you get one of those juicy samsung ones. just saying it doesnt matter, because you can fix it with using two drives any time ![;)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/002.png “;)”)

after all, the main limiting factor is price per gigabyte. the fact an SSD stays readable after it expires is even a bonus. They are awesome. big fan.

2 hours ago, g4borg said:

in fact, having two drives being wise as standard is always valid, because even if you compare two SSDs used this way to one you will win, as it was already true with two magnetic HDs. And in fact, as mentioned, all “tests” are pretty much made like that.

And that will always be the way to go for us regular joes! An ssd for the OS + most used programs and a normal hdd for storage and the rest of the programs (as you said, it’s not that hard to move around the “doc” folder to another drive, edit: don’t move the whole documents folder, just the image/video/music/download subsfolders, since in the main doc folders there are also the config files for programs, and it’s a nice idea to have them on the faster ssd rather than the hdd). 
Btw the “decent” models are awesome in every way, crucial mx 256gb on old sata chipset here, got it for 70€ last year to replace my really old ocz ssd, testing it while typing (which will steal some performance from the test). Just to show in comparison with a good HDD what is the difference even in a “not ideal” scenario (not to brag).

apblz.png 

here instead a seagate barracuda hdd http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/278266-32-seagate-barracuda-st1000dm003

Apart that, the next “big thing” are the m.2 ssd. Basically since the Sata bandwith standard is becoming “small”, there is this new standard that is pretty damn faster. But being a new tech (as always) it have multiples drawback: not so easy to install an os on it apart win 10, cheap units are really cheap ok, but also low specs like the first ssd sata showing the same limits you described; not all motherboard support this, last but not least: the faster one (a samsung) is really damn expensive. Bw in the next future those will become quite standard.

Enjoy this Apu guy showing us how to install one of this new toy ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1pd12WBuRU

My next build will be: an m.2 only for the OS, my actual 256 gb for most used programs and video capture (probably also the doc folder for small files and config stuffs) and my hdd for big files, junk and stuffs in sync-backup with my remote storage lil serverino.

7 hours ago, MightyHoot said:

B-but… but 128G is all you need!

heh, yeah, smart one.

22 hours ago, Spongejohn said:

(as you said, it’s not that hard to move around the “doc” folder to another drive, edit: don’t move the whole documents folder, just the image/video/music/download subsfolders, since in the main doc folders there are also the config files for programs, and it’s a nice idea to have them on the faster ssd rather than the hdd). 

it is smart to move the docs folder because you have a lot of temp file folders in there too, aswell as AppData and similar, so browser cache, logging, unzipping, etc. dont write there either. its pretty easy now (especially on young windows) and there is an official tutorial - even with the ability to prepare the windows disc itself to install like that. Of course, moving only a few folders reduces this aswell, but if you wanna make sure, the system doesnt write around, its possible. but to be honest, with a better SSD, maybe you are right, to keep it like you say: windows should read and write on SSD - but you download larger files manually somewhere else. or even use multiple disks, or partitions, which is then more about longievety. ah, i read on and you just said the same. yeah thats how i will do next time too ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”) second ssd gets even a whole partition for the pagefile.

22 hours ago, Spongejohn said:

Just to show in comparison with a good HDD what is the difference even in a “not ideal” scenario (not to brag).

u can show ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”) although, my lenovo X1 has a really good ssd and it works since years perfectly, so its not news. And to be honest, i have no idea how to read italian. As said, i think you interpreted it as me trying to say something else, as if hdd would be superior. while since i got a cheap ssd and a good ssd, i just meant, even if you get a bad one… just reuse old disk as data storage and voila, win-win. Becuase it was for the guy who had the one harddisk.

i followed some linux freaks already over a decade ago mounting a memory card for the system. u know, those terrible netbooks came out of that project. we almost set up our server like that. I have been following SSD before it was called like that - so really, not a hdd fan. especially because i own a lot of neodynium magnets, and it kinda divides my home into places where i can put drives, which i get a lot of to repair, and places where drives never should be - and even with that, there was once the nice funny day, when someone discovered, putting one of the magnet on a laptop makes it spin… i cant wait until the price per gb is low enough to make it a mass storage, or hope they advance in optical RAM drives (back to the tape! but this time, not unfolding it ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”) just write in it with lazors).

our file server (which was once its own machine) currently is a raspberry pi in a soap box, with usb disks, i would love to have another bigger tupperware box next to it and call it the hdd ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”) ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”) especially, since all we do is over the years is adding hdds, which fail, but with ssds, we would not care, as most of the data on a house-file-server is read only after it gets uploaded.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:00 AM, John161 said:

Man there is a lot of stuff in windows that is completely unrepairable when of is broken, and the system get ridiculous slow when you don’t have an SSD (at least on my laptop (i5 smth and 4Gb ram). I reinstalled it 3 times in the hope nothing breaks, but a) I was never able to use my disk at full speed(e.g. steam was Downloading at 1mib/s max, so did other programs) and b) everytime I wanted to use it I either had to wait a hour before until all updates were done or after my session when I turned him of.

At least the last point is not fixable for a end consumer only from Microsoft…

What stuff is broken for you? I honestly have no problems out of Windows 10 at all. The only problem I have is, as you stated, my HD which is not SSD but even it is manageable. The only time I get real slow downs is when I’m writing a HUGE file like an ISO of a DVD or when compressing/decompressing a file that has been zipped super tight. This is on a laptop Acer Aspire V3-571-6643 with Intel i5 with integrated graphics HD 3000 and 6 GB RAM.

47 minutes ago, xXConflictionXx said:

What stuff is broken for you? I honestly have no problems out of Windows 10 at all. The only problem I have is, as you stated, my HD D which is not SSD but even it is manageable. The only time I get real slow downs is when I’m writing a HUGE file like an ISO of a DVD or when compressing/decompressing a file that has been zipped super tight. This is on a laptop Acer Aspire V3-571-6643 with Intel i5 with integrated graphics HD 3000 and 6 GB RAM.

issues:

a) Windows destroys everything after update / update does get reverted all the time -> had to reinstall 

b) steam and other software downloads / copies with less then 5mb/s mostly with max 1mb/s while my HDD is clearly capable of doing faster (I don’t have the problem with Linux) 

c) coz of this programs need ages to start (and with ages i mean like 10+ min, where they should need 1min max)

d) Taskbar was broken (not opening the menu) -> had to reinstall 

e) other stuff (e.g. getting annoyed by their update politics, having to disable driver signature signature verification to install unsigned/self signed driver instead of having an options to add own keys…)

4 hours ago, g4borg said:

And to be honest, i have no idea how to read italian. As said, i think you interpreted it as me trying to say something else, as if hdd would be superior

I remember we had this conversation once, were we where talkin about what was the best drive where to lay temp video file for recording, since old ssd for that task could be not a good idea (bad sequential read/write speed) which is true. I wanted to correct you that it was “a thing” only for old models, now even “cheap one” have tons of sequential reading/writing speed (double, on average, compared to an hdd. Like I showed on that “spoiler”, no Italian words in there btw), even after a year or two of pretty much, daily use.

Btw, changing topic, if someone can tells what is wrong in this video below, and why the contents shown are totally useless (and so why you should be careful with maionstream youtube channels…) : I will ship to the winner a bottle of wine! (true story).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDCMMf-_ASE&t=303s

2 hours ago, John161 said:

issues:

a) Windows destroys everything after update / update does get reverted all the time -> had to reinstall 

b) steam and other software downloads / copies with less then 5mb/s mostly with max 1mb/s while my HDD is clearly capable of doing faster (I don’t have the problem with Linux) 

c) coz of this programs need ages to start (and with ages i mean like 10+ min, where they should need 1min max)

d) Taskbar was broken (not opening the menu) -> had to reinstall 

e) other stuff (e.g. getting annoyed by their update politics, having to disable driver signature signature verification to install unsigned/self signed driver instead of having an options to add own keys…)

A lot of the issues when Windows 10 was released has been fixed and I admit I had a few issues when it was released but nothing like what you were/are having.

As far as driver sig ver that’s obviously so it cant be compromised by malicious intent and also as far as Win Update always reverting the drivers, they added an option in device manager to roll back and don’t allow it to revert which is about the same as what the update tool did. I have custom driver for my graphics which gives me a lot more fps.

As for Linux, I like it too but I do all of my programming in C# and don’t like to dual boot when Linux has most of there Open source software available for windows also like blender and gimp, which I use a lot too. Eventually I would like to get back into the depths of Linux but I’m still learning C#… atm making an overlay for gaming but finding out that I have to make a snapshot and show it all on the fly of any forms within the fps of the game and send mouse input to the form with keyboard hook. WHEW! (over my head but i’ll get it eventually)

1 hour ago, MightyHoot said:

128 SSD and 4 normal HD  ![:D](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/006j.png “:D”) + Tillo ain’t smart

128 GB SSD and raid HDDs ![:576a55a9bca5d_):](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/576a55a9bca5d_).png “:576a55a9bca5d_):”)

yNlQWRM.jpg