Resolutions

Yeah,I am rolling on a RM650x,650W if you cant tell,there is no need for more as the only LEDs I have are on the top 140-mm fan,some on the mobo for troubleshooting and status,the Power and Hard Drive activity while a Skylake CPU and 1060 wont draw too much power,It sure is futureproof even if it is 80+ gold.

5 hours ago, ORCA1911 said:

As for the PSU, i always have a build between 600-700w.I also never think of the electricity as a factor lol

You should always have a 80+ gold certified PSU or higher. The increase in efficiency is well worth it and your bills will thank you.

39 minutes ago, Mecronmancer said:

You should always have a 80+ gold certified PSU or higher. The increase in efficiency is well worth it and your bills will thank you.

Also they are really messy when they malfunction, saw a guy getting close to homeless due to that factor lol
Always invest in the PSU and mobo, everything else is whatever you want it to be.

Have to admit, motherboards and prices do not correlate so directly with quality tho, in my experience.

I found it is way better to look at the chipset and formfactor, and utilities. E.g. the asus board i got has the exact same chipset and hardware, like their flagship gaming board, but was a lot cheaper, simply because it lacks all the visual gadgets. While there were more expensive mobos with less, or worse chipsets, this was the best of its time, and wasnt the most expensive, but not the most luxurious either.

For the power I actually tried to save money back then, didnt know back then that buying a higher watt PSU than you need actually reduces its power consumption, if it runs in the sweet spot.

Anyway, if someone tends to already calculate his watts, look at chipset reviews, and even compare cpu features or read about current graphic chip generations, he is already in the top percentage of users, and probably just needs to make decisions, at that point, it’s usually not knowledge anymore, just decisions ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”)

There are brands I keep buying for specific things, simply because I know they have some serious stuff in some price ranges. Even if you are looking at brands, you should not look blindly, there are cheap stuffs, which are cheap on purpose, and overpriced stuffs - companies usually have subsidiaries or rebranding. But some I lock out after continues bad experience. Western Digital e.g. is a hard drive factory I swore to never buy drives from again, and again, and again… - looks like a seagate, prices like a seagate, runs like a seagate for half a year. but the seagate runs on for 10 years.

11 hours ago, ORCA1911 said:

Also they are really messy when they malfunction, saw a guy getting close to homeless due to that factor lol

watta fák - that’s one of my primal fears ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”) it makes me double check power being off every time i leave the house for longer. luckily all psus i burned (and it was a few) died rather fast and silently. Still, stories like that help you keep respect.

12 hours ago, Mecronmancer said:

You should always have a 80+ gold certified PSU or higher.

certifications… I don’t trust certifications…

Certified PSU go down silently, the other go out with a bang hahaha

Ok Let’s start with Psu, it’s indeed true sometimes that certifications can be overrated. Not the case for PSU.

It’s not only a matter of less watt drained to produce the amount of power the pc needs, unbranded/cheap psu withouth certification are all death trap. True, most of the time in a cheap pre-assembled pc you will find one of those and they will kinda last. But the soon you add a new hardware component or it became a bit old… Let’s see what happen when you put some power drain on a cheap psu

Turn up volume and enjoy fireworks. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Certified PSU (better silver then bronze if one don’t want to spend for a gold), have protections against catastrophic failures other than give more stable power to your components, which is underrated but can make the difference when you buy a new, power hungry, component (like an high end gpu, both nvidia or amd), and oc helps a lot for people that go for overclock.

This guide on Tom’s forums is maybe a bit old but describe the situation quite good if someone want to know more. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

This tool instead helps to get an idea of the psu required for your hardware (but don’t take it as a bible)  http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

HD, as always, it’s never a matter of brands. It’s always related to models and series (also, some series are meant for storage, others for program installations), wd red are reliable for storage (well if someone is so naive to rely on storage of important data on one single HD), Wd blue all around is a quite good and reliable hd (way less the black series and the green  from them). Same for Seagate, not all their series fits needs and reliability that one seeks just by checking brands.

Motherboards can never be cheap. Like Mecron said, Mobo and psu are the “pillars” of a good build that prevents unsuspected hardware/software errors that most of the time will lead to crazyness a non expert guy trying to fix his brand new configuration.

As always brands don’t means: this works for sure, that other brand don’t. Always depends on the series/models. I had really bad times back then with cheap models from asus and gigabyte (for the expensive models instead, the percentage of issues where way lower). I 'member back than the best reliable mobos where the intels (they were doing their own motherboards… not everyone know that :P), those where quite expensive and didn’t offers too much apart basic stuffs. But those were kinda indestructible. Sadly they stepped back from doing those http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-ceases-motherboard-production-haswell,20631.html

Anyway, something that should never be underestimate when you buy a motherboards are the power lines on the mobo itself. Cooled vrm, beefy power efficiency is something that not only influence overclockers (that is crucial to get stable oc), but also who intend to keep using the mobo and change the others components like cpu (well on intel side, new cpu means 90% of the time new mobo since those are non compatible) or gpus. Gpus take part of their power from the motherboard, some of them took power only from them. So If the mobo is not beefy enough on that side, it will cause instability on long run or when you update a component (100% granted, kinda). And this is 100% related to the models/series not the brand.

fbc9e811b291bc6c04e50bad4594b324.jpg

Whoop-whoop…

2 hours ago, Spongejohn said:

Motherboards can never be cheap. Like Mecron said, Mobo and psu are the “pillars” of a good build that prevents unsuspected hardware/software errors that most of the time will lead to crazyness a non expert guy trying to fix his brand new configuration.

is that an answer to me? i said, price doesnt always correlate with quality, especially if you decide between a few in a certain price segment, which again also depends what you want (dual card, form factor, etc.). if you go cheap, price always correlates with quality. actually reading the specs, and noticing if a board has a good chipset, after viewing some reviews takes 5 minutes. I did not contradict the notion, you should not buy a 10-bucks-board for an i7. ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”) even if it says ASUS. But you also do not need a 4-card-SLI hardware raid motherboard with the slightly worse chipset, that was 100 bucks more expensive, than the board, which is better, but has less PCIe slots. And sometimes you pay extra just for a name, or a few trinkets like led lights, you could spare.

2 hours ago, Spongejohn said:

HD, as always, it’s never a matter of brands.

each brand has its own kind of representing its layers of quality, so knowing a brand, and knowing how their pricing works, or their quality control, just safes time.

As I said, once you understand stuff to this detail we discuss here, it’s about decisions. With risks. And your wallet ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”)

Unfortunately, brands which keep only quality products around, tend to fail, or become extremely expensive, which is why every brand has a low priced segment. That is not even intended for the guy who builds his own PC, but there is a large market for office products or replacing non critical systems with cheap hardware. This sometimes results in “hating a brand” for the wrong reasons. And I know it to be wrong, but Broadcomm and WD made it on my personal permanent hate list, out of lots of bad experience with them.

There are many “middle” priced mobos without 4way sli/crossfire that can be a really good base for a pc, and there are ultra expensive mobos with uber functionality that have cheap components (and maybe also leds and paint…). Unless someone need some particular config, I always advice a middle tier that I know have decent electronic components and expandable features. Gigabyte was cheap like 15 years ago, till 2004 they became one of the “big” among Msi, Asus and Asrock (i miss epox and abit too, they failed). Sadly a 5 min search is not enough, if you stay on first page of google you will land on review from not trustworthy “youtubers wannabe” (not all of them are bad, but the rule is: if it’s sponsored it’s bad and major youtubers do are sponsored), or even worst: gpu boss. 

Tbf broadcom make some “middle” chipset for modems that are quite good, if that’s the case, they make only the chipset not the entire board, antenna etc. So It happen that some models with broadcom chipset can be bad. I remember back then maxtor did us a really bad jokes, an entire series of 80gb HDD with a failing rate of 80% in 2 years (yarbwo, I still remember the first part of that serial numer lot, sometimes I woke up during the night screaming YARBWWWWW YARBWWW), a massacre. Then they became seagate, sh*t happens to every brand.

2 hours ago, Entersprite said:

Whoop-whoop…

And that’s what I was referring when I was speaking of sponsored wannabe reviewers. This guy opinion (in particular, but there are other big channels like this) change according to who is sponsoring him. The bla bla about thunderbolt in this video is quite amazing (lol). I can link videos from him made 2 weeks ago at CES in Vegas that are sponsored by AMD and are all sugar and honey (and quite disgusting to watch) toward AMD that he constantly bashed when the sponsors were different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMfNz2SXVLk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8tDaPLHxiE

Another exemple? This guy made a review of a freesync monitor while using an nvidia card and repeteadly sayin’ that the major drawback of that monitor is the lack of function you could have with gsync… OC since the two techs are not compatible and should be used on proper hardware…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvdvjralvs

You cannot follow those type of content and believe 100% what they says. This is marketing, show, begging for views and followers: not a trustfully source of info, the soon you realize that…

21 minutes ago, Spongejohn said:

Sadly a 5 min search is not enough

but in 5 minutes, i can click on page 2!

26 minutes ago, Spongejohn said:

they make only the chipset not the entire board

they are devil incarnate. i tell ya. that one chip is going to ruin your linux wifi experience.

31 minutes ago, Spongejohn said:

that’s what I was referring when I was speaking of sponsored wannabe reviewers.

but isn’t that linus!? he was named after an operating system, how can you not worship someone who gets paid for visualizing his hardware knowledge instead of writing it into star conflict offtopic! He is hardmulticore man! U just jealous coz he so full of energy and gets paid to try to build machines no one in his right mind actually needs in his home… cmon.

Okay to be honest mostly I watched him building those crazy rigs, coz I don’t need him to explain me hardware, so I dunno how correct his stuff is. If you ask an engineer for help, he will try to explain how it works, so you can decide yourself. But if you are interested in short answers, he shows you what his employer sells you. I bet linus aint different.

Oh, when I personally talk about Linus, I usually mean the other one.

Every OS that is not Windows 10 is not recommended for gaming,period.

41 minutes ago, g4borg said:

but isn’t that linus!? he was named after an operating system, how can you not worship someone who gets paid for visualizing his hardware knowledge instead of writing it into star conflict offtopic! He is hardmulticore man! U just jealous coz he so full of energy and gets paid to try to build machines no one in his right mind actually needs in his home… cmon.

Okay to be honest mostly I watched him building those crazy rigs, coz I don’t need him to explain me hardware, so I dunno how correct his stuff is. If you ask an engineer for help, he will try to explain how it works, so you can decide yourself. But if you are interested in short answers, he shows you what his employer sells you. I bet linus aint different.

Oh, when I personally talk about Linus, I usually mean the other one.

I appreciate “not pro hardware chat”, I don’t like when those are full of marketing stuffs. Sadly those cheap chat became too much spreaded like if those are true valuable advices. It just don’t works like that. And more and more people are getting into those cra**y contents without realizing is just a “show”.

There are more deep technical channel on youtube or the old good internet magazines that are here since forever, tech forums. The fact this guy can be fun, cozy to hear and “nice”, doesn’t mean he is right (like always, the fool follow “how” things are told, not at the actual content…). You don’t have to follow a random guy on sc off topic section: just choose wisely who to listen (tell that to US population what they think about “influencers” after trump election).

Btw now that you mention, I’m starting to have some few memories about broadcom lan/wlan adapter on linux.

25 minutes ago, xXThunderFlameXx said:

Every OS that is not Windows 10 is not recommended for gaming,period.

Thank you! Too many Microsoft Windows haters out there and most of the bashers are Linux users. Don’t get me wrong, Linux is great but I am and always will be a Windows user. I know the code, how to fix it, write programs for it and most business/people use it. Also anyone still using Windows XP is just stuck man. There is just no help for you unless ofc you just can’t afford it.

IDK why but im stuck on 7 and 8.1, can’t switch to 10 yet xd

Hm,I thought everyone is able to by now,it’s free and you can pirate the full version,sorry but 250 euros for the full its just too much,trust me,the performance boost is real.

It was free for 1 year legit which is over now unfortunately.

Also, yes the performance is totally noticeable even compared to 8.1 and not just file system but also my graphics card capabilities has increased. I got used to defragmenting and ever since I got Windows 10 when I do an analysis it always says 0% fragmented and I never leave my pc on to do maintenance which means it doesn’t get fragmented anywhere near like it did in earlier os’s.

Well I guess I was lucky,maybe more luck with the next OS,now will it be good or bad?

3 minutes ago, xXThunderFlameXx said:

Well I guess I was lucky,maybe more luck with the next OS,now will it be good or bad?

From Microsoft forums/website there won’t be another Windows OS. Its known as Windows now not Windows 10. Any upgrades will still be Windows (10) like they are doing for Mac OSX.