Recruitment of translators (discussion)

For ships, think on their role as well as their English names.

Recon - short for reconnaisance (sp?). Essentially, the name should invoke scouting, gathering info and spying.

Covert Ops - means something done in secret, out of sight and in a clandestine way. The CovOps class is none of these things; it’s a glass cannon / suicide bomber. “Spy” or “assassin” might work well as a name to translate.

ECM - short for Electronic Counter Measures. Basically, take the equivalent phrase and use its abbreviation.

Gunship - likely derived from “gunboat”, which was a light vessel packing cannon. Gunship invokes images of massive firepower from a light frame, so consider a phrase that invokes that in Portugese / your language of choice.

I could go on, but you get the idea. :slight_smile:

Well, “Tackler” is easy to do, because Rugby is pretty common everywhere, and “tacklear” (to tackle) is a used verb, so “Tackleador” is perfectly fine :stuck_out_tongue:

And that’s why I keep the “mortar” part of it when translating, because it reproduces an actual mortar, but firing a hell lot more of shots.

Actually, there is an official translation of Tackler to spanish => “Placador”

Although in a combat starship sound quite bad.

Concerning railguns, the official translation is “Cañón de raíles” or “arma de raíles” so the assault railgun would be “Cañón de raíles automático”

About the coil mortar, that is quite tricky… but I think “Cañón explosivo” or “Cañón de proximidad” could do.

I could help with the translation to Spanish, although I don’t have much spare time (yeah, I’m a lucky Spanish guy, I have a job)

For ships, think on their role as well as their English names.

Recon - short for reconnaisance (sp?). Essentially, the name should invoke scouting, gathering info and spying.

Covert Ops - means something done in secret, out of sight and in a clandestine way. The CovOps class is none of these things; it’s a glass cannon / suicide bomber. “Spy” or “assassin” might work well as a name to translate.

ECM - short for Electronic Counter Measures. Basically, take the equivalent phrase and use its abbreviation.

Gunship - likely derived from “gunboat”, which was a light vessel packing cannon. Gunship invokes images of massive firepower from a light frame, so consider a phrase that invokes that in Portugese / your language of choice.

I could go on, but you get the idea. :slight_smile:

• Recon: Explorador

• Covert Ops: Operaciones especiales

• ECM: CME (Contra medidas electrónicas)

• Gunship: Cañonera

• Tackler: Placador / Caza de ataque / Persecutor

• Command: Caza de mando

• Engineer: Ingeniera

• Guard: Guardiana

• LRF: Largo alcance.

Nope. If I can manage, I’m gonna NOT use any butchered foreign words.

Is part of the globalization and the loss of identity, Don’t get me wrong, I dislike what’s happening with ALL lenguagues and how they’re losing ground, and being forgotten. You don’t know how mad I get everytime I see lines and lines and LINES of text (in spanish) without proper accentuation, bad use of symbols, excess of foreign words and that. But I can do nothing.

And returning to the “Tackleador” thing, even if I can come up with a synonym, they all sound extremely bad and out of place (“Placador”, “Derribador”, “Tumbador”), and they mean “to throw someone in the ground”, but we’re in space, how can you throw someone down?

Actually, there is an official translation of Tackler to spanish => “Placador”

Although in a combat starship sound quite bad.

Concerning railguns, the official translation is “Cañón de raíles” or “arma de raíles” so the assault railgun would be “Cañón de raíles automático”

About the coil mortar, that is quite tricky… but I think “Cañón explosivo” or “Cañón de proximidad” could do.

I could help with the translation to Spanish, although I don’t have much spare time (yeah, I’m a lucky Spanish guy, I have a job)

• Recon: Explorador

• Covert Ops: Operaciones especiales

• ECM: CME (Contra medidas electrónicas)

• Gunship: Cañonera

• Tackler: Placador / Caza de ataque / Persecutor

• Command: Caza de mando

• Engineer: Ingeniera

• Guard: Guardiana

• LRF: Largo alcance.

I appreciate your help, but I was told to try and translate it to “Neutral”, you know, a mid-ground that everyone can understand. So if you still want to give me a hand, you’re welcome.

This Thursday I’ll open up a thread in the Spanish sub-forum so everyone can propose their ideas, correct what I did wrong, point me out what needs to be fixed and etc…

BTW: I used “Cañón de Riel” :stuck_out_tongue:

Is part of the globalization and the loss of identity, Don’t get me wrong, I dislike what’s happening with ALL lenguagues and how they’re losing ground, and being forgotten. You don’t know how mad I get everytime I see lines and lines and LINES of text (in spanish) without proper accentuation, bad use of symbols, excess of foreign words and that. But I can do nothing.

And returning to the “Tackleador” thing, even if I can come up with a synonym, they all sound extremely bad and out of place (“Placador”, “Derribador”, “Tumbador”), and they mean “to throw someone in the ground”, but we’re in space, how can you throw someone down?

I’d call them “Interceptors”, but that’s already taken…

I’d call them “Interceptors”, but that’s already taken…

I wanted to do the same thing, but there are so many terms overlapping. Right now in English we have “Conqueror” and “Conquistador” as two different achievements, and that’s plain wrong, 'cause they are the exact same word u.u

What about going for “hunter” or “poacher”? That sort of lines up with the Tackler’s role.

My only other advice is assume “tackler” means “to confront a problem or issue”. Not tackler as in “someone who knocks over a player in sports”.

What about going for “hunter” or “poacher”? That sort of lines up with the Tackler’s role.

My only other advice is assume “tackler” means “to confront a problem or issue”. Not tackler as in “someone who knocks over a player in sports”.

The problem is that “caza” is the spanish word for a fighter plane but a “Caza” is a plane which hunts, so “cazador” won’t do. I also though about that,  but thanks anyway.

I wanted to do the same thing, but there are so many terms overlapping. Right now in English we have “Conqueror” and “Conquistador” as two different achievements, and that’s plain wrong, 'cause they are the exact same word u.u

“Conquistador” invokes very different mental imagery to “conqueror”. In English circles, at any rate. The former tends to invoke images of mercenaries / soldiers who looted and pillaged South America, whereas the latter is more neutral of context.

You don’t know how many hours I spent searching and searching for synonyms and descriptions, my head is about to explode (over 30 hours in the translation program since Friday). But I guess in time, with the help of fellow members, the translation can be done. That’s why I want to have everything done for tomorrow, so everyone can start signaling me what’s wrong, what’s confusing, what’s in need to be changed and how.

“Conquistador” invokes very different mental imagery to “conqueror”. In English circles, at any rate. The former tends to invoke images of mercenaries / soldiers who looted and pillaged South America, whereas the latter is more neutral of context.

Nonono. Conquistadores were merely Spanish soldiers who “explored” South America.

The term “Conquistador” means the same as “Conqueror” = To conquer. So I have a dilemma. The best I can think of is to give the lower-grade achievement the “Conquistador” line (“Conqueror”) and the other the “Gran Conquistador” (“Great Conqueror”). Otherwise it won’t make sense.

Even if Spanish Conquerors were to pillage the gold and kill the natives in America, we are speaking about the general term, not the specific people from Spain that were called that way.

We need a ship called “Inca” or “Maya”.

The Conquistadores didn’t looted and pillaged America more than the Red coats and the French did in the North.

But the British did a good propaganda job in the 17th and 18th century against spanish interests, because the Spanish Empire was declining, and the British one was raising.

I don’t think an Aztec or an Apache would find a difference between Cortés or Caster.

The Conquistadores didn’t looted and pillaged America more than the Red coats and the French did in the North.

But the British did a good propaganda job in the 17th and 18th century against spanish interests, because the Spanish Empire was declining, and the British one was raising.

I don’t think an Aztec or an Apache would find a difference between Cortés or Caster.

So true. I don’t think ANY “conquered” will find a difference, in the end, all the “Conquerors” did the same: Kill, pillage and steal lands. But of course, we can’t think of it as how we live now, we need to see it with its historical context.

So what you’re saying is that the conquistadores DIDN’T plunder, murder and god knows what else, entire civilizations with thousands of years of history and culture?

So what you’re saying is that the conquistadores DIDN’T plunder, murder and god knows what else, entire civilizations with thousands of years of history and culture?

Of course they did, like any other conquering army in that time when they arrived to America. But It is funny how Alexander the great is considered the greatest hero in the ancient times, but Cortés is merely treated like a devil spawn.

And both of them did the same.

I’m sorry for the aztecs and the Incas, but I can’t feel any pity for them. They tried to fight a vastly superior enemy, and they had enslaved lots of other smaller civilizations which rebelled against them when the Spanish arrived.

Please, let’s try to not derail and make of this an historical debate, because we’ll never end.

Of course they did, like any other conquering army in that time when they arrived to America. But It is funny how Alexander the great is considered the greatest hero in the ancient times, but Cortés is merely treated like a devil spawn.

I’m sorry for the aztecs and the Incas, but I can’t feel any pity for them. They tried to fight a vastly superior enemy, and they had enslaved lots of other smaller civilizations which rebelled against them when the Spanish arrived.

That was the other way around, tbh… The Conquistadores saw the immensity of gold, got greedy, the Aztecs didn’t like it and tried to throw them out. Then all hell broke lose.

Alexander is considered a hero because he unified the city-states. Then he got stupid and decided India was a good place to conquer.

I have problem with long words…

Recon: Zwiadowca

Covert Ops: Siły Specjalne

ECM: ECM

Gunship: Szturmowiec

Tackler: Przechwytujący

Command: Dowodzący

Engineering: Inżynier

Guard: Strażnik

Long Range: Dalekiego zasięgu