New icons are bad

Icons change is completely disorienting and doesn’t bring anything positive to the game.

Please revert it or at least provide the option to use old icons

• active module look horrible. basically squiggly lines on a solid background

• passives don’t look very distinguishable at that small size… texture detail gets lost when its shown at that small size on ship slots

I’d get it if they looked better than before. but they don’t, honestly. New Icons are the only thing I hate about this new update

The difference between the actives and passives is like toys’r’us and playdoh xd

the passives look like pieces to be installed on a ship’s hull (represented on the ship models)

the actives look  like icons

yes, don’t understand why they found usefull to change modules’s apparences…was already done no so long ago, and before was much nice and understandable.

Now it’s very ugly and above all, it’s hard to reconise its.

lucky i don’t move all time my modules… but still, was absolutely not nécessary.

It bring nothing to  the game, only complications.

But at least you do not know your own modules in the battle.  ![:):](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/).png “:):”)

10 minutes ago, SheenShade said:

yes, don’t understand why they found usefull to change modules’s apparences…was already done no so long ago, and before was much nice and understandable.

Now it’s very ugly and above all, it’s hard to reconise its.

lucky i don’t move all time my modules… but still, was absolutely not nécessary.

It bring nothing to  the game, only complications.

I have a feeling that this game is not made for us but someone else.

It’s not logical with what they did. Also, I can see small cubes because of their size and thus, poor texture resolution, even at 16:9.

Instead of making new icons, you could at least leave the old ones and just make sure that all the module textures are sharper/crispier.

I don’t like em either, doesn’t make sense.

Normally one uses such icons, to save money.

One should remind them, that an interface is supposed to make things easier & logical. Icons are made to be instantly recognisable, you have failed in all that.

I thought , icons were reduced in complexity due to improvenem effort for more FPS?

1 minute ago, avarshina said:

I thought , icons were reduced in complexity due to improvenem effort for more FPS?

Nope, icon complexity doesn’t affect performance. They are probably even in higher resolution now because of the atlas, but maybe they also have them in multiple resolutions in the game files, but I doubt that since they look really ugly in small (probably due to downscaling).

20 hours ago, _terrorblade said:

Icons change is completely disorienting and doesn’t bring anything positive to the game.

Please revert it or at least provide the option to use old icons

• active module look horrible. basically squiggly lines on a solid background

• passives don’t look very distinguishable at that small size… texture detail gets lost when its shown at that small size on ship slots

I’d get it if they looked better than before. but they don’t, honestly. New Icons are the only thing I hate about this new update

I’d rather keep them, I like the more uniform feel they have

12 minutes ago, avarshina said:

no, to go even further than john explained, if the color depth is 32 bit, each pixel has 32 bit. so it does not matter at all, which colors you use; and in memory the picture is always uncompressed.

i really whish to know where this rumor started.

at first i was also unhappy with the active module icons. i still am. however, the color codes of the icons (red for damage, green for heal, blue for shield, etc.) does make a bit sense.

seeing the little star explaining this is a premium module in battle makes no sense however, and the icons are so complex, that monochromatic versions just lose tons of information.

the old icons at least carried information through their colors, even if you sometimes had no idea what they depicted.

the passive icons look more like items, and i care less about their looks, but they also were better in the old style. it was visible fast e.g. if you take a kinetic, em or thermal shield resist. now all of them have different shapes and looks. some might be better, others are worse. and some are even less thought through, like vernier engines  looking nothing like a vernier engine, even if the old icon was a bit ugly.

the resources are the main positive. computing chips look like computing chips now, memory blocks like memory  blocks. screened batteries and monocrystals just stayed ugly as f* however, curious.

hearing the hangar sound all over the game, was also quite disturbing. i hope they fixed that.

1 hour ago, g4borg said:

seeing the little star explaining this is a premium module in battle makes no sense however, and the icons are so complex …

it denotes the +3% synergy gains, though (dunno if it gets into rewards - not much transparency in the reward-data shown)

4 hours ago, avarshina said:

it denotes the +3% synergy gains, though (dunno if it gets into rewards - not much transparency in the reward-data shown)

i know that but thats totally unimportant in a battle hud

2 hours ago, g4borg said:

battle hud

Oh boy that’s the worst now. I can’t tell ANY of the effects i’m under because the visuals all changed :/

3 hours ago, g4borg said:

i know that but thats totally unimportant in a battle hud

g4borg: no, no, pls. think again, how would you make your decision to equip your ship with best available module? take 3 of these and you get +9% synergy - that’s not nothing …

the little star doesn’t trouble - or are you arguing from design perspective?

[terrorblade](< base_url >/?app=core&module=members&controller=profile&id=243375) said:

Oh boy that’s the worst now. I can’t tell ANY of the effects i’m under because the visuals all changed :/

… yes and very small , and the many they are – nearly not decipherable ; but we will adopt eventually in time !!!

6 hours ago, avarshina said:

g4borg: no, no, pls. think again, how would you make your decision to equip your ship with best available module? take 3 of these and you get +9% synergy - that’s not nothing …

the little star doesn’t trouble - or are you arguing from design perspective?

IMO that little star doesn’t fit into the new design of active modules icons. Everything has a flat design except this damn star.

In my opinion, 4 year old kid could draw them better. It’s hard to recognize what is installed on the active slots, i wouldn’t mind to have actual flat icons on passive modules, where you have time to read descriptions, but in combat I need something that is easily recognizable, especially when I change ships a lot or on destroyers where the active module location defines also the direction where the module works, this is just some white pictogram that is hard to recognize on 2 or more rectangles of same color that makes me look closely before i use anything. It’s just easier to remove all of them from ship and not use any at all except weapon, missiles and special module, which are always on the same button for specific ships.

Looks like devs managed to get the icons from intuitive form into stone age (because the new active icons remind me cuneiform or runes which I can’t read as well or output of the old turtle drawing programming language for beginners to learn work with graphics - Logo). It’s like not having any active modules at all or firing random effects in battle. Don’t force me to use sticks with active module descriptions glued to my monitor and change them every time I will change ship…

Well, I have a solution - I will not use any active modules until they will be more contrast and better recognizable again.

Old icons or 3D (like the passive modules) would be nice or let people decide which set they will use - or even better make them modifiable by players - could be stored as zip files and the file name would be displayed in menu as selection for the icon set - adding new file into specific directory would add new selection in the menu.

Of topic - but still related to the update: There are other things that make me consider playing this game further - like too small font (and not adjustable size) in missions menu, not intuitive placing of the missions in menu or displaying of the completed mission - took me 10 minutes to even find where the mission menu is, how to select specific mission for PVE and another 10 minutes to find magnifying glass to read the missions easier without reading 15 cm from the monitor. And normally I don’t have problem to read small font, but in the game it looks like wrongly resized font as somewhere it has thick lines and somewhere it’s thin and not consistent size and thickness of the same characters and together with that not very good contrast so it looks more like improperly resized font (or not native size of raster font) - can you at least implement resize option for texts, preferably for specific windows? Also the possibility to resize the windows themselves (like the chat window) would be nice.

2 minutes ago, JaCen said:

In my opinion, 4 year old kid could draw them better. It’s hard to recognize what is installed on the active slots, i wouldn’t mind to have actual flat icons on passive modules, where you have time to read descriptions, but in combat I need something that is easily recognizable, especially when I change ships a lot or on destroyers where the active module location defines also the direction where the module works, this is just some white pictogram that is hard to recognize on 2 or more rectangles of same color that makes me look closely before i use anything. It’s just easier to remove all of them from ship and not use any at all except weapon, missiles and special module, which are always on the same button for specific ships.

Looks like devs managed to get the icons from intuitive form into stone age (because the new active icons reminds me cuneiform or runes which I can’t read as well or output of the old turtle drawing programming language for beginners to learn work with graphics - Logo). It’s like not having any active modules at all or firing random effects in battle. Don’t force me to use sticks with active module descriptions glued to my monitor and change them every time I will change ship…

Well, I have a solution - I will not use any active modules until they will be more contrast and better recognizable again.

Old icons or 3D (like the passive modules) would be nice or let people decide which set they will use - or even better make them modifiable by players - could be stored as zip files and the file name would be displayed in menu as selection for the icon set - adding new file into specific directory would add new selection in the menu.

Of topic - but still related to the update: There are other things that make me consider playing this game further - like too small font (and not adjustable size) in missions menu, not intuitive placing of the missions in menu or displaying of the completed mission - took me 10 minutes to even find where the mission menu is, how to select specific mission for PVE and another 10 minutes to find magnifying glass to read the missions easier without reading 15 cm from the monitor. And normally I don’t have problem to read small font, but in the game it looks like wrongly resized font as somewhere it has thick lines and somewhere it’s thin and not consistent size and thickness of the same characters and together with that not very good contrast so it looks more like improperly resized font (or not native size of raster font) - can you at least implement resize option for texts, preferably for specific windows? Also the possibility to resize the windows themselves (like the chat window) would be nice.

Agreed.

Game should be user-friendly.

-easy to understand before you start to play

-transparent

New icons for modules are more than confusing.

Please give us back icons that we have before update.

I think only one that 100% love this update is Grumpy Gus.

On 3/8/2018 at 6:09 AM, SunnySweet said:

New icons for modules are more than confusing.

Please give us back icons that we have before update.

Agreed!

I hope the DEV’s considers changing the icons back before the update.  I’m a visual person and struggling with the new icons.  I can only imagine how the color blind players feels. 

Please reconsider this Dev’s.

Plus 1 to bring back the old icons. i hate them. I am so lost with the new ones. Everything else is a shell shocker enough, but that’s just over the top.