"Match-Speed" Toggle

[EDIT] As has been noted by me multiple times further on in this thread, this is primarily an OPEN SPACE recommendation and especially useful for sizable groups moving long distances in Open Space. Please think of it in that regard. Thanks [/EDIT]

My recommendation would be for a “Match-Speed” toggle (for allied pilots) to allow pilots to more easily fly in formation. If activated, a pilot would match the speed of the ally.

This could be achieved either by first targeting an ally and toggling the action, or - if for use in a squad or wing - perhaps a “flight leader” could be selected before flight and at any time during the flight, allies could toggle “Match-Speed” to decelerate/accelerate to his speed.

Thoughts? / Suggestions? / What would you do differently?

-LIB

Battlestar Galactica Online have such a feature. You can match your speed to Allied/NPC ships, not sure about enemies though.

You can do it in SC as well. There are +/- and max/zero commands for speed which allows you to increse/decrease speed with a pre set value so all you need is a TS and some command coordination. Full speed ahead…:slight_smile:

We have an auto afterburner, auto thruster, now we only need match speed with other pilot/npc.

• from me

You can do it in SC as well. There are +/- and max/zero commands for speed which allows you to increse/decrease speed with a pre set value so all you need is a TS and some command coordination. Full speed ahead…:slight_smile:

What you’re saying is you yourself matching the speed. What OP is saying is a button/option that matches the speed on it’s own. Also if you try +/- it will jump numbers, sometimes that jump will make you faster/slower than your ally.

What you’re saying is you yourself matching the speed. What OP is saying is a button/option that matches the speed on it’s own. Also if you try +/- it will jump numbers, sometimes that jump will make you faster/slower than your ally.

Yes. I was not sure whether it was a fixed value or proportional to the ship’s max speed so just wanted to test it… haven’t used it for a long time.

Additionally, if the flight-leader speeds up or slows down, everyone matching his speed will follow suit. It doesn’t turn for them, merely matches speed.

We need this. Especially for those awful carrier transport missions in OS.

Checked it. Speed increase/decrease values are really dependent on max speed. But I still think that it is not so important to have something like this. 

Well you can hush then. Changing your speed manually isn’t even accurate as it jumps speed. Instead of going from 2 to 3, it goes from 2 to 11.

Auto adjust speed to player/npc is needed because awesome and legendary reasons and flight in general.

Just added a poll to this thread.

It’s called knowing where your teammates are and flying with them. Not that hard.

And adaptive shields will make this feature useless to those who use them.

It’s called knowing where your teammates are and flying with them. Not that hard.

Never said that was hard. This isn’t a “necessity” addition - this is a “convenience” addition.

And adaptive shields will make this feature useless to those who use them.

So you break the “match speed” toggle and start flying at 110% if you’re being shot at and adaptive is what you’re concerned about. The point of “match speed” would obviously be for close formation flight (preceding a battle). Close formations are broken once a dog-fight begins, both in the real world and in fantasy space flight.

Understanding this is …

…Not that hard.

Well the problem is that most ships, even those not using adaptives, are likely to be travelling at max speed anyhow when flying from A to B. Speed + rotation + strafe = good dodging = good speed tank.

And “fleet formation flying” offers no advantages, even before the battle starts. Any good pilot will stick close to his engy for heals, and will protect it. This should automatically form loose “fleets”, as they move from beacon to beacon, for example.

And there is already a toggle max speed/toggle min speed keybind. I don’t know many people that use it much though, outside of invasion. It can be a real hinder when you wish to manoeuvre more freely.

I still think it would be a good option to have.

Like I always said; If you don’t like it, don’t use it.

Never said that was hard. This isn’t a “necessity” addition - this is a “convenience” addition.

So you break the “match speed” toggle and start flying at 110% if you’re being shot at and adaptive is what you’re concerned about. The point of “match speed” would obviously be for close formation flight (preceding a battle). Close formations are broken once a dog-fight begins, both in the real world and in fantasy space flight.

Understanding this is …

No. If you fly 110% the engis will not be able to heal fully. And as millan says, formations are useless in this game. You ball up, don’t break LOS, and ping a target. Flying in an echelon or line or abreast or whatever formation there is out there serves no purpose.

Alright, so to put this out there (I thought people would be thinking more about all of the potential scenarios - not just one game mode (PVP)), I was thinking more along the lines of use in Open Space.

An Example:

If, for instance, you had a wing traveling out to salvage or PVP a number of sectors away, or perhaps you had a group traveling between stations together (perhaps running Monocrystal dailies together), and you wanted to stay together around your slowest team-member during the trip - a “Match Speed” toggle would make the journey more convenient for everyone.

I fail to see why this extra keybinding feature would be a “problem”. Just because it doesn’t fit a “need” in PVP or PVE doesn’t make it a “problem”. It would be an unobtrusive convenience and give no-one an unfair advantage in a competitive environment.

I feel like a large swath of this community is just resistant to any change like it was some three years ago. Doesn’t matter if it’s a small change, or something that won’t affect them - it’s a change “so I’m against it!” I don’t understand this.

I am against changes that are useless to the game. Which is this suggestion in general.

The devs can work on something that is more pressing instead of making changes that do nothing.