How to fix disconnecting players

buuuuut if pilots are locked into battle, there doesn’t need to be a punishment.

people who disconnect should be replace by bots or people in que. 

If i understand it right, you want players who leave/get disconnected to remain bound to the match they left; until that match end they cannot connect to another. I think it’s the best approach since it’s not a punishment per see but may help discouraging deserter from quiting whenever the match don’t please them.

ye and if u have to go for a good reason, it doesn’t matter.

And honestly, if someone disconnects, their ship should not exist in-game anymore.  I’m tired of seeing people focusing the disconnected player for “kills.” Because that’s stupid, it wastes time, and it doesn’t do anything to progress the game.  If someone disconnects, their ship should disappear.  If any other player, AI or otherwise, joins the game, then they warp in like any regular player would.  However, to prevent disconnecting to not die, there needs to be a 30 second delay to rejoin if the player simply left the game him/herself because THAT actually takes the USER to do.  Not internet crapping out.

If people click to leave the battle, they won’t be reconnecting period. It’s a pointless suggestion - people don’t abandon battles then rejoin!

I asked you to re-read my suggestion, and since you obviously didn’t do that, I’ve made your life easier.  My proposal would remove ships after they disconnect for any reason.

Nah, i don’t like that idea. just locking the pilot in the game would work. 

*echo, echo, ECHO*

xD 

Error has said before that locking the pilot into a battle is the way things used to be, and that it attracted a lot of flame. He has also said that they don’t want to force a player to play a game that they don’t want to.

I quite like the idea of replacing disconnected players with bots. Replacing with other players could be good, but I would worry about the possibility of being put in for the last 1min of a match where your team are being spawncamped - not fun.

Not sure, if I do like the bot idea. Not really need other players joining either.

However, Engle, disconnected players do not respawn. The ship stays in battle, and that’s good, if you try to reconnect from a crash; sometimes you are still alive. So you cannot gain a lot of kills by this, once the disconnected ship is destroyed, it won’t spawn new ones.

I actually agree with ArcTic in one thing: if you leave the battle, you either reconnect to that battle, or wait until it’s over. You should not be able to play other games in the meantime. You had your reasons to quit, you can wait 10 minutes max. Maybe only allow Invasion with a ship not in battle.

I don’t need any special mechanics for this, like locking ships or hot joining for other people.

I can’t tell how often I crashed the game right before the end, didn’t get any loot because I was a deserter when relogging, and I felt like: ok if i really had done this by my free will, i would accept the punishment, but now I just tolerate it. And I even had once the problem, that the game session didn’t let me back to the battle, failing again and again, while a friend of mine playing over the same net was still in battle :/. These bugs can appear anytime, even if fixed, in future bugs. The system should be flexible enough to not punish you too hard for things you haven’t commited, but enough, to find players who do this on purpose, to show them this “freedom of leaving games” does not mean, it has to become part of your character.

I despise players, who do this on purpose. I despise ragequitters. If you want to be good, you have to accept defeat with honor. Accept your fate and make it better. And not purposefully ruin other’s experience, by picking the games “you like to play, because this time i am on the winning side, so carry me”

Again, locking players out is not on the cards (Error said so), but it’s also a bad idea.

Remember, the game can’t distinguish accidental and malicious disconnecting. If you get kicked from a game by accident, that’s annoying. To discover you are now not getting any reward for that game, but still have to pay repair / reload costs is annoying. To then find your ships are locked out is even more annoying. All of these things are actually BAD for the game - people who become annoyed at games stop playing, and the game needs people to keep playing to act as both a source of income, and a source of value.

Locking people out of ALL their ships if they disconnect is just pushing people away from the game even more, which is actively working against the interests of the game.

You might want to see the disconnected pilot punished, but the fact is this game already punishes disconnecting more than most games do, and yet if anything the disconnect rate is higher than what I see elsewhere!

Not sure, if I do like the bot idea. Not really need other players joining either.

However, Engle, disconnected players do not respawn. The ship stays in battle, and that’s good, if you try to reconnect from a crash; sometimes you are still alive. So you cannot gain a lot of kills by this, once the disconnected ship is destroyed, it won’t spawn new ones.

I actually agree with ArcTic in one thing: if you leave the battle, you either reconnect to that battle, or wait until it’s over. You should not be able to play other games in the meantime. You had your reasons to quit, you can wait 10 minutes max. Maybe only allow Invasion with a ship not in battle.

I don’t need any special mechanics for this, like locking ships or hot joining for other people.

I can’t tell how often I crashed the game right before the end, didn’t get any loot because I was a deserter when relogging, and I felt like: ok if i really had done this by my free will, i would accept the punishment, but now I just tolerate it. And I even had once the problem, that the game session didn’t let me back to the battle, failing again and again, while a friend of mine playing over the same net was still in battle :/. These bugs can appear anytime, even if fixed, in future bugs. The system should be flexible enough to not punish you too hard for things you haven’t commited, but enough, to find players who do this on purpose, to show them this “freedom of leaving games” does not mean, it has to become part of your character.

I despise players, who do this on purpose. I despise ragequitters. If you want to be good, you have to accept defeat with honor. Accept your fate and make it better. And not purposefully ruin other’s experience, by picking the games “you like to play, because this time i am on the winning side, so carry me”

It’s OK. BREATH. You’re going to be alright. I have found a cure! 

Another idea:

If the match has bots, and a player disconnects, one of the opposing team’s bots is taken out of play (self-destructs and doesn’t respawn).

That way, the team that lost a player to disconnect won’t be quite as disadvantaged.

That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works.

If you remove an enemy bot from play, that enemy of can no longer feed kills. For example, suppose that both human teams are static, not moving, because of camping where no human side can get the upper hand. Usually both sides of bots rush in and get themselves killed. If one team no longer has bots that feeds kills to the other team then that one team gets an advantage because their frag count gets higher while the other frag count remains the same.

So not only does Team B have a disconnector but they also have to deal with their bot feeding the Team A kills.