How to fix disconnecting players

Here’s what I’m trying to work out, though.  Say you’re connceted via a hardwire.  :You disconnect the hardwire, and internet is shut off.  How would the game client know if the cable was unplugged or simply lost connection.  Or, some comps have a key for wireless adapter, and when pressed, turns adapter off.  These two things need to be figured out so that someone can’t get a “Internet Issue” by disconnecting the cable or modem, etc.

And yes, to the log-in thing.  I hate that I have to log-in EVERY time my internet xxxx out on me.  I live in a place with horrid internet connection (500+ ping constantly with 25% PL on most servers).  I have to do this routine at least 10 times a day.  it gets old.  Just let the client resume connection and automatically rejoin the game.  Who doesn’t want to do this?  Stupid.

It is by far not that easy.

How do you recognize if someone kills the conenction on the router?

What if someone disconnects for a good reason like an important email or someone at the door?

What if you choose the wrong battle/ship? Should you be forced to play even so you don’t want to?

Furthermore players should have their privacy so we don’t want to check what they do with their hardware.

What if someone disconnects for a good reason like an important email or someone at the door?

What if you choose the wrong battle/ship? Should you be forced to play even so you don’t want to?

Furthermore players should have their privacy so we don’t want to check what they do with their hardware.

But if the pilot is locked in battle, it doesn’t matter. It will discourage disconnecting and if they come back, they can rejoin.

I sometimes disconnect due to IRL calling but do it as little as possible. people have the right to disconnect. 

[Ahem](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/25137-punishment-for-disconnecting/).

too long 2 read. i’ll wait for the movie. 

@Engle I subscribe to what Error said. There is no way to find the player’s intentions in this case. This has been discussed over and over.

nooooooooooooooooooooooo… you don’t get it. People like you are the reason why i have a soft desk. :stuck_out_tongue:

just lock the pilot in the battle until it’s over and shazam, problem fixed!

People like you are the reason why i have a soft desk. :stuck_out_tongue:

the head desk manouver is supposed to be occasional!

anyway, i like what error wrote. i don’t like to disconnect,  but it happens, that the game crashes, internet goes down, you gotta go irl coz its important, whatever

^^yeah. definitely. 

I have a thought…(may or may not be a good one)… have the MM put someone into the game to replace ppl who disconnect. IE - someone leaves battle and I’m in que… i go into the battle thats already going.

I can guess this would cause other issues but I can’t see how they would be worse than the one its fixing.

That could work. like in COD

I have a thought…(may or may not be a good one)… have the MM put someone into the game to replace ppl who disconnect. IE - someone leaves battle and I’m in que… i go into the battle thats already going.

I can guess this would cause other issues but I can’t see how they would be worse than the one its fixing.

I like that as it is nice for every one.

Though I see some complain come : “Oh i connect again to a game that they are losing” “What I wait 4 min just to arrive at 30 seconds of the end of the battle”

So need some tweaking.

Ok, I’ll make an extra topic for that video for you, so we can finally end this hero complex you have there.

kPhPSuW.jpg  PLEASE DO IT

The player base is far too small, to be bothering about punishing anyone for dissconnecting, it will only drive players away.

Can we please stop these multiple topic threads on the same inaine subject(s).

Okay, so how about this.

Game says “Disconnected” when player’s internet goes out.

But the game says “Player Left Battle” when hitting “Leave Battle.”

Sure, real life may call, and if that’s the case then make a prompt that then invites the MM to take an action following the action taken by the player.  He can select “Allow Bot to resume ship control” “Invite one of my friends to take my place” “Invite a random player in queue to join the battle” etc.

And honestly, if someone disconnects, their ship should not exist in-game anymore.  I’m tired of seeing people focusing the disconnected player for “kills.” Because that’s stupid, it wastes time, and it doesn’t do anything to progress the game.  If someone disconnects, their ship should disappear.  If any other player, AI or otherwise, joins the game, then they warp in like any regular player would.  However, to prevent disconnecting to not die, there needs to be a 30 second delay to rejoin if the player simply left the game him/herself because THAT actually takes the USER to do.  Not internet crapping out.

There are plenty of ways to change this.  I will not stand for “Oh, well it’s kinda hard to take an action for this kind of thing…” because that’s thinking INSIDE the box.

The problem is just about every single solution presented takes the view of “guilty until proven innocent,” and that’s the nice ones; the nasty ones are “guilty no matter what”, and then decide to be utterly draconian. Internet cut out? You clearly did it on purpose! Banned from the game for 24 hours!

That’s not the way to fix this.

The problem is just about every single solution presented takes the view of “guilty until proven innocent,” and that’s the nice ones; the nasty ones are “guilty no matter what”, and then decide to be utterly draconian. Internet cut out? You clearly did it on purpose! Banned from the game for 24 hours!

That’s not the way to fix this.

My most recent suggestion does not do this.  Players will not be “punished” if they leave the battle.  They just can’t reconnect for 30 seconds if they click that button to prevent unfair gameplay (only a valid option if ships have to re-warp after disconnects).

If you get disconnected because of internet issues, you can reconnect whenever you’d like.

Re-read my suggestion :slight_smile:

If people click to leave the battle, they won’t be reconnecting period. It’s a pointless suggestion - people don’t abandon battles then rejoin!

But they might do it to avoid dying. Then rejoin and re-warp.

But they might do it to avoid dying. Then rejoin and re-warp.

Except that their ship remains in game and so they still die (they’re actually more likely to die, seeing as disconnected ships just float there until blown up), and a while back the game was changed so disconnecting had a negative impact on your skill rating.

So there is nobody who does what you are suggesting.

buuuuut if pilots are locked into battle, there doesn’t need to be a punishment.

people who disconnect should be replace by bots or people in que.