Wobble solution

Instead of having the server send the player movement information, have the player send the server movement information! It is utterly idiotic to have it the way that it is now. If you switched, even people with insanely high ping could play the game! The only movement info that should be sent by the server should be bot and AI movement.

That’s fricking it.

I can’t do anything at all where I am living now. I am stuck at 800 ping on a GOOD day. Any other day its 2500-4500…

Instead of having the server send the player movement information, have the player send the server movement information! It is utterly idiotic to have it the way that it is now. If you switched, even people with insanely high ping could play the game! The only movement info that should be sent by the server should be bot and AI movement.

That’s fricking it.

I can’t do anything at all where I am living now. I am stuck at 800 ping on a GOOD day. Any other day its 2500-4500…

that would put a heavy load on the player’s cpu, and router*.

You’d get the same problem, if not worse, and also this would open up a new can of worms:

Speedhacks, Telehack, Super Aim Assist.

basically these hijack clientside data (movement sent to server) and make it more “enhanced”.

From making you hit 1,500m/s in 5 seconds without afterburner or MicroWarp to flipping a frigate 180 degrees in an instant… This idea is a bad idea.

*based on how this was explained in the OP.

But ship limits are server side… There’s a set speed and acceleration on every ship. ^^;

The more is done by the client alone, the easier it gets to modify data and create hacks. Also not every player has a decent internet connection.

:01414:   :015j:

Also not every player has a decent internet connection.

:013j:

But I am the prince of this nation and I deserve better. Bow before me minions. Thou art not worthy of my presence.

But seriously though, there are more ways to stop cheating that require almost no effort.

Best part: You already have them built in to the game. Xp

But I am the prince of this nation and I deserve better. Bow before me minions. Thou art not worthy of my presence.

But seriously though, there are more ways to stop cheating that require almost no effort.

Best part: You already have them built in to the game. Xp

it would still get allot harder to moderate the game.

Also, this game would become more demanding on our PC’s.

Check out Combat Arms, for example.

They use clientside data, which allows for an easy way to cheat.

Sure, you could get VAC banned on steam, but that’s on behalf of VALVe if you get enough reports for hacking against you.

it would still get allot harder to moderate the game.

Also, this game would become more demanding on our PC’s.

Check out Combat Arms, for example.

They use clientside data, which allows for an easy way to cheat.

Sure, you could get VAC banned on steam, but that’s on behalf of VALVe if you get enough reports for hacking against you.

Do you even know what you’re talking about?

The solution, I think, is proper server maintenance + good equipment + good people running the good equipment…+ plenty of sweetrolls and coffee.

I agree with the Designers.

The less that is on a Client box the less chance there is for an exploit to occur.

As a Designer / Developer myself, might I suggest some things to do for your machine to increase speeds and enjoy it more.

Close and unload any programs you do not need.  Give the game the full run of the box.

Tune your machine.  I suggest a fantasitic set of utilities at www.iobit.com called Advanced System Care.   Activate its Game Mode and let it manage stopping all nonensuall applications while you play then it starts them back up again after you exit from the game.  (no I don’t work for iobit and not promoting them, its just a fantistic set of tools I recommend to all my clients for PC Tuning)

Advanced Level User

Open Task Manager after starting the Client Application and move all none critical running applications to LOW Priority and move the Game Client Application to ABOVE NORMAL priority

Make sure your ports are authorized at the Routers.   Forum has the listed port values.  One closed port may cause something to redirect and be received on a different port, slowing down the transmissions in and out.

Make sure your Router and Modems have all the current Firmware applied.   Most firmware updates after sale of hardware is for speed and features, so having them up to date ensures you are getting the best the hardware can supply.

Make sure your Router can fully support your ISP data rates.   Many a time Ive just had a client buy a new router because they up’d their ISP Line speeds but didn’t realize the router at the end did not support the higher rates and the Line was still transmitting and bottlenecking at the router.

If you can, use a Hardline Cat5 or Cat6 connection to play and not WiFi.   Putting a WiFi connection in the send/receive mix adds overhead to encrypt and convert to the radio signal, send, validate/resend (if poor connection or range) then receive and decrypt and convert back to hard signal in a box even before it gets to the CPU and GPUs to execute.   If WiFi is the only method of connection, then use 2 WiFi NICs both connected.   You wont transmit on both connections, but there is a little unknown feature of NIC Sharing in Windows that can be used to offload some of the WiFi tasks to the secondary NIC Controller.    Its standard practice for me to use the builtin wifi on a laptop and have a USB wifi also plugged in for this very reason.   On high packet transmissions, the First NIC will offload from the buffers to the second NIC for decrypting  and formatting.   Think of it as Cooperative Processing of the data stream before the data reaches the internals of the box for processing.

Review your Quality of Service (QoS) setting on your ISP Line.   Most settings have 25% of the bandwidth reserved for QoS by default and no one ever changes them.   It very feasible to drop to 5 or even 10% and release some of the reserve for normal usage.

There are many Windows tweaks to the system itself one can do using such utilities that move data in and out of CPUs and GPUs and NICs.   A standard tweak I perform on my personal boxes is I look at a the blocking factors of the Hardware Caches of the data drives and I tweak the IO Blocks to and from Windows (soft) to be the same value as the hardware ones.   Windows by default is a 512k block in software.   If the drive is a 4M Cache onboard, I will adjust the windows so that 16 I/Os dont have to be executed moving data to/from memory/cache just to get the data to be streamed to the CPUs.

Use Dual or Quad CPUs.   Most new boxes are at least dual for low end and quad for mid priced boxes.   The more concurent CPUs running the less each has to work and the faster data gets to you the user.

One can never stress MEMORY, MEMORY, MEMORY…the more the merrier.   Graphics are memory intensive.   The more detail you want on those graphics, the more memory is needed to hold all the data to please you.   As I spec a machine for clients, I evaluate the memory needed then multiply by 2.25.   The result is the amount they REALLY need, since no developer, designer, or hardware manufacture really understands just what the box or application will be used for by the user.   SOme can really bog down a machine and load every application in the world onto it.  So over the years my “Double it and add some more” way of spec memory pays off.   A Client isnt calling again in a few weeks or months that they are out of memory or slow.

I realize some of the above is kinda off topic and are really things not related to the game.   But all are ways to increase the response of the game.  Its Server based, transmitting tons of data and graphics and signals including audio at times if the Voice feature is active) and a user or game player wants it to be as if its thinking ahead of their every thought before they even think of it.    Were not there yet in Technology with Implants (game pun intended).  But we are better off then we were…say… 10 years ago…when something like this game could never even run on the tech from then.

As for the record, I run the game on an older laptop, dual monitor, extended desktop, WiFi, dual NICs …and Ive never had the Wobble effect or a Ping over 100.   ISP is less then 100M up/dn.  

Ive worked with Russian Developers in the past of my career and I have the upmost respect for the way they can make features do amazing things in core, in logic and in the way they think of a solution to a problem.  As Americans we sometimes fail to realize that they may not have access to some tech we take for granted and work within the “box” they have before them.   I was once privy to one of the best memory I/O to/from Disk for a game Id ever seen because the developer was russian and coded it all on a original PC with an 8086 CPU and not a Pentium class box and they needed to work around the limits of the hardware that was available to them.  It was from that I gained my respect for Russian coders and she was on my Development Team for years providing solutions and ways of thinking that would amaze clients and keep costs down.

With all that being said…dont assume everything is a bug or logic flaw.   Could be you.   Worst thing to do would be to have a working piece of logic gone thru for revision/correction searching for a wobble when it does not exist at the Server Level side.

Hope this all helps.

Despite all that I think my ping will still be over 300 to the Russian or European servers… Adsl 1000kb up