As far as i have seen, these are my analysis on the 3 frigate weapons avaliable universally to any frigate class.
- Role: Varies according to fit and use.
- Pros: Extremely versatile, with average stats of damage, rate of fire heating limit and range. Primary advantage is hitscan, making it viable against just about any type of enemy. Can be fitted in various ways for various types of combat depending on player preference. Excellent beginner weapon
- Cons: Its versatility is also a downside as you will not excel at anything. Players who are not good at tracking targets will find this weapon very hard to use as its true DPS comes when all 6 lasers hit their mark non-stop for a period of time.
- Solution: This weapon has no glaring downside that can be covered, it depends on the player’s choice of combat style to fit the weapon accordingly.
- Role: Suppression, Uber short-range firepower
- Pros: This weapon has the highest DPS in the game if all its rounds hit while at its max fire rate, capable of killing even Guard frigates within seconds.
- Cons: Despite a decent range, high spread at its max fire rate results in only 30% of shots fired hitting their target at max range.
- Solution: Strap on implants or Electronic guidance to reduce the spread significantly
- Role: Long range fire support, Shield decimator
- Pros: Powerful alpha strike capability, 1 shot can easily reduce a targets shields to 0, key to this weapon is “surprise” in a single shot.
- Cons: Hit or miss weapon. If you hit, congratulations. If you miss, sorry you are dead. Low ROF makes this weapon useless in close quarters.
- Solution: Since this weapon fails at close combat, fit it for improving its long range fire support capability such as critical chance, projectile speed and range if that fancies your preference.
The issue starts with the Coil Mortar. When i look at it, it seems to have no sort of role dedicated to it. It has a low ROF, with explosive shells that do kinetic damage, a low projectile speed and range, promoting close quarters combat. However it has the con of being able to injure yourself. My question is what is the use of this weapon and how do you fit it? If any of the more experienced players out use the Coil Mortar as the main weapon because they like it, it would be highly appreciative to explain why along with providing a build for its use. As it stands now in tier 3, i find this weapon a lackluster compared to the others, some help would be greatly appreciated.