What is the role of the Coil Mortar

As far as i have seen, these are my analysis on the 3 frigate weapons avaliable universally to any frigate class.

Beam Cannon

• Role: Varies according to fit and use.
  • Pros: Extremely versatile, with average stats of damage, rate of fire heating limit and range. Primary advantage is hitscan, making it viable against just about any type of enemy. Can be fitted in various ways for various types of combat depending on player preference. Excellent beginner weapon
  • Cons: Its versatility is also a downside as you will not excel at anything. Players who are not good at tracking targets will find this weapon very hard to use as its true DPS comes when all 6 lasers hit their mark non-stop for a period of time.
  • Solution: This weapon has no glaring downside that can be covered, it depends on the player’s choice of combat style to fit the weapon accordingly.

Heavy Blaster

• Role:  Suppression, Uber short-range firepower
  • Pros: This weapon has the highest DPS in the game if all its rounds hit while at its max fire rate, capable of killing even Guard frigates within seconds.
  • Cons: Despite a decent range, high spread at its max fire rate results in only 30% of shots fired hitting their target at max range.
  • Solution: Strap on implants or Electronic guidance to reduce the spread significantly

Positron Cannon

• Role: Long range fire support, Shield decimator
  • Pros: Powerful alpha strike capability, 1 shot can easily reduce a targets shields to 0, key to this weapon is “surprise” in a single shot.
  • Cons: Hit or miss weapon. If you hit, congratulations. If you miss, sorry you are dead. Low ROF makes this weapon useless in close quarters.
  • Solution: Since this weapon fails at close combat, fit it for improving its long range fire support capability such as critical chance, projectile speed and range if that fancies your preference.

​The issue starts with the Coil Mortar. When i look at it, it seems to have no sort of role dedicated to it. It has a low ROF, with explosive shells that do kinetic damage, a low projectile speed and range, promoting close quarters combat. However it has the con of being able to injure yourself. My question is what is the use of this weapon and how do you fit it? If any of the more experienced players out use the Coil Mortar as the main weapon because they like it, it would be highly appreciative to explain why along with providing a build for its use. As it stands now in tier 3, i find this weapon a lackluster compared to the others, some help would be greatly appreciated.

As far as i have seen, these are my analysis on the 3 frigate weapons avaliable universally to any frigate class.

Beam Cannon

• Pros: Extremely versatile, with average stats of damage, rate of fire heating limit and range. Primary advantage is hitscan, making it viable against just about any type of enemy. Can be fitted in various ways for various types of combat depending on player preference. Excellent beginner weapon
  • Cons: Its versatility is also a downside as you will not excel at anything. Players who are not good at tracking targets will find this weapon very hard to use as its true DPS comes when all 6 lasers hit their mark non-stop for a period of time.
  • Solution: This weapon has no glaring downside that can be covered, it depends on the player’s choice of combat style to fit the weapon accordingly.

You obviously don’t use this weapon very much.

Heavy Blaster

• Pros: This weapon has the highest DPS in the game if all its rounds hit while at its max fire rate, capable of killing even Guard frigates within seconds.
  • Cons: Despite a decent range, high spread at its max fire rate results in only 30% of shots fired hitting their target at max range.
  • Solution: Strap on implants or Electronic guidance to reduce the spread significantly

You obviously haven’t made it past Tier 3.

Positron Cannon

• Role: Long range fire support, Shield decimator
  • Pros: Powerful alpha strike capability, 1 shot can easily reduce a targets shields to 0, key to this weapon is “surprise” in a single shot.
  • Cons: Hit or miss weapon. If you hit, congratulations. If you miss, sorry you are dead. Low ROF makes this weapon useless in close quarters.
  • Solution: Since this weapon fails at close combat, fit it for improving its long range fire support capability such as critical chance, projectile speed and range if that fancies your preference.

​The issue starts with the Coil Mortar. When i look at it, it seems to have no sort of role dedicated to it. It has a low ROF, with explosive shells that do kinetic damage, a low projectile speed and range, promoting close quarters combat. However it has the con of being able to injure yourself. My question is what is the use of this weapon and how do you fit it? If any of the more experienced players out use the Coil Mortar as the main weapon because they like it, it would be highly appreciative to explain why along with providing a build for its use. As it stands now in tier 3, i find this weapon a lackluster compared to the others, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Coils are a mid-grade frigate weapon.  It is the most versatile out of all of the frigate weapons, so this is why it is used.  HB has a barrel speed, as with Positron, making it difficult to hit close range targets.  Beam Canons are instant, but suck at close range (if you’re being orbited by a fighter/inty).  Coils have the benefit of consistent damage per shot, giving the pilot more tactical options.  It’s not as big of a headache trying to take out faster ships.  However, yes, if you are great with the positron or HB, you’ll deal much more damage.  But you have to land your shots.  Just like any weapon.

ONESHOT_ONEKILL, on 26 Nov 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

[![snapback.png](< base_url >/public/style_images/master/snapback.png)](< base_url >/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=299113)

Beam Cannon

• Solution: This weapon has no glaring downside that can be covered, it depends on the player’s choice of combat style to fit the weapon accordingly.

You obviously don’t use this weapon very much.

Heavy Blaster

• Cons: Despite a decent range, high spread at its max fire rate results in only 30% of shots fired hitting their target at max range.
  • Solution: Strap on implants or Electronic guidance to reduce the spread significantly

Positron Cannon

• Role: Long range fire support, Shield decimator
  • Pros: Powerful alpha strike capability, 1 shot can easily reduce a targets shields to 0, key to this weapon is “surprise” in a single shot.
  • Solution: Since this weapon fails at close combat, fit it for improving its long range fire support capability such as critical chance, projectile speed and range if that fancies your preference.

Coils are a mid-grade frigate weapon.  It is the most versatile out of all of the frigate weapons, so this is why it is used.  HB has a barrel speed, as with Positron, making it difficult to hit close range targets.  Beam Canons are instant, but suck at close range (if you’re being orbited by a fighter/inty).  Coils have the benefit of consistent damage per shot, giving the pilot more tactical options.  It’s not as big of a headache trying to take out faster ships.  However, yes, if you are great with the positron or HB, you’ll deal much more damage.  But you have to land your shots.  Just like any weapon.

It is true that i am only tier 3 i forgot to mention that. However, if you say the Coil Mortar is the most versatile, why do i have so much trouble with it. Unlike all the other weapons, only the Coil Mortar gives me difficulty in killing ANY type of target. Additionally, what should one fit to the Coil Mortar? Projectile speed,range,ROF or simply more damage. Unlike the other 3 weapons where i can come out with builds for different purposes, i simply cannot with the Coil Mortar. I understand that it becomes more powerful in higher tiers due to more slots for modifying the weapon. However as it is now in tier 3, i find it simply unusable, sharing some builds would greatly help.

It is true that i am only tier 3 i forgot to mention that. However, if you say the Coil Mortar is the most versatile, why do i have so much trouble with it. Unlike all the other weapons, only the Coil Mortar gives me difficulty in killing ANY type of target. Additionally, what should one fit to the Coil Mortar? Projectile speed,range,ROF or simply more damage. Unlike the other 3 weapons where i can come out with builds for different purposes, i simply cannot with the Coil Mortar. I understand that it becomes more powerful in higher tiers due to more slots for modifying the weapon. However as it is now in tier 3, i find it simply unusable, sharing some builds would greatly help.

Well, it depends on your play style.  If you’re planning on staying back, then take proj. speed.  If you’re going to be in the fray, then either projectile speed or damage.  I don’t really increase the range of my main weapons unless I know I’ll need to stay back.  If you find yourself missing shots, it’s either your aim, the projectile speed, bad luck, or they’re just good at dodging.  Ofc, having a higher fire rate increases your chance of hitting with something, but you have to land your shots or it’s useless.  It also helps your dps.

Rof (vanadium shells),spread and a bit of extra range. But forget about inties and fast ship, even the best fitted coil mortar LRF can’t fight against a ceptor in close range with coils. It’s a medium range suppressor weapon for anti frigates and heavy fighters. 

Anyway best to use them in pve :slight_smile:

Rof (vanadium shells),spread and a bit of extra range. But forget about inties and fast ship, even the best fitted coil mortar LRF can’t fight against a ceptor in close range with coils. It’s a medium range suppress weapon for anti frigates and heavy fighters. 

Anyway it’s best to use in pve :slight_smile:

The vanadium shells increases the spread to the stage where some of the shells fly past their target (frigate) even with my crosshair on the lead indicator. The best performance i have seen with it is with shaped charged shells, acceleration coils and a infrared scanner. Even then my performance is still significantly lower compared to other weapons. Take note that i am talking about a Jericho LRF here. In fact i would gladly like to hear why some pilots put coil mortars on ships such as as guards or engineers, i cannot stand the rate of fire and the lack of self defence.

The vanadium shells increases the spread to the stage where some of the shells fly past their target (frigate) even with my crosshair on the lead indicator. The best performance i have seen with it is with shaped charged shells, acceleration coils and a infrared scanner. Even then my performance is still significantly lower compared to other weapons. Take note that i am talking about a Jericho LRF here. In fact i would gladly like to hear why some pilots put coil mortars on ships such as as guards or engineers, i cannot stand the rate of fire and the lack of self defence.

You can correct the spread from vanadium shells with electronic guidance (and the jericho t2 implant if you also want an extra help against ECMs). Shaped c. shells only gives you a ten % bonus on crit chance: which is nothing in numbers compared to a well increased RoF. Using vanadiums also makes you able to spare a cpu slot for something else different than an extra iridium heatsink (one is always a good idea to equip, unless you are using h. blaster from t4 and above, because RoF is capped at 300). Btw if you “miss” it’s because you are focusing wrong targets maybe, as i say: forget about inties, your main target are frigs and heavy fighters.

There’s no reason to put coils on an engi or 90% of guards in pvp (instead in pve it’s a good choice for them), when there are better weapons for that.

And i’m sorry but atm my jerry lrf t3 are on mission so i’m not able to post a fit with coils.

Edit: don’t forget a shared cooler!

It depends on your ship and your set up. When I use them it’s all crits and try to stay at max range. You can do some serious damage  

It’s also very useful in beacon hunt if your team is lagging behind. Shoot at the beacon and the spread and AOE

will keep the beacon hugger uncovered and in damage until your team arrives.

As a primary Engi pilot I pretty much use eclipse 90% of the time time and I have never played PVE.

It depends on your ship and your set up. When I use them it’s all crits and try to stay at max range. You can do some serious damage  

It’s also very useful in beacon hunt if your team is lagging behind. Shoot at the beacon and the spread and AOE

As a primary Engi pilot I pretty much use eclipse 90% of the time time and I have never played PVE.

+1 to what esteemed gentleman above and the 1 above him (SpongeJohn) have said.  Well I may take exception to the  "There’s no reason to put coils on an engi or 90% of guards in pvp "  part  :00555:  

I rotate between Coil Mortars and Eclipse and Beam on my choice of engi frigate Phoenix as I use it as a long range sniper\short range healer as it is a BIT on the SLOW side.    

I also now add the cooler…into the engine slot so I have the ability to fire at the target a bit longer before it requires the cool down. 

I find that coils due to the rotation of the guns are a royal pain when you are firing at an pesky interceptor that is attempting to either rotate around you or get into your rear…

also you then have to worry about inflicting damage upon yourself when you are firing in close proximity to yourself.   Remember the coil shells have a proximity fuse… 

Even without the accelerators as I have been using it for so long I can for the most part hit anything out there.      

Now that the eclipise has regained it firing range I find that I am using it more.   The heating is still a bit quick though…

Mhh the fact is that coils can damage yourself and when you are in an engi and get ganged all the time i want to preserve every little life point i can get. On stix i lije h. blaster while on naga i’m actually using lazors. Same thing on a guard, i don’t even like torpedo on guard since you have no “auto” healing. 

“Current Coil mortar is a weapon for no0bs shooting other no0bs”

Weapons have a psychological effect

Nutz, on 26 Nov 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

[snapback.png](< base_url >/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=299214)

+1 to what esteemed gentleman above and the 1 above him (SpongeJohn) have said.  Well I may take exception to the  "There’s no reason to put coils on an engi or 90% of guards in pvp "  part   :00555:  

I rotate between Coil Mortars and Eclipse and Beam on my choice of engi frigate Phoenix as I use it as a long range sniper\short range healer as it is a BIT on the SLOW side.    

I also now add the cooler…into the engine slot so I have the ability to fire at the target a bit longer before it requires the cool down. 

I find that coils due to the rotation of the guns are a royal pain when you are firing at an pesky interceptor that is attempting to either rotate around you or get into your rear…

also you then have to worry about inflicting damage upon yourself when you are firing in close proximity to yourself.   Remember the coil shells have a proximity fuse… 

Even without the accelerators as I have been using it for so long I can for the most part hit anything out there.      

Now that the eclipise has regained it firing range I find that I am using it more.   The heating is still a bit quick though…

I think I’ll stick to the Positron Cannon on my Ira Deus for now, Coil Mortar simply isn’t worth using. My new question is, should i use the Eclipse Launcher at tier 3? As it stands now, i cannot let go of my Heavy Blaster for my Styx. Additionally, i actually do not use Nanodrone Cloud, i have the following build:

post-252784-0-86555900-1417057670.jpg

post-252784-0-51639100-1417057648.jpg

Nutz, on 26 Nov 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

[snapback.png](< base_url >/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=299214)

+1 to what esteemed gentleman above and the 1 above him (SpongeJohn) have said.  Well I may take exception to the  "There’s no reason to put coils on an engi or 90% of guards in pvp "  part   :00555:  

I think I’ll stick to the Positron Cannon on my Ira Deus for now, Coil Mortar simply isn’t worth using. My new question is, should i use the Eclipse Launcher at tier 3? As it stands now, i cannot let go of my Heavy Blaster for my Styx. Additionally, i actually do not use Nanodrone Cloud, i have the following build:

post-252784-0-86555900-1417057670.jpg

post-252784-0-51639100-1417057648.jpg

Oh god i am sorry for the blur pictures i am not sure how to make them clear or alike to the size of the page

Hei man your build is quite ok, but generally speaking the hull heal over time is better on an empire engineer for several reasons.

1: Empire ships are hull tanking. You will have hull resists, a lot of hull capacity. You need to keep that up, shields are just a small buffer that tells you when people are shooting at you, then they are already down. 

2: Shields are healer when they are under 50% by the drones, if you have them, anyway. 

3: You can also sacrifice a drone to heal your shields, and the allies around you. You can’t do that for hull.

Usually it’s very good to have the energy regen also, allows you to afterburn while having all the modules on, also helps your allies a bunch, specially commands, and everyone else if they are not energy stable (there are many new guys that are not energy stable), counters a bit the ECM’s energy drain on your allies. 

About Eclipse, i’m going to be subjective. If you like the weapon, use it, but not to shoot enemies down. Use it to take out microlocators, drones, all the small buzzing things on the battleground. Also for healing your team mates. Shooting at enemy players should be your last priority. Eclipse is also 300% better with the invasion(overheating) ammo. With that you might want to shoot at enemies also.

The reason i put the Mass Shield Generator is cause generally, shields to most ships especially empire ones are a buffer to their primary health, additionally the Nanodrone cloud heals a lower amount compared to the Mass Shield Generator.

The advantage of a shield over a hull is regeneration. When you equip the shield generator, you can reach a stage of shield tanking with pure regeneration through drones, charging stations, and the Shield generator. In the end i end up taking cover when shields are down, leaving the durable hull for when i get ambushed. To add on, i find that most ships that actually reach their hull do die in combat, only Jericho ships actually run or take cover and come to me for heals, thus having a constant shield aura helps all ships compared to the cloud which half the time does not buffer as much as the shield generator. Should one ship come to me with critical health, i deploy the station because it repairs faster and enables the friendly to quickly get his health back.

Regarding the eclipse launcher, i think i will stick with Heavy blasters, i still need to deal damage right?

What you say works, it’s not bad, but nanodrone is important also for inties/fighters that go into the fight, take a bit of damage, retreat to regen it, move out again. In a battle with many players, you can’t do that with just the repair station, since that heals only 1 player. 

Me, I go with shield aura, hull aura, energy aura, repair station. The shield station is a bit too much. It’s awesome if you stay around guards, to replenish their shields quickly. For the others it’s not that useful. 

The reason i put the Mass Shield Generator is cause generally, shields to most ships especially empire ones are a buffer to their primary health, additionally the Nanodrone cloud heals a lower amount compared to the Mass Shield Generator.

The advantage of a shield over a hull is regeneration. When you equip the shield generator, you can reach a stage of shield tanking with pure regeneration through drones, charging stations, and the Shield generator. In the end i end up taking cover when shields are down, leaving the durable hull for when i get ambushed. To add on, i find that most ships that actually reach their hull do die in combat, only Jericho ships actually run or take cover and come to me for heals, thus having a constant shield aura helps all ships compared to the cloud which half the time does not buffer as much as the shield generator. Should one ship come to me with critical health, i deploy the station because it repairs faster and enables the friendly to quickly get his health back.

Regarding the eclipse launcher, i think i will stick with Heavy blasters, i still need to deal damage right?

IMO nanodrone cloud would be much more helpful to the team and to you.

and HB is good, but most pilots tank thermal since it’s the most common damage.  Eclipse has the advantage of damage and healing those inty’s out front protecting you.

Coil mortar is mostly a PVE weapons. It rules there, you can kill swarm of enemies with it and destroy fixed defense with ease. In PVP it’s harder to use, but shine when your foes are close to each others as you can damage multiple enemies at once. Really bad against interceptors though due to their high resistance to explosive damage. 

For that weapon i use modules and implants that improve projectile speed and accuracy. It is also a good thing to increase your turn rate so you can keep all your guns on target; guns in dead zone won’t fire and that is the most crippling for the coil as it cycle between all the guns to fire.