Taxed and untaxed Bartering

Hi, I had a little check to see if this had been suggested before (sorry if it has).

How about a barter system? Ideally for all and any items (weapons/mods/upgrades/materials/etc)

It could work in two ways :

1. Officially permitted bartering between members of the same corp / faction. Taxed by that faction via credits or even GS.

a. This would give free pilots more incentive to join a corp.

b. This would give experienced players the ability to really help newer pilots. Corps themselves could offer incentives to new pilots to stick around and rank up.

Faction taxes raised could effect the quality and quantity of Invasion A.I. in sectors controlled by that faction. Or increase mission rewards given out by the faction to all players.

2. Illegal bartering between members of different factions.

This would be done by loading the cargo into a ship hold and the trade would have to take place in non-station protected sectors. Such trades would bypass taxation.

This system would of course be open to abuse by nefarious pilots. Such trades would require organising ‘protection’ to prevent theft. But I think that might add a new dynamic to Invasion. Driven especially by veteran pilots from the big corps needing specific parts to build the new secret project ships.

(I know this would run into difficulty with the current, unpredictable, instance based Invasion).

Sadly, trade between pilots is never going to happen because that would reduce grind, and thus ruin the Pay to Grind Less monetisation ethos.

b. This would give experienced players the ability to really help newer pilots. Corps themselves could offer incentives to new pilots to stick around and rank up.

This is a really good idea!  I myself was lucky to get into an active and friendly corp the second time I tried out this game.  Otherwise I would have got bored and left again, like I did the first time…

This suggestion could solve the game’s current lack of player retention which has already been pointed out by several threads on the forum.  The new system of mentoring currently has defaults.  I have only had one Recruit so far and it was my friend’s alt account, just to test the system…  Most of those in our corp who want  to be helped (i.e. come on TS and ask questions) are already past the “Recruit” stage as defined by the game.

By allowing us to help recruits within our own corp, it would also give incentive to join a corp and actively take part in it, as you say.

Another advantage of trading within a corp is that it will stop or at least limit scamming and false advertising, otherwise I can just imagine people in English chat offering fake trades for rare items and so on.

Your second idea has already been suggested countless times, and doesn’t seem to please the devs, although it would be the easest solution programming wise imo (although I don’t know much about programming).

They said multiple times that trade system will, sadly, never happens.

Their main reason was : BOT. Some games have trades system and so are poluated with bots that farm ressources to sell them at players for cash. A small exemple is Dofus, a great game, but witch have tons and tons of bots, ruining the players experience.

And for a game like SC, a trade system isn’t a necessity at all. There’s not that much to buy and an item is the same for absolutely everybody. Unless they in the future add a lot (and by a lot, I mean A LOT) of new craftable only mods/ships, there’s not true need for it.

There’s not that much to buy and an item is the same for absolutely everybody.

Exactly, and this means that it would not be viable to farm using a bot.  Also it would not include real-life money, unlike what I have heard from EVE.

Appart from this, the player base is relatively small, so I doubt there would be many people using bots, and those that would are already using them for personal gain…

Exactly, and this means that it would not be viable to farm using a bot.  Also it would not include real-life money, unlike what I have heard from EVE.

Appart from this, the player base is relatively small, so I doubt there would be many people using bots, and those that would are already using them for personal gain…

It’s always viable to create a bot that farm. Why? If you, desire to get those new shiny craftable ships and want to buy the ressources.

It’s easily 40k GS to have those resources (at least, the monocrystal). It represent what, 80$?

Now, if there’s hundreds of bots that farm daily and invasion, and then sell you enough to craft that ship for 10$, what’s your choice?

They don’t want to take the risk and I understand that point as a developer. Once the first farming bot is created, even for personal use, the horror is just getting started. I don’t want to see laggy server and Invasion ’ s map invaded by bots.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

~ ~ ~

‘Destroyher’ raises some valid points about bots.

But is there a way of dissuading farming by lowering the ratio of ‘return to time invested’ by bot farmers?

Maybe excluding higher priced items (T4 - T5, and items for crafting secret ships) from the barter system or excluding items gained via PVE or Invasion?

This would still allow veteran players to aid new players greatly by trading upgrade kits or even contract vouchers.

Maybe if taxes on trading were only payable in GS. This would add an extra incentive for new players to buy GS (and thats got to be good for the game).

A new weekly leaderboard could be created to reward the corps that create the most tax for their own faction. The reward could be an increase in that factions contracts rewards for one week.

~ ~ ~

Again, sorry if Im just throwing out ideas that have been discussed to death. I’d really like to see more reasons for new players to join a corp and, most importantly, stick around. Even if this means bribing them in a ‘carrot and stick’ kind of way.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

~ ~ ~

‘Destroyher’ raises some valid points about bots.

But is there a way of dissuading farming by lowering the ratio of ‘return to time invested’ by bot farmers?

Maybe excluding higher priced items (T4 - T5, and items for crafting secret ships) from the barter system or excluding items gained via PVE or Invasion?

For both ideas above, if you reduce/limit their income there’ll only be more bots to have an higher income, but restricting players for no reasons.

Maybe if taxes on trading were only payable in GS. This would add an extra incentive for new players to buy GS (and thats got to be good for the game).

Same again, bots can pay ! You should really take a look at Dofus, witch need to pay monthly to play (Or have only the access of a few maps). They’ll just adjust their selling prices to be viable and again, restrict players for no reason.

A new weekly leaderboard could be created to reward the corps that create the most tax for their own faction. The reward could be an increase in that factions contracts rewards for one week.

Bots corp’s are coming :smiley:

~ ~ ~

Again, sorry if Im just throwing out ideas that have been discussed to death. I’d really like to see more reasons for new players to join a corp and, most importantly, stick around. Even if this means bribing them in a ‘carrot and stick’ kind of way.

I understand your point. We all here, in the game, want a trading system for multiples reasons. But there’s absolutely no ways to fight against farming bots without disturbing players.

Bots are a pain for both Dev and Players. I saw many, many, many games destroyed by farming bots.

Imagine the fear : a wings of 8 bots (Guards + engi for durability so no need to dodge) in invasion with lasers and 100%aim shooting all together at the same target, witch is barely everything that come near them ; and btw monopolizing cargo drones. 

Since they implemented the recycle feature, trade is not needed. I can get more materials in a 2 hours run in high tier PvP thanks to mk2 tier 5 kits, than any new player will be able to find in open space in the same time.

Sorry, this is not planned