Taunt contest (Discussion)

Now ArcTy, Soldy is on the right side of the bed today.  People should take the 1 submission rule seriously.

In any case, let’s wait for Doom to get back to us to clear up any misinformation or misreadings. 

Hey guys! Let’s clarify this: you should post only one taunt.

We know, that all of your taunts are really brilliant and smart. But choosing the best one is also a part of the contest. It means, that you have to decide which one is the the most brilliant and which one you want to choose as your personal taunt. In few words - 1 taunt per person, please.

Also, taunts will be translated to the supported languages.

just checking, but using quotes from anime or movies… taunts that are not original or new (and, I might add, might violate copyrights) are disqualified, right?

just checking, but using quotes from anime or movies… taunts that are not original or new (and, I might add, might violate copyrights) are disqualified, right?

Yes, we can’t use such taunts, better if it will be original.

Yes, we can’t use such taunts, better if it will be original.

Well, it depends. If such sentence is not under copyright, then it is no problem.

For example, saying “I’ll be back” even if it is a movie reference, should be allowed.

In fact, several of the current taunts are references to popular culture so I don’t know what to think about this.

Yes, it depends. We should check it’s policy.

Nice one Omar XD I approve

Hoot

Hoot

Garlic

if they’re smart, they’ll read mine.

If you’re smart, you’ll read the rule update…

Garlic

Butter

Onion

Well… I guess I need to go and choose one of my taunts then  *sadface*

• Oh, I thought you were a bot.

• I thought I could do with some target practice. (+ You got to be the target)

• This is a restricted area!

• Next time, fire off a missile!

• You in a space ship causes accidents.

The rest since we are only allowed to post one in the thread

• Oh, I thought you were a bot.

• I thought I could do with some target practice. (+ You got to be the target)

• This is a restricted area!

• Next time, fire off a missile!

• You in a space ship causes accidents.

The rest since we are only allowed to post one in the thread

I really like the ‘oh I though you were a bot’ one

Garlic

MOAR GARLIC

“Must suck to hear ‘Comms link lost’, doesn’t it?”

“Must suck to be you right now, doesn’t it?”

Well, it depends. If such sentence is not under copyright, then it is no problem.

For example, saying “I’ll be back” even if it is a movie reference, should be allowed.

In fact, several of the current taunts are references to popular culture so I don’t know what to think about this.

It’s not that I don’t like the movie quotes. It’s just that this contest is meant to be a creative contest. Secondly: some of the multi-taunt submissions do have taunts I like as well. It just seems a waste to toss out a potential winner because the submitter did not follow rules. Some of those are taunts I would use, but if they did win, it would discourage people from following contest rules in the future. It’s a no-win situation, and the only way to fix it is for players (us) to adhere to the rules. … just my thoughts on the matter.

as for *I’ll be back!*… that’s totally Arnold… if the person who did the killing said that as a taunt, it would be out of context, because the victor doesn’t go anywhere, it’s the defeated guy who will return…after checking, I’ve found that it’s also trademarked. *Noone expects the spanish inquisition* is a quote out of Monty Python, and does fall under copyrights as well… *go directly to [spawn], do not pass go, do not collect 200 [credits] would violate copyrights held by monopoly… *Wait, what? Sorry, I was reading.*, is a taunt (word for word) used by Kakashi. Naruto’s copyright covers the whole book, so any word-for-word quotes is a violation. 

*Veni Vidi Vici* is a quote of Alexander the Great… fortunately, in his time copyright laws hadn’t even been thought of yet, so that one does fall under free use. *every action generates a reaction* is a shorthand rendition of Newton’s laws of motion… (for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction) like Alexander, this technically falls under free use. (I would use Veni Vidi Vici, if it were chosen, though, because it is a classic. it’s one bit of Latin just about everyone understands)

my point isn’t that these are bad taunts… these are not creative. some of them don’t even bother to change the wording.