Tactical maneuvers

Or Dicta Arpacolae parte the thirde: how I learned to stop worrying and just hit shift+s

Basic tactic when you are fighting a more maneuverable ship: AB BACKWARDS and TURN to face them (follow the cockpit arrow indicator if you have lock on them). This should eventually bring them in your line of fire, unless the difference in maneuverability is too great (like maybe slow Frig vs fast Int)

Assume this initial position (you are blue, the more maneuverable ship is red):

post-236230-0-37476300-1392399250.png

This is what would happen if red turned away (not a very good idea for red):

post-236230-0-81950400-1392399249.png:

This is what would happen if red turned towards (you will still eventually be able to fire):

post-236230-0-20009500-1392399249.png

This is what will probably happen:

post-236230-0-33641200-1392399248.png

This is what would HAVE to happen, in order for red to maintain distance and angle, but it CANNOT. Note that it requires a strafe speed of at least 5 times greater than backwards AB speed to pull of. This is an estimate judging from the length of the lines in the figure and a generous one at that:

post-236230-0-48514200-1392399247.png

I assume Red is an interceptor and Blue is a frigate?

If yes

That red interceptor deserve a big kick in his balls if he follows ANY of those examples.

What is the point of this “guide”?

Frig vs Int is tough, but Fighter vs Int or Frig vs Fighter should work pretty good. This guide is for people who hate being shot at without being able to shoot back.

And this title?

And this title?

I assume it is his way to keep pressing S as a Backward thrust

I’m not going to say much because I said what needed to be said in the other thread. Trying to out-turn a decent interceptor in anything bigger that’s not an overdriving gunship is doomed to failure. Trying to out-turn a decent interceptor by moving and thus increasing your own turn radius and with it the time it takes you to turn is a terrible idea regardless of the ship you fly.

Would just suggest a mod changes the thread title to something meaningful.

I’m not going to say much because I said what needed to be said in the other thread. Trying to out-turn a decent interceptor in anything bigger that’s not an overdriving gunship is doomed to failure. Trying to out-turn a decent interceptor by moving and thus increasing your own turn radius and with it the time it takes you to turn is a terrible idea regardless of the ship you fly.

Would just suggest a mod changes the thread title to something meaningful.

i think a name of “oh xxxx oh xxxx oh xxxx oh xxxx” would be appropriate for this :))))) i sure have it in my mind when i get caught wide in the open by couple interceptors

Edit : Topic renamed

I assume it is his way to keep pressing S as a Backward thrust

Bingo.

To the rest: this is what I do when outmaneuvered and what I have seen other good fighter pilots use against me when I’m Int. Try it out: have a friend join a custom game with a less maneuverable ship class and tell them to just AB back and turn. Try to get behind them (don’t fire at each other). See what happens.

Our poitns are:

a) This reverse strafe Ab is only valid for a handful of ships vs handful of ships

b) If you are in a situation that you have to use this and you are in wide open, chances are you are gonna be dead, point is that you have to use something like this near obstacles, cutting your enemy maneuverability sphere by half

c) Different ships/build facing different ships/builds call for very different maneuvering. Ability to  recognize a most suitable behavior in a pinch is a core to any good pilot.

a) This reverse strafe Ab is only valid for a handful of ships vs handful of ships

You mean every ship combination except maybe Frig vs Int? So that’s 5 out of 6 then?

b) If you are in a situation that you have to use this and you are in wide open, chances are you are gonna be dead

Yeah, putting up a fight and sometimes winning is for chumps, I’d rather just die and blame the invincible imbaceptors.

Has anyone tried this out? Anyone?

EDIT: math double fail

n!

------- = 6

(n-k)!

and then God said let there be a third dimmension

the interceptor pilot found this was good

so he flew under you and still killed you anyway

Sorry stupid joking aisde. I hate to say this, but the best counter I have seen against me ‘I can only fly int…’ is when someone backs upto an object. I still kill them anyway, but sometimes they get to attack me back.

After playing for a year, it is bashed into my head more than anything. This is a team game.

You team is everything. If you are alone, you fall back… You call your targets with a double r key press so everyone else knows who to gang up on. You don’t come around that rock until your engineer is behind you.

The best manuver I’ve learned is stick with my team. Cause they are everything.

If you remember one manuever, remember to stay with your team. You can forget the rest.

If you remember one manuever, remember to stay with your team. You can forget the rest.

Because respawning and having to rush to a beacon is something that never happens in this game.

You mean every ship combination except maybe Frig vs Int? So that’s 5 out of 6 then?

Yeah, putting up a fight and sometimes winning is for chumps, I’d rather just die and blame the invincible imbaceptors.

EDIT: math double fail

n!

------- = 6

(n-k)!

There are 3 Races -> 3 Classes per race -> 2 roles Per class per race, effectively making it 18 distinctive ship bases, some of them are similar some of them are totally different. Race differences still effect each ship->role by a huge margin

On top of that there are MULTIPLE ways to build your ships which WILL affect the way you fly, fight, maneuver and position yourself on a battlefield. Obviously there are “cross fits” between roles/races/build that will create “similar” defencive behaviors, but it is far-far-far more complicated than you just described.

Unless you fly t1-t2 where everything is almost the same.

Yes I have and do. In a Frig. I also add rolling into the equation . It does work in the right situation. It’s not a one move fix all, but I can at least get off a couple of shots at worst.

But that’s only when I either get myself in a bad situation to begin with or see them coming and can counter.

There are 3 Races -> 3 Classes per race -> 2 roles Per class per race, effectively making it 18 distinctive ship bases, some of them are similar some of them are totally different. Race differences still effect each ship->role by a huge margin

On top of that there are MULTIPLE ways to build your ships which WILL affect the way you fly, fight, maneuver and position yourself on a battlefield. Obviously there are “cross fits” between roles/races/build that will create “similar” defencive behaviors, but it is far-far-far more complicated than you just described.

Unless you fly t1-t2 where everything is almost the same.

It’s actually pretty simple: taking everything into account, do you think your chances of winning will significantly improve, if you turn the fight into trading blows?

1. No: dogfight as normal.

2. Yes: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Yes I have and do. In a Frig. I also add rolling into the equation . It does work in the right situation. It’s not a one move fix all, but I can at least get off a couple of shots at worst.

But that’s only when I either get myself in a bad situation to begin with or see them coming and can counter.

You are quite right, there is NO one move fix all. If you think you can make it back to your teammates, then that’s your safest bet. If that is not an option, if you have to fight and win, what else can you do against a more maneuverable ship?

It’s actually pretty simple: taking everything into account, do you think your chances of winning will significantly improve, if you turn the fight into trading blows?

1. No: dogfight as normal.

2. Yes: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I have no idea what you mean by this and how it is related to what i’ve been saying in my posts

Although I’m not sure I do exactly as you’re talking about, when a ship’s behind me I do backwards afterburn and strafe a lot.  It’s half to just keep moving and I know I cannot run away due to pure speed.  My thoughts of frigate vs inty.

“There you are, I’m gonna kill you.  xxxx, get in front of me and fight like a man.  Stop turning so I can face you!  There you are, xxxx, only one shot off.  I hope I don’t die to this pest.  There you are, boom.  Now I need to spend some time healing.  Where’d my team go?  xxxx!”