Tackler Drone Positioning

I wanted to ask your opinion about the Positioning of Tackler Drones. I am talking about T4/5 and SQ here. In my experience, drones are quite useless. I normally position them around myself to protect me against surprise attacks, or near beacons. I do not have the impression they do anything. Either I myself die to fast, so the drones have no way to do much, often in case when i get surprised by an CovOps, or they are shot down easily from afar. 

So far I have found one good position for the drones where they actually managed to do something, which is in the middle of debris in a high gighting area where it is easily overlooked. For example, in the map with the long empty hull in the middle where the beams are.

Do you have other ways to use and position your drones or would you kick em?

Put the drone about 400 meters from an obstacle so explosions don’t destroy it as easily. Use the obstacle as cover for the drone but make sure the drone can make an impact near an objective. Place the drone where the majority of allies are so it isn’t a focus. So when an enemy overextends the drone will be there to kill or weaken the enemy.

Placing drones near enemy beacons and running back to the group will help thin down the health and mnumber of guard drones.

Using drones as an offensive can help also. Uncloaking behind a frigate with both drones will destroy the health of the frigate. Piled on top of the main weapons, missiles and target painter the drones will destroy almost any frigate in a cinch. However I don’t particulary recommend doing this all the time as the purpose of the tackler is to kill interceptors. 

A good balance of active modules for any situation would be a multipurpose, a slow, target painter, sentry drone.

This seems less of a guide and more of a wondering/question.

No position for drone is great if you aren’t around. And even in the most open areas it can be overlooked if you overwhelm the enemy with your presence, uncloaked

U can put it somewhere else if u want.

I tried Efefays reccomandations and it worked great. tx! I put the drone not directly beside the beacon, but about 2000miles away, and it killed some enemies. Most likely its overseen that way. But this works only if there are asteroids and stuff, in open space its not so good.

I think its essential the drone is somehow hidden and still in an area where fighting takes place. So u have to predict where fighting is and best put the drone there in advance but hidden between asteroids.

The units measured are in meters not miles. Not really important but nice to know.

I’ve found that the best way to use sentry drones is decloak behind someone, slow them, drop your drones, and stick around to finish them off. Catching people off-guard with the drones is devastating, and guarantees lots of damage to the target, if not a kill.

Hmm for which ships would you recommend that tactic, for all? And how do you escape the retribution if teammates?

In small games, positioning matters less as long as you keep your target distracted and unable to take the time to focus the drone.

If the drone is the only thing around to shoot, it won’t last a second. But if a drone is dropped mid-dogfight, the drone is easily ignored.

90% of what I do is dog fight.

Of course my dog fight is my vs about 4 or 5.

What I use the drone for is the post dogfight when I fall back and an inty follows.

Then my other rare 1v1 situations.

I wanted to ask your opinion about the Positioning of Tackler Drones. I am talking about T4/5 and SQ here. In my experience, drones are quite useless. I normally position them around myself to protect me against surprise attacks, or near beacons. I do not have the impression they do anything. Either I myself die to fast, so the drones have no way to do much, often in case when i get surprised by an CovOps, or they are shot down easily from afar. 

So far I have found one good position for the drones where they actually managed to do something, which is in the middle of debris in a high gighting area where it is easily overlooked. For example, in the map with the long empty hull in the middle where the beams are.

Do you have other ways to use and position your drones or would you kick em?

Answer: Take the Lion Mk. II and put it anywhere at all. Or Tiger.

4k range and 7k projectile speed. It’s possible to dodge, but it’s kind of like dodging positrons. Except they’re slightly slower and have auto-aim.

Honestly, fortify your team’s position with them, flank the enemy team from above or below with them, or team up with a couple other folks to drop eight drones in two seconds to more or less instakill someone. Other than that, just follow efefay’s advice.