Swap requirements for Mk3 an Mk4 upgrades

A simple, but much needed change. Swap requirements for obtaining Mk3 and 4 modules, so that Mk3 (blue) are unlocked with looted upgrade kits or by spending artifacts. Mk4 (purple) can only be obtained by earning faction vouchers or by spending GS (which also adds a 3% synergy bonus).

The Why:

Currently, if a player wants to upgrade a weapon all the way to Mk4, chances are he has already stockpiled enough artifacts, that by the time he has enough vouchers, he will skip over the Mk3 phase completely without using it. Vouchers are without a doubt, the slowest payment item a player has to grind.

This is bad.

Some might argue that by putting the GS phase later on in the upgrade tree, the game will become ‘pay to win’. What these players do not realize, is the current system is actually worse.

Lets look at a Tier 5 Ion Emitter as an example:

With the implants I have, my Tier 5 Mark 2 Ion Emitter does 3301 DPS. Upgrading to Mark 3 adds 247 DPS = 3548 DPS. Upgrading again to Mark 4 adds 160 DPS = 3708 DPS.

Currently, with the ‘Voucher/GS Wall’ at Mk3, players who have not farmed enough vouchers are stuck with 3301 DPS while they farm. Upon upgrading to Mk 3, most players will instantly upgrade to Mk4. So in reality that ‘Voucher Wall’ is a difference of 407 DPS. That’s pretty significant.

IF the ‘Voucher/GS Wall’ was moved to Mk4, this difference would only be 160 DPS.

So, as the numbers clearly show, the current system is much worse in terms of the difference between those on one side of the ‘Voucher/GS Wall’ and those who have already passed it. And that’s not even including Mk5 upgrade kits…

From PvP standpoint it looks fairly good to me, but I am afraid it will unintentionally promote extra farming in PvE/Invasion since getting artifacts from these modes easier and more consistent (well, invasion maybe not so much anymore). Because there is that believe in majority of new players that 1st i get gear and then i will start learning the game, but in the process of achieving it they will ended up farming it all the way to T5, cause they do not know how the PvP tier gradation works and what is the point farming for T3 while you can go all the way for mk3 T5. So in the end this system might reduce average quality of PvP players even further.

I agree completely. So many items I have purple upgrades for that I can’t use because the faction points come first and you can only earn one color at a time. It would make much more sense if the dropped upgrade kits were mk2 and mk3, and the harder to get faction points were mk4.

From PvP standpoint it looks fairly good to me, but I am afraid it will unintentionally promote extra farming in PvE/Invasion since getting artifacts from these modes easier and more consistent (well, invasion maybe not so much anymore). Because there is that believe in majority of new players that 1st i get gear and then i will start learning the game, but in the process of achieving it they will ended up farming it all the way to T5, cause they do not know how the PvP tier gradation works and what is the point farming for T3 while you can go all the way for mk3 T5. So in the end this system might reduce average quality of PvP players even further.

Tier Rushers will always exist, no matter what you place in their path. They will find a way.

The point is, Mark 4 will be just as hard to farm as Mark 3 currently is. The amount of grind required to get all the way from Mark 1 to Mark 4 does not change. The only thing that would change is players would hit the grind wall to get to Mark 4, and make them actually spend some time using Mark 3 items, rather than skipping over them.

And even if they jumped all the way over Mark 4 with a Mark 5 blueprint, the overall stat difference would still be smaller in margin than the Mark 2 to Mark 4 jump we currently have.

+1 for the op idea. i skip the blue stuff every single time. Vouchers are harder to farm than artifacts or upgrade kits. So as soon as i have a module blue, it get’s purpled.

System needs changing.

+1

This idea has been posted so many times now though.

It boils down to microcharges must be working for them with this current system.

I’m still +1in it though.

+1!

This would be great!

+1 took me two days of pvp to get my Mk3 railgun for my katana S

this have been already proposed and forwarded to Devs

I vote for no. Reason is simple. 

It cost almost two thousand artifacts to fully upgrade a T5 ship from all Mk3 to Mk4. Artifacts loot isn’t decent since I’m not farming any Aliens.

You can’t just make some players smile while pissing others off. Please respect the various playstyle among players. 

It cost almost two thousand artifacts to fully upgrade a T5 ship from all Mk3 to Mk4. Artifacts loot isn’t decent since I’m not farming any Aliens.

You can’t just make some players smile while pissing others off. Please respect the various playstyle among players. 

Uh… ok… So my suggestion was disrespectful? I didn’t flame anyone, and frankly, there is no way to please everyone with every suggestion.

The overall progression of gear from Mark 1 to Mark 5 would not change. Just that one payment method would be swapped. The only thing it would change is making players grind vouchers to get to Mark 4, instead of Mark 3. Read the statistics part again, I don’t think you understood it.

This has nothing to do with playstyle, as Aliens are not the only source of artifacts. If you loot any purple items from PvP or PvE and you choose to salvage them, you get artifacts. You actually get more from salvaging items than from trying to farm Bios.

So your logic makes no sense.

I vote for no. Reason is simple. 

2k artifacts.

Or 1500k vouchers. From various factions.

Is it just me, or did Artifact loot for salvaging PvP items just get a massive nerf???

I salvaged 2 Mk4 upgrade kits that were Tier 5 and got… 18 artifacts  for each one! Unless my memory is playing tricks on me those used to be worth 24 artifacts, weren’t they? Or am I just losing my mind?

Is it just me, or did Artifact loot for salvaging PvP items just get a massive nerf???

I salvaged 2 Mk4 upgrade kits that were Tier 5 and got… 18 artifacts  for each one! Unless my memory is playing tricks on me those used to be worth 24 artifacts, weren’t they? Or am I just losing my mind?

No, Passives were 18, actives 24 and weapons 30. I think it was been that way all the time.