Supermassive black hole

new_blackhole_found_2.jpg
Computer-simulated image shows a supermassive black hole at the core of a galaxy. Credits: NASA, ESA, and D. Coe, J. Anderson, and R. van der Marel (STScI)

Astronomers have discovered a nearly record-massive black hole mass of 17 billion suns in the wrong place: in the center of the galaxy, located in a sparsely populated region of the universe. Observations made with the help of «Hubble» and «Gemini» telescopes, they showed that these monsters may be more common than previously thought.

Until now, supermassive black holes have masses of about 10 billion Suns detected in the nuclei of galaxies in the regions of the universe, closely packed other major galaxies. In fact, the current record holder, above the mass of the Sun 21 billion times, is located in the crowded cluster consisting of more than 1,000 galaxies.

“The newly discovered supersized black hole resides in the center of a massive elliptical galaxy, NGC 1600, located in a cosmic backwater, a small grouping of 20 or so galaxies,”, - said the discoverer of Chung-Pei Ma of the University of California at Berkeley.

In addition, the researchers were surprised to discover that the black hole in NGC 1600 is 10 times more massive than they predicted. Based on previous «Hubble» observations, astronomers have deduced the relationship between black hole mass and the mass of the central bulge of the host galaxy. The bigger the bulge, the proportionally more massive black hole. But for the mass of the galaxy NGC 1600 giant black hole outshines its relatively small bulge.

One idea, explaining the size of the monster at the center of NGC 1600 and the paucity of the neighborhood, it is the absorption of the surrounding galaxies in the process of evolution. NGC 1600 is dominating in the group, it is at least three times brighter than its companion.

Observations have shown that the majority of galactic gas has long been absorbed. At that time, the black hole shines like a bright quasar, and now the monster is sleeping.

Source

I don’t want to read, because THE PICTURE DOESN’T LOAD TO ME. D:::::::::::::::

Legend says T5 destroyer got trigger happy and created this super massive black hole… otherwise this is an interesting piece of news, but the image is not loading for some reason.

I don’t want to read, because THE PICTURE DOESN’T LOAD TO ME. D:::::::::::::::

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/behemoth-black-hole-found-in-an-unlikely-place

Here’s the news on NASA website, with image.

I know about bigger one, but it eats only money and its located in our parliament :006j:

http://youtu.be/OgvLej8ln2w

I thought of this also :smiley:

I’m curious tho. Where are the stars and other objects from between the telescope and the black hole?

I mean it’s only a computer simulation but these things are always missing.

Legend says T5 destroyer got trigger happy and created this super massive black hole…

xxxx they found our testing ground for destroyers…

I wanna see a whole team’s worth of black holes in the same place.

I can see it now… Enemies being pulled in to it at 1,200m/s and crashing in to each other I the middle. XD

i always thought the black hole in the center was pretty much proven already

but with science, facts and facts are always 2 different things :slight_smile:

Mmmh, I’ve just done some simple math and now I’ve a pretty big doubt (I hope some of you have studied physics).

Sun’s gravitational pull on its surface is 273.7 m/sec^2. So, if this black hole is 17 billion times more massive, it means it has 17 billions time more gravitational pull on the surface. So, 273.7*17 billion = 4652.9*10^9 = a pretty stunning 4 652 900 000 000 m/sec^2, or 4 652 900 km/s^2.

So, this black hole can actually accelerate something OVER the light speed. And that’s… well… impossible. 

I’m mind blown right now. 

So, I’m asking: what happens if I let him accelerate me? Do I get faster then light (Other than being completely annihilated by the pulling force?)

Well traditional physics is usually broken around massive objects such as black holes. As even light itself cannot keep moving out of them. The number things that we don’t know about black holes is pretty much constant with the number of things we do.

So, if this black hole is 17 billion times more massive, it means it has 17 billions time more gravitational pull on the surface

This assumption is incorrect.

And what fox says, yeah.

it is possible for different forms of energy to travel ftl. Especially when talking about black holes. Event horizons are basically a theory, in which the Einstein’s theory of relativity takes place. The pull is so strong, so fast, that it actually slows down the time, thus if you got close to a black hole, your legs would be somehow considerably somewhere else, at a different spacetime, than your head.

Of course thats just a theory. Plus, in the scenario stated above, you would be literally mind-blown.

Also, with every day passed I’m growing unsure if the theory of relativity is credible.

This assumption is incorrect.

Yes, it is correct. The equation for the gravitational force is Force =  G * (Mass 1 * Mass 2)/distance 

So, the force is directly proportional to the mass, which means that if an object is 17 billion times more massive, the force is 17 billion times higher. 

An example

1.        F = G*( 8 kg * 3 kg)/6 m = 4 * G newton (I don’t actually know the value of the gravity constant, but it’s pretty low, something like 10^-20)

1.       F = G*(16 kg * 3 kg)/6 m = 8 * G newton

As you can see, if you double the mass, you double the force

I’ve done some math with a gravity calculator, and I have some pretty big numbers.

The black hole mass is huge. I’ve got it by multiplying the sun’s mass by17 billion:

33805353000000000000000000000000000000000 kg 

For the 2nd mass I’ve put there an average human body mass, 7 kg (which means that you with around 65/70 kg on Earth)

The distance I’ve put is 30000000 km 

I’ve got this acceleration:

2505352.272 km/s^2

That means that it would accelerate you to the speed of light in something like 0,11 seconds… And then? What happens? You obviously cannot go over the speed of light. That’s just impossible. In theory you couldn’t even reach the speed of light… 

Probably in General Relativity there is some law that tells you what happens, but I’m not a physician and I don’t know… Well, that means that I have to do some researches. 

@QaNopeTroll

You would probably turn into spaghetti first because of the enormous tidal forces. 

Mmmh, I’ve just done some simple math and now I’ve a pretty big doubt (I hope some of you have studied physics).

Sun’s gravitational pull on its surface is 273.7 m/sec^2. So, if this black hole is 17 billion times more massive, it means it has 17 billions time more gravitational pull on the surface. So, 273.7*17 billion = 4652.9*10^9 = a pretty stunning 4 652 900 000 000 m/sec^2, or 4 652 900 km/s^2.

So, this black hole can actually accelerate something OVER the light speed. And that’s… well… impossible. 

I’m mind blown right now. 

So, I’m asking: what happens if I let him accelerate me? Do I get faster then light (Other than being completely annihilated by the pulling force?)

https://www.quora.com/If-something-falls-inside-a-black-hole-will-it-accelerate-to-a-speed-thats-faster-than-the-speed-of-light-If-so-how-is-this-possible

Hope these helps.

https://www.quora.com/If-something-falls-inside-a-black-hole-will-it-accelerate-to-a-speed-thats-faster-than-the-speed-of-light-If-so-how-is-this-possible

Hope these helps.

not gonna watch but… does it do sth with the photonic boom?

not gonna watch but… does it do sth with the photonic boom?

Considering that it’s physically impossible to accelerate an object with mass to or past the speed of light, no. Instead, it’s just an introduction to special relativity – that is, that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. Thus, to someone in this hypothetical car, the light from their headlights would appear to be traveling away from them at approximately 3*10^8 m/s, until it reflects off something, at which point it appears to travel towards them at the same speed.

Meanwhile, to someone outside the car, it would appear that a pancake of infinite mass that looks an awful lot like a car was traveling past them, a tad over the speed limit.

Edit: Er, well, I did actually forget that the formula for time dilation isn’t defined at the speed of light. But hey, if you want to settle for .999c, this description works pretty well!

Considering that it’s physically impossible to accelerate an object with mass to or past the speed of light

That’s my problem. When you accelerate something, you add energy to it. By adding energy, the mass of the object increases, so you need more energy to accelerate it (it’s like the in-game resistances…). So, you’ll need infinite energy to accelerate something with mass to light speed. But I don’t think that this applies to gravity, too. Every object accelerates the same way. You can trow a 1 kg object and a 100 kg object down a building and they would hit the ground at the same time…