Shift from 3rd Person to 1st?

Space simulators are really fun when they feature realism through perspective.  I believe that a 1st person perspective in this game would be really fun and interesting.  It may be a bit difficult to implement, but I really do think that it would make the game more intense and fun.  What do you guys think?  I know that there are certain mechanics that make 3rd person better for this game, but let’s figure out what is doable and what is not.

Space simulators are really fun when they feature realism through perspective.  I believe that a 1st person perspective in this game would be really fun and interesting.  It may be a bit difficult to implement, but I really do think that it would make the game more intense and fun.  What do you guys think?  I know that there are certain mechanics that make 3rd person better for this game, but let’s figure out what is doable and what is not.

This has been discussed a lot already, but so here is a scenario you fly a frigate, you are in a cockpit and your enemy is below you, how are you supposed to target at him through the floor? The whole problem with st person view is that you can (and you shall to be effective) aim your gun in ANY direction with mouse control and then ship will accommodate, “cockpit” view blocks your vision arc and makes aiming much much harder.

If there were a toggle that could switch between the two view-modes, that could be very beneficial in many situations.  I completely agree that there would be issues for certain scenarios, but at times I would rather be in a first-person perspective for more precise aiming.  3rd person would be great for many moments of game-play, but I can see when 1st would be useful as well.

If there were a toggle that could switch between the two view-modes, that could be very beneficial in many situations.  I completely agree that there would be issues for certain scenarios, but at times I would rather be in a first-person perspective for more precise aiming.  3rd person would be great for many moments of game-play, but I can see when 1st would be useful as well.

there is a Zoom In key bind, it toggles max zoom in and out, it is still “outside” of a ship, but it is locked to a centre of your ship so you get same angles as First Person View would have.  

there is a Zoom In key bind, it toggles max zoom in and out, it is still “outside” of a ship, but it is locked to a centre of your ship so you get same angles as First Person View would have.

It’s “B” best View for long range weapons.

Honestly, I never really “fly” in this mode because the angle on the ship is very awkward, but I do use it to aim with.  It would be nice to eliminate the 3rd person zoom and make it a 1st person perspective that you can actually fly with.  I don’t know of anyone who flies in the zoomed 3rd person.

I have been looking at the cockpits in this game quite a bit imaging if I was in there. I think some fighters and interceptors are nice if there is simply a nice-looking cockpit. But other ships may have problems like frigates in which you stand on like a command platform. Also, I don’t see exposed cockpits on Jericho ships. And here’re my suggestions:

I’d like the view to be from the actual head of the pilot instead of the position of cockpits (well that’s not as important thing cuz of technical issues)

Add traditional cockpits, of course.

For Jerry ships, let’s assume that we have sensors all over the outside of the ship and the pilot is in the inside, like a little room or something, and you have all the screens around you that displays outside status; maybe 1-3 pieces of large, curved screen.

For some of the frigates… I think we should have pilot having headgears that can utilize sensors outside the ship. So from the pilot’s view you can still see your ship’s command room but it’s nearly transparent so you can see the outside, too. This may also be applicable to Jericho ships.

Looking or aiming around may be awkward in this mode… A good way to solve this problem is to improve the free look function so that mouse’s acceleration directly controls free look’s movement (instead of dragging the mouse to the edge of the screen)

I saw the 1st person-ish oculus rift mode; It’s great. Keep up the good work!

At last, the thrill of 1st person view would be nice!

Space simulators are really fun when they feature realism through perspective.  I believe that a 1st person perspective in this game would be really fun and interesting.   It may be a bit difficult to implement , but I really do think that it would make the game more intense and fun.  What do you guys think?  I know that there are certain mechanics that make 3rd person better for this game, but let’s figure out what is doable and what is not.

You think placing the camera at a different position is hard to implement? Otherwise it’s a terrible idea, it’s a battle based game, you can’t use it in a battle, therefore it’s useless. In a real space sim it would be awesome, immersion and all. But not here.

jerry ships usually are remote controlled completely, according to latest INN news about starmed.

just imagine small subspace camera drones being attached to your gravitational footprint. it’s the future! honestly, except parking the ship, why should i use first person if the technology allows me a 3rd person view? :slight_smile:

not that i have something against it, as a gimmick.

no way this game would even look okay with a first person view. this is not COD. it becomes like a human sitting inside something and it feels like you look at a screen. wich you are already doing irl. 

you sit somewhere, see enemies and shot them with weapons. just like COD. just wait for star citizen, 

also if you would have both, people would try out first person for like 5-10 minutes and then swap to 3rd person cause they are already so used to it from before. 95% would changed back to 3rd person. 

there is also just negative benefits from going 3rd person to first person. just like xkostyan said. 

Why people think CoD when talking about first person shooters? Why? This saddens me much.

I realize that most people wouldn’t fly in this mode for extended periods of time, but that’s not what this is about.  Compare a 1st person view to the horrible “zoomed in” 3rd person view using “B.”  Which one would be better for long-range aiming?  I never really use the zoom option because I know that I wouldn’t want to fly that way very long.  However, I feel that some people may actually want to fly in 1st if they had the option.  To me, it’s just a bit better than what is already in place.

I realize that most people wouldn’t fly in this mode for extended periods of time, but that’s not what this is about.  Compare a 1st person view to the horrible “zoomed in” 3rd person view using “B.”  Which one would be better for long-range aiming?  I never really use the zoom option because I know that I wouldn’t want to fly that way very long.  However, I feel that some people may actually want to fly in 1st if they had the option.  To me, it’s just a bit better than what is already in place.

For open world, yeah, flying from the cockpit would be fun. For combat, no, there is no point. Not worth the effort. It’s like the controller, would be fun (for some people, i guess), but utterly useless.