I’m sure mostly everyone who plays this game knows that there are two engineer modules that are practically never used or seen in battle: the static barrier and the warp gate. Sure, some pilots use them, but most avoid them because of their uselessness in 99% of instances.
Problems with the static barrier:
- It’s about 10x too small. No ship with adaptive shields would try to take cover behind this thing. The shield is too small, and they are moving way too fast to stay behind it. It needs to be made MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH larger so that it’s actually seen and used more. What if it’s like 1000-2000 meters in diameter…I’m sure you’d see a lot more of these.
- It’s about 5x or 10x too weak. I see a static barrier, and I just start shooting at it because I know I can take it down by myself. This should be impossible. It should take a whole team focusing for several seconds to bring one of these things down.
- It’s NOT completely bulletproof. Ever seen a bubblegunship take out an engie through the SB? It happens a lot.
Problems with the warp gate:
- It doesn’t warp far enough. 5,000 meters is nothing. In a game that has such large maps.
- Players crash a lot. Stupid engies putting warp gates that go into obstacles are stupid. Make it so you can’t deploy warp gates if a crash lies at the other side.
- They are about 10x too weak. Seriously…it’s a joke. They are SO easily destroyable. If I can destroy a warp gate before the engie even has a chance to use it, then that’s not ok. The engie should have a chance to run and not get screwed because the “mobile warp gate” is neither mobile nor going to warp you if it’s destroyed.
- You warp and you lose your heals. Unless the engineer follows you through the warp gate, you lose your healing bonus. Maybe warp gates should heal people who fly through them for 10 seconds or so at standard engie rates (based on ship sizes) so that this HUGE loss is accounted for. I know this is why most don’t use warp gates…they want to stay by the engineer for healing, and won’t use the warp gate.
- They are way too small. Make them huge, able to send 5 ships through at once without any crashes.
- ALL WARP GATES SHOULD BE DEBUGGED TO PREVENT FAILED WARP ATTEMPTS AND PREVENT FRIENDLY SHIPS FROM COLLIDING.
Problems with Autonomous Recharge Station:
- It needs to heal ALL allies in range, but by a lesser amount. Right now, the recharge station heals the player with the lowest shield volume. But how likely is it that more than one player has lost some amount of shield volume? Pretty damn likely. And how likely is it that you, with half shields, will get healed? Well, flip a coin.
The autonomous repair station is innately better because fewer ships will have <100% hull strength than ships with <100% shield strength. To balance the two modules, the recharge station needs to affect all friendly ships in range, but by a lesser amount. Maybe half of what it is now.
Increase the size of the stations so they are more easily destructible. They are too hard to hit with some weapons, and provide the biggest boosts to the enemy team compared to the value of the SB and the WG. Both of which are useless and large and easily destructible. It just seems a bit backwards.