Questions about T3 engineer frigate loadout

I’ve recently entered T3 with my Empire engineer frigate and I would like to know about the best modules and passives to get.

I’m currently rolling with this setup:

Main weapon: Heavy Blaster

Ammuntion: Xenon Lamp (more dmg)

Missiles: Attack Drone

Engine: Vernier Engines (rotation Speed)

Capacitor: Pulse Discharger (more dmg, less energy)

Shield: Kinetic resistance

Hull: 3X Reinforced Beams (more hull health)

CPU: Electronic Guidance (decreased weapon spread)

Active Modules:

Mass shield, Mass repair, Energy Emitter and Automous repair station

Now I have the following questions:

-Is there a better weapon than the Heavy Blaster? And if the heavy blaster is good, do i need increased projectile speed on it?

-Is the Vernier Engine worth it? Or is straight up more speed better?

-As you can see I’m currently only using increased hull health modules, rather than increased hull resistances. What is better, straight up more health or more resistances?

Thank you in advance!

Hi

Avoid attack Dornes and get Torpedo or octopus.

Heavy Blaster is PvE best, otherwise most ppl prefer CM or Positron.

For Modules check this out

[http://forum.star-conflict.com/index.php?/topic/21949-styx-build/](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/21949-styx-build/)

Regards

Gekaler

Co-Head-Rage

Stacking pure health is generally a poor choice. As is kinetic resistance on a shield.

For shield, either use thermal / em resist or up max shield %. For hull, the bare minimum I’d suggest is 1x kinetic resist, 1x thermal resist and 1x health increase. There are better loadouts, but they require sacrificing speed or accel. This is arguably the best “no penalty” loadout.

First and foremost, how do you usually fly your engie? There are many Styx builds on the forums with all kinds of setups, and each of them excel in a particular playstyle. 

Well, it does Not depend on how We fly, it has to fit your style.

Generally speaking Styx is an Guardeneer, i.e. It could tank a lot.

It is pretty slow, so take care you Are Not at the very front.

You are a Supporter, so Act like it.

A good Idea is usually to stay with the Group or at least a Guard.

You are also Not assumed to deal damage, so mainly stay at the back.

I personally hink you can neglect the Penalty on speed as You are anyway the slowest and could compensate it with good tactics and playstyle.

Cheers

I go kinet, thermal, galvanized build

I admit it, the guys who said barrier sucks were right. I tried the hull station today, it so much more powerful

Is the Vernier Engine worth it? Or is straight up more speed better?

Personally, while I do like having some speed on my Styx, I believe it’s better off with more hull strength. I’ll let the Fed engies step in if my team needs a fast-moving healer.

Between verniers and collision compensators, I picked the latter because of I prize strafe speed over rotation speed. It’s all a matter of playstyle. I strafe a lot, so I’ll favour CC over verniers. 

I use vernier, but i might want to switch

Barrier is useless in most cases as intis do fly around it and singu ignors it at all

Use all three auras and your team will love you.

Last active module should be a station.

Im goinbtri aura + hull station

I’ve recently entered T3 with my Empire engineer frigate and I would like to know about the best modules and passives to get.

I’m currently rolling with this setup:

Main weapon: Heavy Blaster

Ammuntion: Xenon Lamp (more dmg)

Missiles: Attack Drone

Engine: Vernier Engines (rotation Speed)

Capacitor: Pulse Discharger (more dmg, less energy)

Shield: Kinetic resistance

Hull: 3X Reinforced Beams (more hull health)

CPU: Electronic Guidance (decreased weapon spread)

Active Modules:

Mass shield, Mass repair, Energy Emitter and Automous repair station

Now I have the following questions:

-Is there a better weapon than the Heavy Blaster? And if the heavy blaster is good, do i need increased projectile speed on it?

-Is the Vernier Engine worth it? Or is straight up more speed better?

-As you can see I’m currently only using increased hull health modules, rather than increased hull resistances. What is better, straight up more health or more resistances?

Thank you in advance!

Get rid of the heavy blaster.  Multiple people are telling you to, I’ll join in to reinforce it.  It’s only good for hunting frigates and with a Styx’s strength it can tank a frigate while fighting.  With any other weapon you will be able to face ship types other than frigates.

For attack drones, you have to be very aware of your target locks.  You have to spawn them immediately, and keep an eye on them.  Unlike em torpedo or octopus they require some micromanagement.  I use them and love them.  They can be annoying at times but the good times are worth it.  But you have to learn how to use them.

For your shield I’d recommend something other than kinetic.  Thermal and EM are better choices.  Auxillary shield or shield projection are what I’d honestly recommend.  At the same time, in a Styx you’re still ok without a shield.  Adaptive can be good, but you have to remember it only works if flying at maximum speed.  It does boost your hull though.  In most of my firefights on a Styx I’m below maximum speed.

I fly my engineer somewhere between an guard and engineer.  It’s a tank with armor plated hulls and galvanized armor, and I fit a venier just to counter the galvanized armor’s drawback.

For an engineer, if you can tolerate slow heals, pure bulk helps, at least for armor plated.  Resists could work as well with good heals if you can’t tolerate the slow heals.  Thermal will always be your biggest threat.  If you fit one resist, fit it.  I should do the math for how the true survivability is for an afk Styx with active modules is when going resist or pure tank.

Also, the first two modules you should try to get to Mk.4 are the nanodrone cloud and repair station.  The rest can wait.

In my opinion, you’ve already done the right thing by going with the empire’s engineer.  The Hydra II is a powerful ship in the right hands, but you have to be careful with your modules.  Empire ships boast increased hulls over the other races, but that also means their shields are rather useless…to put it bluntly.  Taking advantage of the increased hull will grant you a longer life most of the time, but keep in mind that a ship without shields (especially a frigate) is a prime target for the enemy team.  Like most have said, stay back, calculate, and support your team.  You should not be the first to die, or you will doom your team to destruction.  Therefore, stay with the middle of the pack, and try to keep as many of your ships in your heals as you can.

In terms of weaponry, the HB are only decent against frigs, but good frigate pilots will make it hard for you to charge up your cannons.  Using a weapon like the CM can allow you to get high-damage shots off consistently enough to stand a chance against most ships.  

I use heavy blaster on my anaconda m, it actually quite good. Wouldn’t use it on an engi though, that needs positrons

Thanks everyone for the great responses!

I have switched my flat health boosts to resistance increases and my shield now gives me thermal resistance.

The only thing I can’t seem to work out is my weapon. I’m still using the Heavy Blaster. I’ve tried the mortar and I couldn’t hit anyone with it. Sure it has splash, but I was still missing most of my shots against interceptors and even fighters.

And for the Pistrons, I don’t know why there better than the heavy blaster. They have only half the DPS and against an interceptor or fighter, the Heavy Blasters rotation speed doesn’t matter anyway.

As soon as interceptors or fighters are on my tail, there’s NOTHING i can do against them. That’s why id rather have the Heavy Blaster so that I can at least help my team in damaging there frigates. Will boosting my rotation speed a lot help against these interceptors and fighters buzzing around me or staying on my back? Or should i not bother with upgrading rotation speed to counter that?

Btw: Is weapon spread reduction worth investing in with Heavy Blasters/Positron?

Install Vernier Engines for that.

Thanks everyone for the great responses!

I have switched my flat health boosts to resistance increases and my shield now gives me thermal resistance.

The only thing I can’t seem to work out is my weapon. I’m still using the Heavy Blaster. I’ve tried the mortar and I couldn’t hit anyone with it. Sure it has splash, but I was still missing most of my shots against interceptors and even fighters.

And for the Pistrons, I don’t know why there better than the heavy blaster. They have only half the DPS and against an interceptor or fighter, the Heavy Blasters rotation speed doesn’t matter anyway.

As soon as interceptors or fighters are on my tail, there’s NOTHING i can do against them. That’s why id rather have the Heavy Blaster so that I can at least help my team in damaging there frigates. Will boosting my rotation speed a lot help against these interceptors and fighters buzzing around me or staying on my back? Or should i not bother with upgrading rotation speed to counter that?

Btw: Is weapon spread reduction worth investing in with Heavy Blasters/Positron?

Coil mortars help with projectile speed.  If you fly with coils, you can presume you’ll miss shots.  But when an interceptor is flying around you they can’t fire enough of the time to let your luck with coil mortars finish the job in time.  Verniers do help, along with keyboard skill.  Positron’s mainly a ranged weapon.  In a 1v1 I feel coils are best.  Positron’s I need to try again, but they need some distance to really be effective.  Another downside of coil’s is their limited range, you will be attacked by ships that are outside of your weapons range, and normally it will be someone faster than you.

Coils work well only if you bring yourself into the middle of the brawl, which means that coils would actually work very with adaptive shield. With positrons, you can afford to sit still and shoot.

Alright my current setup is as follows:

Main gun: Positron cannon

Ammo: increased projectile speed

2x armor plated hull and 1x galvanized armor

CPU:‘Horizon’ module for increased optimal fire range

I’m definitely doing better with the Positron cannon. I still can’t hit interceptors though…

Any tips on how to take on those annoying *bee’s?* (I always imagine a buzzing sound when one is circling around me)

Drop at least one armor plated hull for a single type resist