Petition to Gaijin to Allow the local modding of Ship Textures/skins.

Overview:

I’m a modder from a well known game from a well known competitior and the one key advantage of said competitor is that they allow people to create thier own textures/skins for their units, thier files being easily accessible and modifiable. And due to this, a substantial modding community has arisen from it, which is great.

I have noticed that Gaijin’s games mostly don’t have this capability to be modded, said files locked away in tons of special compression algorithms (zlib, this means you), with anyone’s dreams of having a fully customized (pimped out) ship barred by the limited choices and high prices of the customization shop.

I’m hereby requesting the SC devs to allow modders like me some manner of modding the local files for the ship textures/skins- at least. Other UI aspects like the interface/HUD, crosshairs, etc. can come later.

I would like an official reply from anyone from the Dev Team and/or even GMs on this.

To players:

Please vote if support this suggestion or not, and if you are willing to make skins for ships and what, etc.

Also, I would like this to be the central topic in terms of what kind of skins do you want to see or are willing to make.

Modding games is good, as long as there are rules to what you can mod.

But I support modding capability(either soon or somewhat after release)

I won’t make skins since I have no idea how, and don’t have the patience to learn it either.

Modding games is good, as long as there are rules to what you can mod.

But I support modding capability(either soon or somewhat after release)

I won’t make skins since I have no idea how, and don’t have the patience to learn it either.

Yeah there should be limits on modding, to prevent cheats from getting in- that’s why I suggested the ship textures first, as they are found in the game install and are easily the most noticable visual aspect of the game.

Skinning depends on what files the skins are based on. If the skin files are DDS files, then GIMP and Photoshop can be used for them. If some other file format, we just need to learn.

Customisation is always a big thing in multiplayer games. I for one would love to be able to rock out in Wardens iconography for every ship I own, not just the “too xxxx to mention” Rank 4 / 7 ships the Wardens are now cursed with. They deserve better!

How will this impact memory use and loading times?

How will this impact memory use and loading times?

Depends actually on how large the edited file is vs the original files, not to mention what settings the edited file is saved in.

I had cases of people making skins that are 1-300% of the default or expected size, only to realize that they omitted a crucial step (namely merging all visible layers).

but interms of memory use and loading times, It should be minimal, just a few miliseconds or a couple of seconds loading time and just a few more chunks of memory eaten.

Buying and using skins is one of the primary methods Gaijin could earn money without going down a pay2win route. Enabling users to do this locally would detract from some of the potential sales of skins in the game. Purely for that reason I would say no.

I strongly believe that offering us skins and further customisation is the best method to earn additional revenue whilst appealing the player base and not unbalancing the game-play.

Buying and using skins is one of the primary methods Gaijin could earn money without going down a pay2win route. Enabling users to do this locally would detract from some of the potential sales of skins in the game. Purely for that reason I would say no.

I strongly believe that offering us skins and further customisation is the best method to earn additional revenue whilst appealing the player base and not unbalancing the game-play.

How about an ingame skin editor but with payment options (saving WIPs is free though)? You can make a custom ship job and still pay credits or standards for it.

UI editing is what interests me the most. If given a chance i would definitely give it a try to make my own customization(and share).

Also it would not overlap with ship skins which devs like to keep to themself for selling.

How about an ingame skin editor but with payment options (saving WIPs is free though)? You can make a custom ship job and still pay credits or standards for it.

Several people suggested this and I for one would love to see more customisation options.

I voted yes, because as long as it is moderated to filter out profane or immature paint schemes, it has the potential to be a big hit.

I love messing around with textures, and would be all too happy to contribute paint scheme templates.

Gaijin could create a player market where currency is based in Gold Standards. Player created and approved skins are uploaded to a database catalogue and can be purchased for 100-200 GS per skin. The GS is then given to the player who created the skin. Players who want to buy skins are thus encouraged to buy GS.

Also, it could be possible to have a template that the colors are customizable, thus allowing Gaijin to still sell colors for further customization.

The same could be done for player-created stickers. Stickers that are uploaded to the database can be purchased by others with GS which then goes to the creator. Stickers could also be given custom color options to further diversify the fleet.

driving games are all about pimping their rides and they make alotta moolah from that. I would definitely appreciate a need for speed kinda customization for my ships. built in in-game editor = hellyea

[edit] that is to say the current one we have with fixed livery template is sooo 80’s. give players to apply either their own template or give a menu which we can use to mix and match.

I actually suggested an idea similar to this idea earlier, I think it is a very cool idea. I generally don’t pay real money for customization options in games, but I would be willing to pay money if I could personalize my ship. Uploading textures to use on your ship would greatly increase players’ usage of the customization option.

Well, lets get the one we have working on first… If there is profit to be made by it, then it will likely be expanded… If no one buys anything from it, why would they put alot more effort into it?

Hello

at the moment there are no plans for allowing any kind of change to the game files. The only thing that is planned is to improve the ship customization and to add the crafting system to the game which will also offer some nice stuff.

(But we may run events from time to time where players can suggest graphics or other content)

Greetings

Error

won’t happen forthe same reason it won’t happen in WoT.

because they make money from selling models/skins.

still doesn’t stop people from modding WoT, contrary to the ToS agreement, because WoT has no hack detection and doesn’t even verify the integrity of game files. i’m assuming neither does this game.

the file format is proprietary it seems, so it will be a matter of months before someone disassembles it. if you just want to modify textures, there are other ways to do that without modifying the game files. however, such discussion is not permitted here.

True, but they could make you pay money if you wanted a personalized skin for your ship. I don’t usually pay for in-game content, but I would pay a good bit for a permanent personalized skin for my ship.

True, but they could make you pay money if you wanted a personalized skin for your ship. I don’t usually pay for in-game content, but I would pay a good bit for a permanent personalized skin for my ship.

i dunno how you feel about an extra 10,000 skins in your data directory. ;\ i’m sort of… on the fence about that one… in any case, it would require a podium finish or some other way to show of your ship to make it worth any expense for cosmetic items.

otherwise, if you just want to look at a skin on your machine, i already stated there is a way to do that without modding the game files themselves, but i can’t discuss it here, and won’t discuss it in private either. unless some admin gives me approval.

won’t happen forthe same reason it won’t happen in WoT.

because they make money from selling models/skins.

still doesn’t stop people from modding WoT, contrary to the ToS agreement, because WoT has no hack detection and doesn’t even verify the integrity of game files. i’m assuming neither does this game.

the file format is proprietary it seems, so it will be a matter of months before someone disassembles it. if you just want to modify textures, there are other ways to do that without modifying the game files. however, such discussion is not permitted here.

Wrong.

We have a securitiy system which clearly checks for broken/modified game files.

this is a bad idea.

people will make the ships totally white or yellow or some other easily seen color and have an unfair advantage over people who do not skin the ships

I saw it first hand in Counter Strike when you could skin your own models but nobody else could see it.

People got crafty and skinned the models so they had compus points on them and you could see which way they were facing and such from a long ways away. It was such an unfair cheat