no fun, cheap players

ok when a team all huddles up in a tight ball around their captain and waits it out killing off everything that comes near is no fun at all!!! and those that do it are cheap as all get out!! its starting to make this game not fun at all… maybe there shouldn’t be squads in the pvp games to keep this kinda crap from happening. its just as bad as when the other teams captain could flight out of map where no one could get to them, at least now there is a fix for that but this new cheese is ridiculous.  its like being put on a team of snipers that dont move up at all just sit in their spawn point and you are the only one out trying to capture beacons.

this game so far has been my most favorite game ove all others (MMOs that is) i have waited for something like this for a very long long time and it really hurts to see DBs ruein it, unfortounatly i cant think of a way to fix this other than no squads in pvp no grouping up with yer buds so you can “cheat” the system.

also one more quick gripe…no more grouping up lower level/tear ships with higher level/tear ships!! its not fair for those lower guys and way too easy for higher guys… i have been on both ends and its not really fun either way. and if you have multiple level ships to choose from as your 3 then you get grooped into what ever level your highest level ship is.

or maybe u should get some skills and teammates to attack the cpt

this is a 100% legit tactic,

Get one or two people to follow you, you two/three go for their captain. Entirely doable most of the time.

captian recon IS a problem, its boring and tedius and most of the times people just hope for a higher kill count and wait it out.

i tried making people work together but to no avail, now i just covert op at the best timing i can (no command or engies in the area)

and just pummel the cap with all i have, it usualy works, if it doesnt i try again.

this is probably the only game with spaceships that utilize terrain in such an extreme way. :expressionless:

Okay, so the problem seems to be that captains sit back and camp behind rocks. True?

Possible solution a) - enforce a “timeout” for zones the captains camp in - 5km spheres, if captain spends >1 minute in it, he starts taking a DoT that gets worse and worse. This forces captains to move around more.

Possible solution b) - captains take DoT in proportion to their distance from the centre of sector. 5km around centre, no DoT, 5-10km = medium dot (maybe equal to healers?), 10-15km - heavy dot (cannot outheal by healers, captain can last for some time but not for long), 15-25km = very heavy dot, instantly screws up any microwarping SoB campers. This forces captains to not run to extreme far ends of the sectors, and for the teams to engage in dogfights near centre to keep capn alive, rather than grouping up in a cluster at the far end of nowhere.

Possible solution c) Asteroids, rocks, and other surfaces have an attractive property to them in relation to the captain. If captain gets too close to a surface, he gets beached and stuck to that surface. At close range, the surfaces also pull the captains in, making it harder for them to escape, maneuver, and fly straight. This deters capns from hugging into cover and forces them to be more in the open.

Any of these sound like something that could solve the issues with recon mode?

umm yea we had about half our team go up there, half went high the other half went low and their snipers took out half of us before we could get close and the rest of their team took the rest of us out once the few of us that was left got close enough to fire on their captain. 

bladeofshadow sounds like you tend to do this (sit around yer captain and rake in kills and wait out the clock) all the time and its perfectly ok… it has nothing to do with skillz, before people started using this tactic i was usually the only one on the team that would even make it to the other teams captain and take him out, so i have skills to get over there and actually fire on him but when you have 4 snipers shooting you from so far away and once you get into firing range you have 5 others also shooting at you its kinda tuff to dodge all those, and even when you are with your other team mates they still have more teammates to shoot at them as well.

X2eliah no its not the captain at all its the rest of the team. its when the rest of the team sit back in one area around the captain and snipe anything that comes into range and then pick off what ever is left. its like half the team is snipers and the other half are fighters. the captain never fires a shot and just flys around the other teammates. i mean that’s what the captain is suposta do sit back and direct the team. but for the team to just sit back and rake in kills and wait it out that is no fun at all. the only solution i can think of that wouldn’t piss off a lot of people is take the kill numbers out of it… if no captain is killed then it is a draw and no one wins!! You MUST take out the other captain in order to win

Ah. Hm. So, captain has a debuff that harms its own teammates in 5km range. Result - nobody sticks around teir own captain, and instead goes to fight something else far away. How’s that?

forget

Ah. Hm. So, captain has a debuff that harms its own teammates in 5km range. Result - nobody sticks around teir own captain, and instead goes to fight something else far away. How’s that?

no because you should be able to have one or two team members hang back and help protect you. i think the best solution is take out the kill counter and make it where you have to take out the other teams captain to win!! if neighter team kills the other captain then it is a draw… no looting and the amount of xp/credits as if you lost in other words both teams lose the match.  that is the best solution i can come up with so far.

I wouldn’t mind a continually shrinking boundary around the playing field that moved spawn closer and closer with each passing minute - would speed up captains mode considerably and make it more “interesting”

What a moronic post, were you sarcastically contradicting yourself?

That “tactic” doesn’t require skill smart guy…

The easiest and most affective way to solve the Captain mode problems is to remove that xxxx mode from the game completely. OR!!! Put in an option that allows you to pick what game type you want to play… I know pure genius right?

This thread is beyond rediculous… A tactic of any sort is “valid”, the question is if it’s effective. If it works great, if it didn’t someone will be sure to whine about it. I don’t personally think the great engy ball of death is one I’d use, but you can’t argue that it doesn’t work in some cases.

The big point here is that any tactic can be defeated. The only real issue is if your team can both figure out the counter AND effectively employ it. Often a failure to do either results in a loss, and a few folks developing a severe case of butt hurt syndrome.

When a game lets people decide what to do to get a job done, especially involving conflict… the line between “fair” and “cheap” is usually something people define personally. The only difference is if YOU were the winner or loser.

I’ve been on both sides, it’s how you deal with the outcome, win or lose.

This thread is beyond rediculous… A tactic of any sort is “valid”, the question is if it’s effective. If it works great, if it didn’t someone will be sure to whine about it. I don’t personally think the great engy ball of death is one I’d use, but you can’t argue that it doesn’t work in some cases.

The big point here is that any tactic can be defeated. The only real issue is if your team can both figure out the counter AND effectively employ it. Often a failure to do either results in a loss, and a few folks developing a severe case of butt hurt syndrome.

When a game lets people decide what to do to get a job done, especially involving conflict… the line between “fair” and “cheap” is usually something people define personally. The only difference is if YOU were the winner or loser.

I’ve been on both sides, it’s how you deal with the outcome, win or lose.

only problem is there isn’t a counter. if half the team is snipping and killing off most of your team before you can even get into firing range then you are left with a small squad to deal with the other half of their team that is all in fighters and taking out the rest of you.   just sitting back and waiting out the clock and gaining kill numbers is not the point of the game. that is why i propose taking out the kill meter and forcing the teams to go after the captain in order to win. that is what you are suppose to do in that game any ways.

What a moronic post, were you sarcastically contradicting yourself?

That “tactic” doesn’t require skill smart guy…

Did u even read what I wrote dude, *facepalm*

I think something has to be done about the “defender’s advantage” that this game has. Clustering around the Engi’s / Command Frigates and camping is a really good way to ensure you will not die, ever. Worst of all, with Healing abilities being what they are, you can essentially shrug off thousands of points of damage and render yourself invincible with a little bit of cover use.

only problem is there isn’t a counter. if half the team is snipping and killing off most of your team before you can even get into firing range then you are left with a small squad to deal with the other half of their team that is all in fighters and taking out the rest of you.   just sitting back and waiting out the clock and gaining kill numbers is not the point of the game. that is why i propose taking out the kill meter and forcing the teams to go after the captain in order to win. that is what you are suppose to do in that game any ways.

Can it be countered…absolutely. Is it easy to do without team work…absolutely not. Again, for those missing the finer points… This takes teamwork to defeat. It means you and your team are going to need a spread of ships in your hanger. By mid T2 you should consider fielding a full hanger of 3 ships with an eye toward some roles. You’ll want an engy yourself, perhaps a guard, and at least one fighter of your favorite sort. You’ll want setups that differ. Consider having one for close support, one for long range firepower, and another for all around. That means using more then one weapon type.

Yep, it IS pretty involved, and likely beyond your average pug group. No arguement there, as especially in T2 people are still learning. If you are queing up solo, without a diverse hangar, and varied setups… for each of those things not done, your decreasing your chances of having a counter to a given tactic on the field. Especially solo que’d your basically playing dice and hoping for a lucky roll in the form of a team.

All that said, I DO HOPE they limit engineer heal stacking, at the very least via diminishing returns if not eliminate it all together. Even if they do that, grouping up into a “ball” formation with fields of fire that overlap, putting your vulnerable ships at the core, and surrounding that with zones of support fighters an guard frigs… well folks that’s just SMART. It’s effective because defense has always had an advantage over offense, namely because in some way the defense can often choose WHERE and HOW the engagement is going to start. It’s a tactic that works in LIFE as much as any video game… the only difference is, the enemy doesn’t have any one to complain to that’s going to help or care out there in the real world. In here, folks pray a dev is somehow going to save them from tried an true tactics?

Here’s an idea… you know all those “useless” torp and snipe frigs… Well god forbid your fighters tie up a “ball of death’s” anti missile systems with minor missile spam while your torps salvo grouped ships. Coupled with incoming fire via sniper frigs at enemy frigs with now stripped shields an golly gee you’ve got yourself a REAL fight eh. Suddenly the “ball of impenetrable death” becomes a shooting gallery faced with a choice. They can now adapt to your tearing their defenses up, or most likely devolve into chaos as their one trick pony show just got hammered.

There is almost always a way to defeat a tactic, be it defense or offense. The problem your facing is coordination. If your team is full of solo hero’s, well your just screwed, fustrating as that is. Having a team of random players that can’t be bothered to work together will always lose to a team that will. I’ve yet to see a problem present here that doesn’t have a -human- solution available.

Can it be countered…absolutely. Is it easy to do without team work…absolutely not. Again, for those missing the finer points… This takes teamwork to defeat. It means you and your team are going to need a spread of ships in your hanger. By mid T2 you should consider fielding a full hanger of 3 ships with an eye toward some roles. You’ll want an engy yourself, perhaps a guard, and at least one fighter of your favorite sort. You’ll want setups that differ. Consider having one for close support, one for long range firepower, and another for all around. That means using more then one weapon type.

Yep, it IS pretty involved, and likely beyond your average pug group. No arguement there, as especially in T2 people are still learning. If you are queing up solo, without a diverse hangar, and varied setups… for each of those things not done, your decreasing your chances of having a counter to a given tactic on the field. Especially solo que’d your basically playing dice and hoping for a lucky roll in the form of a team.

All that said, I DO HOPE they limit engineer heal stacking, at the very least via diminishing returns if not eliminate it all together. Even if they do that, grouping up into a “ball” formation with fields of fire that overlap, putting your vulnerable ships at the core, and surrounding that with zones of support fighters an guard frigs… well folks that’s just SMART. It’s effective because defense has always had an advantage over offense, namely because in some way the defense can often choose WHERE and HOW the engagement is going to start. It’s a tactic that works in LIFE as much as any video game… the only difference is, the enemy doesn’t have any one to complain to that’s going to help or care out there in the real world. In here, folks pray a dev is somehow going to save them from tried an true tactics?

Here’s an idea… you know all those “useless” torp and snipe frigs… Well god forbid your fighters tie up a “ball of death’s” anti missile systems with minor missile spam while your torps salvo grouped ships. Coupled with incoming fire via sniper frigs at enemy frigs with now stripped shields an golly gee you’ve got yourself a REAL fight eh. Suddenly the “ball of impenetrable death” becomes a shooting gallery faced with a choice. They can now adapt to your tearing their defenses up, or most likely devolve into chaos as their one trick pony show just got hammered.

There is almost always a way to defeat a tactic, be it defense or offense. The problem your facing is coordination. If your team is full of solo hero’s, well your just screwed, fustrating as that is. Having a team of random players that can’t be bothered to work together will always lose to a team that will. I’ve yet to see a problem present here that doesn’t have a -human- solution available.

yea there should be a solution but unfortunately i don’t see one. your idea didn’t work nor will it work. their snipers take out your ships before you can get into firing range, by the time you get in close enough to fire off your salvo of rockets your team is whittled down to almost half. and again the game isnt sit back and wait out the clock, its called hunt down the other captain and destroy it! so why not make it where you HAVE to do that?? if you dont you get punished by not wining. this is just strait up exploit, they figured out that hey if we just let them come to us we can just sit back and ramp up kills and win that way without really doing anything, then we get a win and get to loot and make crap loads o money!!! 

just take out the kill counters and force us to take out the other captain easy peasy!!! no more cheap exploits. back to the fun of the game!!!

I think only thing that snipers can take out is trash. I dont see how they could hit fighter or inty, and in long range even frig can evade them(frig can also ignore them for few hits). And if they find some magical spot where to sit all day, you can just kill the kamikadze guys, they always exist. No need to run after that captain if you cant do it, no one is forcing you to do that.

What he said