1. control

the default key binding set W as move forward, S backward

there are other different command in the key bindings:

set forward max speed, gradually increase forward speed

set speed to reverse, gradually decrease speed

are there any difference between these?

• move forward -vs- set forward max speed

• backward -vs- set speed to reverse

i tried them in tutorial, seems like working same. the difference is “move forward” key need to be hold down, while “set forward max speed” only need to trigger/command 1 time.

and what’s the purpose of the other “gradually … speed” ?

is there a way/command to make the ship “instantly” stop?

say, I’m moving forward at max, then I want stop “instantly”. is this possible?

like I want to capture beacon, full speed move toward it, when near it, just want to stop.

1. strafe

when i stationed, and strafe, do i move/strafe as the forward speed?

i see no details about the ship strafing speed.

but I feel like very slow when strafing compare to forward

1. control

the default key binding set W as move forward, S backward

there are other different command in the key bindings:

set forward max speed, gradually increase forward speed

set speed to reverse, gradually decrease speed

are there any difference between these?

• move forward -vs- set forward max speed

• backward -vs- set speed to reverse

i tried them in tutorial, seems like working same. the difference is “move forward” key need to be hold down, while “set forward max speed” only need to trigger/command 1 time.

and what’s the purpose of the other “gradually … speed” ?

say, I’m moving forward at max, then I want stop “instantly”. is this possible?

like I want to capture beacon, full speed move toward it, when near it, just want to stop.

1. strafe

when i stationed, and strafe, do i move/strafe as the forward speed?

i see no details about the ship strafing speed.

but I feel like very slow when strafing compare to forward

1. The “set to max speed, max reverse” bind is to avoid being always pressing W or S. It is good for long distance travel, or high speed maneuvres. Also, some keyboards don’t allow more than “x” number of imputs at the same time, so this way you are saving one imput.

No, you cant “stop” your ship instantly, you need to brake. Using afterburners to brake the ship will decrease the braking time. Also, if you cut the engine, your ship will still drift forward if you don’t brake. This has some uses, because wit your engines cut, you don’t leave a trail.

1. To see details on your ships, go to options, settings and select “detailed ship information” Usually your strafe speed is much lower than your forward speed, but it can be improved with implants (rank 5) and engine modules (in tier 4 and above)

No, but strafing instantly takes away from your forward/reverse speed because your speed is calculated from your movement in all directions. So for a fast stop afterburn backwards and activate both horizontal and vertical strafe. If you adjust the direction your ship is facing at the same time you get nearly instant stops even with the fastest ships.

No, but strafing instantly takes away from your forward/reverse speed because your speed is calculated from your movement in all directions. So for a fast stop afterburn backwards and activate both horizontal and vertical strafe. If you adjust the direction your ship is facing at the same time you get nearly instant stops even with the fastest ships.

5000+ battles and I did not know that!  Thanks Snib!  just goes to show you cannot stop learning in this game