New drone control system

So stuff about drones has been talked about in the patch notes discussion thread and reached the conclusion drones need more control options.

Let me quote a few things from there:

[…] something that is really bugged.

Engeneer Drones…

I mean, for pvp i have nothing to complain, neither for some phases of PVE. But, the 3rd phase of blackwood shipyard (the boss fight) when done with engeneers it is common to us to hide on a roof that exists on the level. The problem is that the drones bug, and instead of going after the targets it stays “glued” to the ceiling trying to shoot the targets through the wall which obviously doesnt work, making drones for that fight completely useless.

[…]

Well, not only in that “roof area”, but almost around all the ship they end up stuck. I wish we had a self-destruct option for our drones, so we can bring new ones when they got in that situation.

Did you try changing targets to get it unstuck?  I know bots get stuck sometimes or at least used to.  I guess that bug got carried over.

How about control options, like ‘attack x’, ‘return to ship’, ‘guard area’, ‘guard this guy’, ‘hold your horses’, ‘do the harlem shake’ etc?

Currently your only control is with the locks afaik.

So currently your only options to control them seem to be ‘locking someone’ or not. Another post says even that is possibly bugged.

So as my last quote says: add more control options for drones. Attack commands, return to ship commands, protect a certain area, protect pilot x, maybe even patrol a certain point (this would best require the 3D map suggested somewhere else and Homeworld 2 controls, and could result in the introduction of possible scouting / recon drones too later on!) and more.

Having more control over them automatically adds a debug tool in our hands. If they get stuck, switch command, send them again from a slightly different spot or have them do something else (patch in progress is stated to solve current stucking issues).

They could have several options to control them (2 come to mind right now):

1. point and click menus (map area mostly, but also in 3rd person view just like you hit ‘return’ to type in chat or check a mod on your ship or a bonus on top of the screen)

2. shortcuts (3rd person view mostly, but ofc just like above also available in the map menu)

Oh, and don’t misunderstand: not only point and click menus OR shortcuts, but BOTH OF THEM AT ONCE.

How does this work, again? Do I have to /sign this or something? It’s been so long since any good ideas have been brought here, I’ve forgotten…

Well, since there’s no poll, I’ll put a +1

I like this. +1    :good:

Interesting idea. If this gets implemented they are going to be more useful.

What about a radial menu that pops up around your cursor when you hold the ‘r’ button on a target or object that is ping-able?

Then you’d only have to hold ‘r’ when looking at a beacon, then move your mouse to the “defend this” quadrant of the circle and click. The mouse would go into ‘free-look’ mode while you hold the ‘r’ key, so you don’t accidentally steer into a rock. It might also be good to disable weapons when the menu is open so you don’t shoot a teammate.

The center of the radial menu would be the “cancel and return” command, for quick and easy retrieval of drones.

What about a radial menu that pops up around your cursor when you hold the ‘r’ button on a target or object that is ping-able?

Then you’d only have to hold ‘r’ when looking at a beacon, then move your mouse to the “defend this” quadrant of the circle and click. The mouse would go into ‘free-look’ mode while you hold the ‘r’ key, so you don’t accidentally steer into a rock. It might also be good to disable weapons when the menu is open so you don’t shoot a teammate.

The center of the radial menu would be the “cancel and return” command, for quick and easy retrieval of drones.

Good idea, that will make easier and faster to issue orders.

Although this would be great, I’ve just love a way to make them come back to me.

Yes pls!

I have to add that having the ability to choose your own preferred shortcut for it is  A MUST. I’m currently using ‘R’ for pings.