Need help improving my efficiency in PVP.

I have started playing this game a few weeks ago and loved it. I was doing really well at first, often collecting lots of medals while doing lots of damage. But once i got to tier 2, my efficiency (and survival) dropped like a stone, i struggle to have kills and survive. I crawled my way to tier 3, but i’m not doing any better despite all the modules and implants i can use there (in fact bots seem to do better than me :frowning: ). I can’t seem to kill enemies fast enough (and i do hit them) while i die i matters of a few seconds whenever they sneeze in my direction. 

I don’t have any preference in ships or factions; i have unlocked all T1 and T2 ships and got 2 Federation in Tier 3. 

Well you could always do some training with some good players (I can’t say I’m the best, or even really good, but I have around 8000 pilot rating, and am almost always on top). I could try to help you, and see where you’re going wrong, and see what tactics you are using.

Also, I am a fellow canadian to :slight_smile:

Well you could always do some training with some good players (I can’t say I’m the best, or even really good, but I have around 8000 pilot rating, and am almost always on top). I could try to help you, and see where you’re going wrong, and see what tactics you are using.

Also, I am a fellow canadian to :slight_smile:

Yeah, i really need to train with some players out there. Joining a Corp would be nice as well, i have been playing mostly on my own because none of my usual teammates want to join me in Star Conflicts. I will consider that in the next few days.

PS: Hello fellow Canadian ! :).

Yeah, i really need to train with some players out there. Joining a Corp would be nice as well, i have been playing mostly on my own because none of my usual teammates want to join me in Star Conflicts. I will consider that in the next few days.

PS: Hello fellow Canadian ! :).

Well you could always join my corporation, we’re mostly canadians, and we use teamspeak often as well! We’re not super competitive, but we do play along side each other, and help each other out.

on behalf of a Canadian master rase:

I find there are 2 most efficient ways to improve by 3rd party input 

a) Record a video of you playing, don’t try to show off and filter the best ones, record everything and ask for a review

b) Fly with someone who can constantly monitor you, and not those that going to simply carry you, because while they be plowing enemy team, they will not pay attention to what you are doing so won’t help you to learn much.

Well you could always join my corporation, we’re mostly canadians, and we use teamspeak often as well! We’re not super competitive, but we do play along side each other, and help each other out.

I don’t mind the “not super competitive”, i bet you are way more than i am  :fed001: . 

on behalf of a Canadian master rase:

I find there are 2 most efficient ways to improve by 3rd party input 

a) Record a video of you playing, don’t try to show off and filter the best ones, record everything and ask for a review

b) Fly with someone who can constantly monitor you, and not those that going to simply carry you, because while they be plowing enemy team, they will not pay attention to what you are doing so won’t help you to learn much.

I will have to learn to record my games i guess. 

Meanwhile i can say a few things about my playstyle. I often outfit my ships (/crew) for high resists (so they survive a bit longer) and speed. Weapon wise i do toy with many of the weapons in game, but i like long range high damage weapons like the gauss (though i’m learning it’s a poor choice of weapon in PVP as it is). As for my fighting style, i’m either trying to snipe/support others from some distance or try to blitz opportunity/primary targets like LRFs. In T1 i found weapon damage were high enough to quickly kill lone enemies, but as i get up in tier i find myself struggling to dispatch foes one on one, let alone when they have support. I like using tacklers for their cloaks (allowing me to vanish when things get hot or jump on enemies hanging back), but often use other types of ships like Engies, spec ops, Recons and Guards. I guess one of my major problem is i don’t fare well when fights drag on, i do much better if i can sweep though weak/weakened enemies than those that can tank/evade me. I try to be where i’m needed but often ends up fighting alone and ganked because the friendlies either died of fled (i guess i need to pay more attention to how the fights are going). And last but not least, i do have some troubles knowing were the enemies/objectives are at time; i seem to lose track of the icons on the sides…

Anyway, i will try to get a vid in the next few days.

Dude just get some sweet rolls and inhale the smokey flavor. It will increase your skill 10 fold.

If you wanna increase survival you should decide how you like to fight IMO. Eventually you can practice with all ships and learn when/how to use them, but at first I’d pick some basic things that you like. You say speed is important, so I suggest Interceptors. They can die easy, but not if you improve the rotation speed, give them a shield boost, and focus on intense offense.   One way to do this is to go back and forth in attack runs from different angles, and escaping before they hit you too much.  Don’t try to solo Guard Frigates if using Interceptors, unless you notice your weapon being particularly effective (sometimes they don’t match your weapon type with shield, or sometimes they have no hull resistance to that type of damage)  

For overall survivability, it’s hard to bear an engineer with rotation boost and a modded out coil mortar. I like to increase the rate of fire, and decrease weapon heating/spread to get maximum use of it. I fill the the modules with healing and defense, often to support the team. 

Another tip is to look at what the enemies and your other allies are using when you pick a ship. If you see a lot of intercepters, bring in an engy to support them, or a guard to spearhead the attack.  If you see lots LRF on the other side,  bring an interceptor and make waste of them.

Another tip is to stay back, and not try to lead an attack if nobody is near you. If you are being chased, run to some stronger allies, preferably some frigates, to get healed and also gain support. Most people won’t attack you if it’s 1 vs 3. Try to watch where other ships are, and look for stragglers on the enemy team. Try to lure them out, and retreat to a point where you can use cover to your advantage, or lead them back into a cluster of allies. 

If you are playing beacon cap, i def recommend interceptors for the increased capture speed.  If you cannot kill the enemies at the beacon, try circling fast and trying to avoid being hit instead of dealing damage. Capping a beacon is a solid 300 pts and gets you up there in score. Also, it’s hard to get killed if you spin fast, avoid pulsars, and watch for LRF missiles and coil mortar splash damage.

At the end of the day, pick any ship you think is cool and fun, and try to master it. You eventually will say to yourself “man i wish this ship had X” and then you look for mods that give you X. Usually a good way to play IMO.

Hope that helps a bit!

That thread is a bit old, i’ve got some time to improve my skills since. Still, thanks for the tips anyway. 

Some very good tips there!!