Long term (actual) skill rating

Yesterday, during the tournament, I was in a squad of players with over 6,500 pilot rating and players who play games in T4 and T5 as exclusively as they do. This caused our squad to encounter very tough competition against teams from other corporations that were way beyond our level.

The problem is the dynamicity of pilot rating.

The solution is simple.

For making matches against players to avoid complication of one-sided teams, I propose a system that calculates the entire average record of the player. Store the changes in the pilot’s ratings per battle, divide this by the number of PvP matches they have had, then use the result to determine the league of gameplay they should be in and the opponents they face. This will then turn the risk of playing teams that are way too difficult for anybody to play against, or even single-sided nature.

Does this make sense?

Quick edit… Not to mention, my afternoon squad destroyed two teams by 40 kills yesterday, simply because we were better coordinated pilots. While I’m happy about this result, I do believe it’s still unfair that these people were subjected to players that were obviously out of their match, despite the obvious “match” of pilot rating.

Please, please, please do something about this. The one-sided stuff needs to end. It is boring and nobody is progressing.

No. (Copyright ©_Error)_

Rumor has it that matchmaking is still based on the old ELO value which wasn’t as volatile as Pilot Rating is, just that this value is hidden from the players. But how exactly matchmaking works, especially for tourneys, remains a mystery.

No. (Copyright ©_Doomb0t)_

Actually it’s not Doombot who did that first. Imagine our NO-religion…

Doombot is the leader and Error is the god who started with it, so it actually has to be…

"No. (Copyright ©_Error_)"

My Bad. I’ve changed that.

Agreed, matchmaking is a joke as it is now. I’m starting to suspect that the only thing the MM still does is counting how much players are at each side and nothing more than that.

Imgur album with some unbalanced matches(had way more but I don’t take always screenies): http://imgur.com/a/3AIc1

Imgur album with some unbalanced matches(had way more but I don’t take always screenies): http://imgur.com/a/3AIc1

Here you go

[http://forum.star-conflict.com/index.php?/topic/20198-best-scores/](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/20198-best-scores/)

Rumor has it that matchmaking is still based on the old ELO value which wasn’t as volatile as Pilot Rating is, just that this value is hidden from the players. But how exactly matchmaking works, especially for tourneys, remains a mystery.

I wouldn’t be surprised. My guess is, it probably runs on the same system.

6000-6500 rating is rather average I could say, it’s average t4 player.

6000-6500 rating is rather average I could say, it’s average t4 player.

that is a below average t3, average t4 would be at 8500

6500 isn’t below average for t3. Only the better players could maintain 7k+ rating in t3, so I would say 6500 is average for most players in t3. but yes, 8500 is what you would expect out of an average t4/5 player. 

The point is, the system is mismatching people and this is how to fix it so it’s fair for everyone. Pilot rating doesn’t matter. It’s about the actual pilot and their overall actual skill as a pilot and the best way to measure this is over a long term statistics log.

Point is current pilot rating has zero influence on a matchmaking

Point is current pilot rating has zero influence on a matchmaking

Yep. The hidden ELO (skill rating) determines matchmaking. The current pilot rating serves zero purpose other than showing what tier a player plays in and how good they are at that tier.

For the weekend tournament, it adds up the hidden elo’s of the wing members to find an average. By my experience it was usually pretty fair, except that it always meant that the OWL wing was playing against the DNO wing (and usually twice because of that stupid bug) which was a bit boring, although challenging. (let’s not talk about the server choice here though…)

No. (Copyright

©

Error_)_

No one can take ownership of such a word,this is not America after all.

No one can take ownership of such a word,this is not America after all.

Russkies and germanz can.

For the weekend tournament, it adds up the hidden elo’s of the wing members to find an average. By my experience it was usually pretty fair, except that it always meant that the OWL wing was playing against the DNO wing (and usually twice because of that stupid bug) which was a bit boring, although challenging. (let’s not talk about the server choice here though…)

Well it is certainly broken now, for the tournament 2 days ago we got matched with DESU, STORM and WPK. We were just an average group of players, some players didnt even reached T4 yet, some didnt have full synergy T3 ships. We also got 3 random players who i hate to say it were not good at all. 

So there are 2 options, the theory that an average of ELO rating is made for tournament to match oponents is wrong or the system has been broken recently.

Either way even a bad matchmaker would have done better job then the terrible one we have now

Well it is certainly broken now, for the tournament 2 days ago we got matched with DESU, STORM and WPK. We were just an average group of players, some players didnt even reached T4 yet, some didnt have full synergy T3 ships. We also got 3 random players who i hate to say it were not good at all. 

So there are 2 options, the theory that an average of ELO rating is made for tournament to match oponents is wrong or the system has been broken recently.

Either way even a bad matchmaker would have done better job then the terrible one we have now

Were there many other wings in queue?