JP HACK presents: The Energy Transfer System (ETS)

ETS

fEGY099.jpg?1

Comment, rate, and +1 if you like it. 

What is the purpose for that, what do you want to fix with mechanics like this?

Its basically an addition, another feature that can be implemented. Would give users the feeling of actually driving 42nd Century tech ships. 

Very intriguing system, though it looks too powerful to be a base module but too generic to be a special module for a new role…

It would also not work at all due to different classes and roles. Each class and role would need it´s own stats at every point. 

And I see very little gain in such a system myself.

It’s interesting… but I question balance issues… Even seeing as all options have ups and downs… It also seems you’re favouring shields over armour, as well…

It would be nice for some new ship with a new role.

Also ETS in Spanish means STD: sexual transmision disease

Comment, rate, and +1 if you like it.

+0 :crazy:

but i think you have the same problem like many others here… sc is atm a  little boring  

all i do is waiting  patch and spam those forums and devise some dull :yes_yes:

this would be a bit of an empire buff :slight_smile:

but it is a nice idea. all power to forward shields.

I like it, but i see little reason to add it.

As long as its carrefully planned and well balanced, it can be added an i would like it

Moar DPS to snipers!

Good work and that system proved its worth 1000s of times in other games, but …

They removed the weapon damage type change to dumb down the game so any (sorry for the word - self censor ) mentally challenged person can fly ships.
They also dumb down controls and all other stuff, including team play, so no matter how skilled you are / have you been before. Everyone who starts the game and faces you in his first game (there was some topic with someone flying T3 on literally his first battle because of DLC), but having some previous space fighters experience to be able to beat you. Not really likely to beat you, but to give you troubles.

And you expect 4 mode energy system to be implemented ?

I guess the switch will be like Guard’s shield resists or else it will take too much keys to activate all 4 your modules, 4 additional “stances” and actually fly your ship and developers (or marketing) do not want that.

Yes, as I see it it would be exactly as guard’s shield resist. It would be a ship special module. 

I think it’s a genius idea. Certain details would be fine tuned of course, this is just a drawing board idea.

I also have an idea on how to implement it:

• They could introduce to the game missing ship roles in rest of the factions, with their special ability!

• So this could be the special Jericho gunship, with advanced ETS technology instead of crude Overdrive that loyalists and rebels are using! Jericho fighters used phase shield befofe, and this is a combined implantation of all the technologies, a marvel of Jericho engineering.

• Could also add the Empire Guard, Empire Covert Ops, Federation LRF, Federation ECM and Jericho Engineer, all with their unique abilites! Imagine the possibilities!

I think this would really spice up the game.

I wouldn’t say this could be quite a new ship type. Reason is that it will be an ‘everything’ type of ship, all-in-one. So who is gonna go for any other class if this exists? Rather this system works best if added to currently existing ships and not having such drastic numbers. For example +50m/s acceleration is freaking insane. And there’s a typo with rotation speed; that’s measured in degrees, not m/s :stuck_out_tongue:

Otherwise i like it.

+1

But partially i also share Mapoko’s concerns, so not expecting anything.

Good work and that system proved its worth 1000s of times in other games, but …

They removed the weapon damage type change to dumb down the game so any (sorry for the word - self censor ) mentally challenged person can fly ships.

They also dumb down controls and all other stuff, including team play, so no matter how skilled you are / have you been before. Everyone who starts the game and faces you in his first game (there was some topic with someone flying T3 on literally his first battle because of DLC), but having some previous space fighters experience to be able to beat you. Not really likely to beat you, but to give you troubles.

And you expect 4 mode energy system to be implemented ?

I guess the switch will be like Guard’s shield resists or else it will take too much keys to activate all 4 your modules, 4 additional “stances” and actually fly your ship and developers (or marketing) do not want that.

Incorrect at every level.

They removed the weapon damage type change so players were forced to put thought into their loadout! Consider the most basic question of “what weapon should I use?” Each weapon is meant to have its own strengths and weaknesses, but under the old system they didn’t. If you’re using plasma and your enemy has EM resistance stacked to hell, you just switched to kinetic damage. There is no “skill” there from the pilot’s end. Likewise, players on the receiving end were much more limited in their ability to make an informed design choice on their loadout.

Now, that has changed. I know that if you are armed with a coil mortar, you will cause kinetic damage and only kinetic damage with your main weapon. This means that I can build my ship around facing certain types of opponents; I can have a hull-tanked Empire, or a Jericho that laughs at EM, and it can work now because my target won’t just switch damage types when he spots I’ve got 150+ resistance against his primary!

Likewise, teamwork has not been dumbed down. I would argue there are problems in the education side of the game; clearly, players are getting as high as Tier 3 without actually learning how to play the game properly. However, that is not in any way due to the controls or the aim-assists - both of which have been around for a very long time, and in fact had there not been any change to the aim-assistance a while back I would put good money that nobody would ever have complained about it! The bitching over “auto-aim” came around because we were shown just how much the SC server has to do in order to make the game playable for a large chunk of its playerbase, and a few elitist pricks got their panties all twisted up when the Devs chose to cater to the 500+ screwed over players, and not the five who liked it.

Nor is the watering down of higher tiers due to the reduction in team size. Yes, it does make T3, T4 and T5 less threatening to the “n00bs” who will now actually try and fly there now, but it also makes it more approachable for everyone else!

Also, what point are you trying to make with that “first game” comment? Most people in their first game fly Tier 1. If someone buys DLC and jumps right in to a higher tier without flying T1 / T2 first, then they’re silly… but if they do it and are actually able to make themselves felt, how is that a bad thing? You seem to be bitching about the idea that some people who play Star Conflict are *gasp* good at games! What a notion! How dare anyone who knows the basics of how all space shooters work dive headlong into a space shooter without needing 8-10 hours of tutorial flights! Clearly, this influx of “outsider skill” is going to ruin the game forever!

So, finally, to JP’s idea. Honestly, I don’t see this ever being implemented… at least, not as described. It feels too big a boost to me. Maybe if it was a smaller boost with a relatively higher penalty (ie: +10% damage, -25% shields) it could see the light of day. Power control should be something an experienced pilot can use to squeeze a little more efficiency out of his ship, not a massive system change that can turn the tide of a battle all by itself.

I like this idea. It reminds me of a couple of space game’s where you could control auxiliary energy, so if you had fighters on you, you would switch to shields, if you were on an attack run you would switch to guns.

It seems quite a fundamental part of the game though and would require balancing around, I’m not sure if you could work something like this in as an addition.

I believe if there were 3 modes it should be “Offensive” “Defensive” and “Neutral”, neutral giving you nothing. Offensive and defensive could either be subjective to their ships-faction or have some in-hangar player-customization, so you set up the perks of your def/off buffs. That’s just my 2 cents. 

Those guilty: specific numbers are redundant, don’t fixate on them. It’s annoying, sharing hypothetical ideas with everyone, only to have them focus on the minor details that would most certainly change regardless of input.

Jasan, 

I get that you have a lot of passion for this game, but did you really need to go off-topic to lecture a corpie (granted half the forum are corpies, lol) over something you disagree with? Granted, quoted text was offtopic, it was also spoiler’d and it wasn’t 3 paragraphs that gradually gets more condescending.

Good suggestions! 

May I remind everyone that the numbers are NOT final, are there for examples only. 

The system was intended to be used on every ship and scaled accordingly for each class. I made this to show that there is a way to put back skill and effort back into this game, where now everything is shot or be shot. 

Example: An interceptor with afterburner tuning [on] could hit max speed, but note how much energy that modules uses. Sure he can go max speed, but until his capacitor runs out or gets sniped by any weapon due to the less resistance to shields and regen rate, then there is an equated risk. 

It is all in balance. Don’t get hung up on the details, lets work on the principle first, and implementation of the idea. 

Also, even if you dont want to put this system on every class, but the classes that neo suggested, then we can have more variety in the special modules. 

St1r:

I am just really, really tired of the idea that games “must” be xxxx, badly-built, overly complex and utterly devoid of fun, because to build them in any other way is “pandering to n00bs” or “dumbing down”. This is a cancerous mindset, both here in Star Conflict and in the gamer community as a whole.

To the topic in general:

I found myself thinking about the greatest space combat game ever made: Battlefleet Gothic. Yes, that’s a board game, but it was a game where ships could be issued special orders, with their own advantages and penalties. For reference, they were as follows.

Lock On: Ships can re-roll all missed hits, but cannot turn.

All Ahead Full: Ships halve their firepower and cannot turn, but get a straight-line speed boost.

Come to New Heading: Ships halve their firepower, but can make two turn actions (essentially becoming doubly mobile).

Burn Retros: Ships halve their firepower and halve their speed. Also removes minimum movement distance for the turn and allows ships to turn on the spot (ships in Gothic have ‘momentum’, so can’t turn whenever they want).

Brace for Impact: Ships halve their firepower, but have a special saving throw against all hull damage.

Now in Gothic, these abilities are orders, and there’s a unique little rule that if your commanding officer fails to give an order, the entire army loses out on the ability to give orders (except Brace for Impact - that was an order you could use at any time). This led me to think about Star Conflict commanders, and segued to my actual idea… what if Command Fighters could bestow these buffs on other ships?

Think about it; the Command Fighter does sod-all actual commanding. In fact, it’s probably better named “Support”, or “Sentinel” or “Bullet Sponge”. Command implies leadership, and this idea could be just that! Remove the Diffusion Shield from Commands and instead have the “Command Module” that applies modifiers to the ship and all nearby allies.

Mechanically, Command Fighters would only ever adhere to their own module, and players would benefit from the closest active Command Module. In addition, Command Fighters get a larger boost than their allies do.

So, using the examples above you might have something like…

Offence: Weapons do +10% damage (+15% for Command).

Defense: Shield and Hull Resistance increased by +5 (+10 for Command).

Evasion: Afterburner energy consumption decreased by 25% (50% for Commands).

This would give Commands a unique ability to support pretty much every role, but not to the extent their presence alone turns the tide of battle. It would make Commands the ideal second-line Fighter, in the same way the Engineer is the ideal second-line Frigate. It would also decrease the Command’s overall survivability, putting a little more emphasis on the Gunship and Tackler classes as the go-to ships for people who just want to brawl.

I wouldn’t mind seeing these as actual modules, but not a rotation skill.

I wouldn’t mind seeing these as actual modules, but not a rotation skill.

Its intended to be like the phase shield…Bah, whatever, its cool though. 

The problem I see with this sort of energy management systems is that, since there is almost always a best choice, it doesn’t provide much depth. It’s just one more thing you have to do.