Interceptor Guide

Alright, I’ll start this off simple. I want everyone to give suggestions. I will update this as those suggestions come through, and I’ll add my own when I’m not so tired. This will be divided into 3 sections. recon, ecm, and covert ops are the subjects. use any situation you deem easy or hard to handle. tier 1-5 will have their own sections.

As well, note what ship you use and what modules you’d suggest for that situation, what other modules you might use. If you deem any module/weapon inappropriate for the job, explain why. 

It’s about time I’ve updated this guide.

(beginning to update as of 10/14/2014)

ECM  -

T1:

Jericho:

Black Death

Dagger

T2:

Jericho:

Dagger AE

Dagger type V

Talon

Stiletto

Empire:

Neutron

T3:

Jericho:

Stiletto AE

Kris

Spirit

Kris AE

Empire:

Grim

Black Swarm

T4:

Jericho:

Nodachi

Kevlar-Ha

Nodachi EW

Empire:

Magnetar

Tempest

T5:

Jericho:

Wakizashi

Wakizashi AE

Empire:

Storm Viking

Recon -

T1:

Empire:

Dvergr 

King Dvergr

Dvergr 2

T2:

Empire:

Dvergr Knight

Scout

Wasp

Dwarf 2

Federation:

Hawk

T3:

Empire:

Diamond Dwarf

Swarm

Deimon

Federation:

Hawk-Eye

Sai

T4:

Empire:

Nibelung

Leonina

King Nibelung

Federation:

Black Bomber

Swift Eagle

T5:

Empire:

Viking

Jarl

Federation:

Spectre Falcon

Covert Ops -

T1:

Federation:

Swift

Kite-E

T2:

Swift-M

Blade of Aressa

Superkite

Swift Mk 3

Jericho:

Dagger type V

T3:

Federation:

Hawk-M

Eagle-B

Kite

Jericho:

Ricasso

T4:

Federation

Kite-M

Konkistador

Eagle

Eagle-M

Jericho:

Kris type S

Nodachi type A

T5:

Federation:

Grey Falcon

Falcon-M

Jericho:

Wakizashi type R

General Flight Patterns: Tactics against other Interceptors, Frigates, and Fighters -

While fighting an ECM, (using a Recon) make sure to try and wait until the ECM uses its ion to drain its shield. Elsewise, it’ll just cancel you out. I suggest using proximity mines. When the ecm uses its bubble shield, wait until the shield turns white, and then drop a mine on top of him. this is actually much more effective than using the energy lance on a CO due to the fact that it does not miss. and cannot be dodged. just make sure you’re away from the blast radius.

When the enemy is charging at you, make sure to drop your mine not just a second before he passes you, but more around 2-3. Elsewise, it won’t hit. If done right, you will have the ultimate mining skill.

Modules: Uses and functions -

Implants for certain ships, and why they may be better than others -

Weapons: find what suits you, Tips -

Etc.

Please, feel free to add sections.

Recon 101: hit n’run tactics. Fly in, drop a mine and locator, fly out.

First up:

Who actually uses survival modules on them? Not restoration, survival?

First up:

Who actually uses survival modules on them? Not restoration, survival?

I do, on my ECMs.

Multiphase Adapter?

I don’t support the idea of using resistances boosting modules on Ceptors, restoration modules are more suitable for them.

Multiphase Adapter?

That I do on Recons.

I don’t support the idea of using resistances boosting modules on Ceptors, restorationmodules are more suitable for them.

Neither do I, hence why I only use Flares on Ceptors.

no.1 content for any interceptor guide = how to fly like a pro

if you have no flight skills, stay away from inties.

there are basic and advanced maneuvers from other flight games but there should be a SCon specific guide on how to fly considering we have this weird keyboard + mouse relationship.

I’ve got terribad dogflighting skills (mostly due to the fact that ii play on laptop with fps drops to under 1… so rapid manoeuvring is almost impossible for me due to this limitation), and i tend to do as well on inties as on frigs and fighters. Inties are for everyone too, especially recons with minedropping as a core mechanic which does not require as much aim as a main weapon :stuck_out_tongue: Also ECM’s, albeit having terrible dps, have the kind of modules that eases your aim : energy drain to cut afterburner, and stasis, to stun. Also your special, which also stuns :slight_smile: Covops with their superior dps can pick up fighters and frigs with ease too, whitout requiring too much of a flying skill. 

You guys use tactics? i usualy fly in the middle of enemy group, start shooting and hope for the best.

+1 to that.  The only thing I see inties do really is either try to get behind you (offense) or hit random buttons and beeline all over the place till a guided missile blows them up.  (defence)

Recons with the parasitic remodulator work very well as hit-and-run ships, and you could potentially score quite a number of kills (or at least, damage assists). The remodulator rips off an enemy’s shields and you essentially bypass all kinds of resistances, so that in a sense helps you ‘damage’ your enemy. 

There are certain interceptor pilots in the game where the average pilot will find impossible to kill, evade or even land a shot on, homing missiles included. Those - are real inty pilots. Everyone else are just frigate truckers taking a break in something fast and fun.

That i can agree with :slight_smile:

I haven’t really noticed any intercepters being any harder to hit than others, other than the obvious newbie flying in a straight line.  The good intercepters are those that are using their cooldowns really well and are aware of their surroundings that makes them harder to kill.  These days with light speed projectiles/ AOE guns / Torpedo spam an interceptor is going to go down whether they like it or not.

Recon 101: hit n’run tactics. Fly in, drop a mine and locator, fly out.

Recon advanced:

Don’t use mines, don’t use locator.

Instead spy drone who might cloak or get heals, then fly in and gun everyone down, only fly out when you got too much ECM or missile spam incoming or need to grab some heals. Use EM missiles to strip shields. Keep using spy drones on cooldown, but pick your targets.

Never hesitate to cloak to shake too many locks or missiles, use the time cloaked to get into their back to finish them off (or to get away if you have to).

And never forget no ship caps faster than yours, but only federation recons fly fast. If you don’t have the highest number of captures on your team (in applicable game modes) you’re doing it wrong.

Between the cloak, remodulator and micro-warp it is almost impossible to get killed in a recon unless you mess up or are being hounded by other recons. With your staying power you’re like an energizer bunny prowling for kills.

Recon advanced:

Don’t use mines, don’t use locator.

Instead spy drone who might cloak or get heals, then fly in and gun everyone down, only fly out when you got too much ECM or missile spam incoming or need to grab some heals. Use EM missiles to strip shields. Keep using spy drones on cooldown, but pick your targets.

Never hesitate to cloak to shake too many locks or missiles, use the time cloaked to get into their back to finish them off (or to get away if you have to).

And never forget no ship caps faster than yours, but only federation recons fly fast. If you don’t have the highest number of captures on your team (in applicable game modes) you’re doing it wrong.

Between the cloak, remodulator and micro-warp it is almost impossible to get killed in a recon unless you mess up or are being hounded by other recons. With your staying power you’re like an energizer bunny prowling for kills.

I was once hunting down a recon who was almost dead and microwarping.  I was catching up.  The game ended before I got within firing range.

Cloaking is an alternative to flares when you’re worried about dieing.  If you’re full strength you can try to dodge, or take it if you can find a nearby engineer.

The only ship I have that uses survival mods is an engineer.  Either play it safe or find an engineer.  I think it was just yesterday I captured and planted a bomb in my interceptor with less than 15% hull but full shields.  I blame luck.  Often I’ll lose shields and half my hull planting the bomb on a midgame plant.

One tip, if you’re flying CO and you’re locked on to an interceptor with minimal survival left, hit the plasma web.  If they cloak, they still die and you get an enemy destroyed instead of damage assist.

Also, since 0.9, engineers are noticeably less common.  Assume you’re either going to have to tank or get away.  Either build for speed or build for tanking.  I think my Spirit’s actually one of the better tanking interceptors.

Finally, thermal resist.  Odds are, you’re going to want to try to capture a beacon, it’s interceptor nature.  Those lasers need blocked.  Same way with engineer combat drones.

Best inty pilots I met flew Recons. And is it just me or do those strafe faster than any other ship? I was in engineer and tears rolled down my face as it dawned on me none of my projectiles were ever gonna land on him as he strafed on all axis. I swear the trololol song was playing in the background. He didn’t even bothered to orbit me, just danced there strafing every which way.

Thing I noticed about these guys is that they used warp offensively, not as a means of escape. If I see a recon warping out - I continue to play me game. But when I notice this odd little ship around my peripheral vision warping in to play aggressive … I know my team is in trouble.

Best inty pilots I met flew Recons. And is it just me or do those strafe faster than any other ship?

AFAIK all ceptors have identical base strafe speeds, but if you fit for maneuvering speed (implants + passive mods) you can boost it nicely.

Thing I noticed about these guys is that they used warp offensively, not as a means of escape. If I see a recon warping out - I continue to play me game. But when I notice this odd little ship around my peripheral vision warping in to play aggressive … I know my team is in trouble.

Yeah, most recons always seem to warp the full distance, so in particular when warping out they remove themselves from the battle for a minute or so…

The trick about micro-warp is that you can cancel it while warping, so with a bit of experience you can do pin-point landings at virtually any distance. That makes offensive warps quite effective then.

The trick about micro-warp is that you can cancel it while warping, so with a bit of experience you can do pin-point landings at virtually any distance. 

I doubt most of the gaming community in the lower tiers have any idea that it’s possible to cancel out of a microwarp, unless they have actually flown a recon (in that case it’s easy to figure that out).

As a side note… perhaps we can start making proper guides for each class.