Implementing Better Tutorials

The tutorials of this game are shoddy at best. From the contacts on the righthand side of the screen to the beginner’s tutorials. What I will go through in the following paragraphs are why the current way of teaching beginner’s is horrible and what the developers can do to remedy the sickening state. I will also go over the GUI and it’s problems and how to fix them.

The contacts are the worst way you could possibly give players knowledge. Not only is it overdone in many other games but the contacts are text-based. Players look at the objective and speed through it to get the reward without ever knowing what happens. It doesn’t captivate the interest of the player.

The first contact is designed to be money hungry. The first contact tricks beginners into spending the free GS that they get at the start. The first contact you get does this and simply goes over things like firing a missile or shooting the main weapon.

The faction based contacts hardly get better. They tell you to use an active module a certain amount of times but don’t explain how to use it more effectively.

The contacts should be scrapped altogether. You will still get rewards but I will explain how to get them further in the post.

The first three gameplay tutorials are not accurate but that is the least of the problems. They miss information like about the all-important status bar at the top, below the scores. That alone will greatly increase the effectiveness of new players.

The GUI gives information that is not needed to players at that time

and increases confusion. It sets an almost impassable mountain in front of the beginner. It’s like receiving piles and piles of homework and textbooks. You know it will help you eventually but right now you don’t feel like doing it. In the situation of videogames if the player doesn’t feel like player a game he or she doesn’t have to play that game unlike homework where you will suffer consequences.

So how can the developers fix the above mentioned problems?

Create an accurate and engaging series of gameplay tutorials which will be given to the player when needed. They will include all the information you need but in a nonintimidating way. Upon completion of each tutorial you will receive a reward related to what the tutorial was about. These will not be able to be skipped but will be fun enough that players will not want to skip them.

For example: A new player starts the game. He is given a choice between the three fighters. Each fighter has an extremely brief description about the gameplay use of the ship.

/The gunship can do immense amounts of damage but it is weak/The tackler is used to make enemy ships easier to destroy/The command is a durable ship that can help teammates/

After choosing the ship, the player is immediately launched into the game. Voiceovers explain movement controls with text available. Voiceovers do the same thing with the use status bar and outlines where it would be.

From there they will be entered into a gameplay tutorial according to which ship they chose. It will explain the uses of the basic modules and why they are useful. The player fights an AI with the same ship and sees how fighting against his own ship will be like. He learns from the example of the AI.

After completing the tutorial the player will be allowed to play PvP but only with the ship he has completed the tutorial on.

The player is not allowed to progress to tier 2 until all other roles have been taught. This way the player will know all the symbols on the status bar. He won’t be confused to why he can’t fight when an ECM is attacking.

//

Most GUI features should be hidden and would be continually shown as the player progresses. This gives players new information without bombardment.

Honestly, yeah. Better tutorials have been needed for a good long time. Here’s my idea:

Upon first launch of the game, when getting into the hangar, there ought to be a huge popup asking “Would you like to see the tutorial?” Which starts explaining all the various aspects of the hangar UI that are unlocked at first launch, part by part. Like what the hell a tier is. And how contracts work. Later elements can be explained later. If skipped, it ought to just say something like “If you ever need to see the tutorial again, just click under the help tab here!” Just as it should upon finishing the tutorial. Then bam. Another tutorial popup comes up. Which takes the player to the flight basics/combat basics tutorial. With an actual ship, not an empire gunship with one minute long/3 second cooldown chameleon and four RFB turrets. I remember being okay with the text explanations back when I played the tutorial, but other people might not be. Skipping it does much the same as the last one. And bam, back to the hangar. The new player is now just like every other player ever.

And to the subject of buying ships. Every time a ship of a class that the player hasn’t used before is bought, a prompt ought to come up for the class tutorial. Skipping it does much the same as it does for the ones in the beginning of the game. Every class tutorial ought to be split up into different parts that can be accessed part by part in the help page, or combined into a general tutorial. The first part ought to be the general stats and bonuses of the class, and what the ramifications are. Second part ought to be what all the class modules do, when they’re unlocked, and what tier ships they can be fit onto. This might just need to be split up into different parts for each module. Third part ought to be the class’s usual role in battle.

After finishing all these tutorials, some people might forget information. This ought to be entirely on the help tab in the hangar. One page for the hangar UI explanations, which does much the same. One page for flight and combat basics. And one page for each ship which condenses the tutorial into text form and offers the ability to replay the tutorial.

And of course, on the bottom of the help tab, there ought to be a link to the forums. Because we’re totally helpful people here, right? Right?

I found a problem with tutorials. Is not a big one, and it is most a player fault than the game, but still.

Yesterday I was watching a youtube review of the game. It was a really recent review, like 5 days ago, from a game website. Not a big one, but so far they already had over 1000 views.

The guy played the tutorial offscreen, and then picked Jerry side. He went to battle in the Axe and said “look! as I did in the tutorial, I’m going to cloak!”

And of course he didn’t, because he was flying a command, not a tackler :smiley:

He didn’t noticed, because, well, he didn’t noticed a lot of things, like the first time everyone played this or any other game.

But even then…

Yes, the tutorial is missing a lot of information (eg, the all impoprtant prediction marker and the vital ship role system) which could help the players a lot. If the tutorial explained more than just how to pilot the ship then T1 would  a lot more competitive and require more skill yet the basic combat procedures are ignored int the tutorials (I learnt how to fly thanks to the ‘practice’ mode which I do believe was hosted client side hence why you got no lag inside of it, but was taught how to manage combat by wolfkhan) and this was made obvious to me when I went back to basics and returned to T1 and wasn’t even hit half the time by fighters or intercepters.

i like your idea!

tutorials from players would be cool :001j:

players understand players much better. 

Yep, now it’s time for everyone to just +1 everything to give the devs the idea!

Admin or GM please forward this to te developers before they waste time and resources making an even lamer tutorial that helps no one.

Every ship class needs it’s own individual tutorial, plain and simple. Along with each game mode.

Because even I pulsed Engineer heals because nowhere was I told how they worked I had to figure it on my own.

the tutorials will be updated if the content is stable

Every ship class needs it’s own individual tutorial, plain and simple. Along with each game mode.

Because even I pulsed Engineer heals because nowhere was I told how they worked I had to figure it on my own.

That is a bloody brilliant idea!

the tutorials will be updated if the content is stable

“If…”

What?  Imo, the tutorials will allow you a better idea as to what is stable and what is not, since all of the engineers/other aura ships in low tiers (and god forbid, higher tiers) will know to leave their modules on.  Invest in better tutorials so that you have more pilots who understand the game and stay.  I find these leaderboards to show just how many players quit after feeling frustrated.

So out the 1,109,904 players who have at least played one battle, only 937,491 have actually destroyed a ship–meaning that 172,413 (or 15.5% of the player base) have not.

Additionally, there are 201,158 (18.1%) who never even played a second battle.

What.  The.  Hell?

B3FL9lQ.png

xq78DqD.png

UtCi5Cr.png

f1VcHti.png

I find these leaderboards to show just how many players quit after feeling frustrated.

When I first tried SC. I also almost quit after the first day, decrying the game as a waste of time. At the time, I had no clue what I was doing with my ships. I had no clue how to take on an EM Cloaked ELRF. I was just tossed in and had to figure out everything on my own. Even the Wiki is woefully inadequate.

You have no clue how frustrating it is to try and fight a ERLF when you have no knowledge of the game.

So out the 1,109,904 players who have at least played one battle, only 937,491 have actually destroyed a ship–meaning that 172,413 (or 15.5% of the player base) have not.

Additionally, there are 201,158 (18.1%) who never even played a second battle.

What.  The.  Hell?

I don’t see anything wrong there. Some people join, don’t like the game and don’t bother playing again. It happens everywhere all the time.

I don’t see anything wrong there. Some people join, don’t like the game and don’t bother playing again. It happens everywhere all the time.

Still, it is a high percentage…more so than one should expect from a game like this, where a rather specific target market is reached…