At the moment it feels like mine fields are a little too strong given their ease of use. Their use for denying/defending points is important however they seem to trump every other weapon for close combat, leave very little time for reaction and I have yet to see any counters to them (I am at T2 so I have not seen if there are any at T3). I am also often killed right on the edge of a mine field when I think I am outside of the field due to the lack of red dots there. So bellow I will list a few ideas for improving minefields and their mechanics:
- Either increase the number of red dots indicating the mine field near its edges or reduce the size of the trigger zone of mine fields so that it co-insides better with visible graphics for it.
- Upgrade either ‘Missile shield’ or ‘Pulsar’ Guard modules to clear mine fields.
- Add unguided missiles with reduced damage (similar to slowing missile damage) to Guard class ships that are able to clear minefields. You could even make these double as an AOE class of missile for damaging groups of ships.
- Mine fields that are destroyed by a Guard ship’s modules or unguided mine clearing missiles- damage any enemy ship in the mine field for a certain amount of the damage that the field would normally deal if it had a opposing ship flying through it.
- This could even be used as a team combo tactic; Drop a mine field on an enemy frigate then have a friendly Guard ship detonate the a friendly field with a mine clearing missile causing the field to do much more damage than if the enemy frigate had just flown out of it.
- Add a short activation time for the fields after their deployment and add a mine field deployment warning when an enemy ship is dropping mines in close proximity to you e.g. you only receive a warning if your ship is within 2000m of an enemy deploying a field.
- You could have mines a different colour when initially deployed vs when they are active .e.g. When they are first deployed (inactive) it could show yellow dots in the field and then the dots switch to red as soon as it becomes active. Also using green or blue dots for friendly fields would be nice.