Guard Revamp

Here are some ideas regarding one of the least useful ship classes in the game: the guard frigate.

1. remove the -30pts. shield resist malus AND the newly added 10pts. buff.

2. revamp of the active module/alternative to the current one: I suggest something like the thing that we see in the game’s initial trailer: a module, which drasticly improves the frontal shield of the ship, while also improving the damage output. (To prevent getting insta killed as soon as a dessie/gunship shows up):

Bartle’s Fist:

Special Module of the guard frigate, improves the resists of the frontal section of the shield by 250 pts. for 8 sec., increases main weapon damage by 10% for every enemy ship shooting you. 17 sec. cooldown.

(Design idea: the frontal section of the shield could turn red, not unlike the kinetic resist mode on the current phase shield.)

1. increase the range of all the guard debuffs to about 3100m, maybe even more. The Pulsar should have a max range of about 2500m.

2. make the pulsating shield (palom’s special passive) aviable for all guard frigats. (Because of the lack of a shield mod, that buffs all shield resists without moving and the awesomeness of a permanent, tiny pulsar.)

3. change the mechanic of the anomaly generator. It is very hard/impossible to use this weapon while manouvering. I suggest the following change: The anomaly generator should work like our beloved gravitational lens. You aim, shoot and that area you aimed at is going to explode. Period. The weapon should not cancel if the ship moves.

4. ecm stuns should disable your modules for the set amount of time, but NOT stop them. For example: guard activates the emergency shield booster, ecm stuns for 3 sec., the shield booster will continue to heal the guard after 3 sec. (An ecm can render a guard pretty much useless atm)

5. give the destructor laser a slightly higher range and drasticly improve the energy drain rate. The gun should have at least a little bit of an edge compared to the beam cannon. I imagine it as a gun, that disables the use of active modules of destroyers or the diffusion shield on a command ship. This way, a guard could actually guard a team from things like photon torps, black holes and other active modules. (The gun looks too cool to not make it useful)

6. (not sure about this one, just came in mind): guard frigates could recieve a damage buff against destroyers. Reason behind that being, that a guard can not run from a dessie and should at least be able to deal some significant damage to the dessie before it inevitably goes down.

There you have it. Comment on what you like and/or dislike. ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”)

hahah I basically did the same without the details just a few days ago, happy to see i’m not the only Huan. ![:D](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/006j.png “:D”)

1. ~ maybe it is intended to let the old modules be less powerful than the new Ellydium modules for a while?

3)+/-

4)+

6)+/-

1. +/-

P.S.: Do not forget the [Engineer frigates](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/32075-low-engineer-count/#comment-389675), please!

Yes to everything. Completely. The only reason that I don’t play guard any more is because they made them entirely useless, aside for taking down missiles in a small radius.

And yes, engi could use some serious buffs as well.

Yeh sure buff those damn engineers.

I don’t know how one ship class can be so OP and so useless at the same time… Ever tryed to take on a Jericho sniper in an inti while a engi was around - not a chance… that eclipse launcher heals more hull than you can deal damage AND it’s area effect killes you while healing the lrf (pls remove this AOE effect) but on the other hand federation engineers need a serious survivability buff.

And when we are talking about buffs…

Don’t you think it’s ridiculous that a Gunship, the major damage dealer in this game has still less DPS than a Frig?! Well, I do. (Excluding our Ellydium baby - we have enough discussions ongoing about it)

When I run across a guard in pvp with slowing mod and missile shield and I’m using an inty then its a big problem. Going into enemy territory then is very dangerous because getting out fast is no longer optional. Trying to take out the guard fast enough to be able to then get out is also not optional if using pulsar not to mention its got lots of shield and hull. Not impossible but not practical either.

Those guards can make it very tough for inty’s if used right. Just my experience…

23 minutes ago, xXConflictionXx said:

When I run across a guard in pvp with slowing mod and missile shield and I’m using an inty then its a big problem. Going into enemy territory then is very dangerous because getting out fast is no longer optional. Trying to take out the guard fast enough to be able to then get out is also not optional if using pulsar not to mention its got lots of shield and hull. Not impossible but not practical either.

Those guards can make it very tough for inty’s if used right. Just my experience…

Agreed, therefore they need to be the first line of defense in many ways.

Or have you ever tryed “Energy converter”? It is actually pretty neat on guards.

Just go in take Fire and activate it. Normally enemys will not stop shooting you because of this, and that beam will grow so hot from all that damage your shield takes, it will melt a styx in a few secs.

Also very great in x3 mode; triple kills after activating it are not rare.

7 hours ago, GeMichi said:

I don’t know how one ship class can be so OP and so useless at the same time… Ever tryed to take on a Jericho sniper in an inti while a engi was around - not a chance… that eclipse launcher heals more hull than you can deal damage AND it’s area effect killes you while healing the lrf (pls remove this AOE effect) but on the other hand federation engineers need a serious survivability buff.

And when we are talking about buffs…

Don’t you think it’s ridiculous that a Gunship, the major damage dealer in this game has still less DPS than a Frig?! Well, I do. (Excluding our Ellydium baby - we have enough discussions ongoing about it)

Thats for Engineers in reach of a sniper long range frigate… today player ofter scatter over areas and I use the fast engi to haste here and haste there and haste back again…

Interceptors can take out Engis and Guards easily -provided they fly/position alone.

The gunships as major damage dealers … true but in relation to their size, agility and speed.  Frigates are supposed to deal more damage because of their bigger size. They are expected to tank more - but are less agile and magnets to cross fire.