Fix the wobble!

We analyzed your data and we think that reason of your problems is bad network connection

I’m sorry but this is utter tosh. The problem is easily repeatable. Take a ship with 200 Pitch into a high ping game you get wobble, take a ship with less than 160 pitch into a similar ping game and the wobble is drastically reduced. The problem is directly linked to pitch and ping. Go try this for yourselves, but make sure you test it on a high ping server :wink:

Try to select US servers as preferred in the game options

Lol! Server selection means nothing in this game. The MM decides which server you go on.

Sorry, but reason of your problems in the your internet connection. We can’t help there.

This problem affects everyone!!

Sorry, but reason of your problems in the your internet connection. We can’t help there.

qVMQK2G.jpg

Cool story bro.

Aim assist all lets me snipe and use projectile weapons. But you do need to aim in the marker or it gets crap. Also, even being on South Asia server with 163 (best server) ping is noticeable difference compared to Europe Russia.

Aim assist all lets me snipe and use projectile weapons. But you do need to aim in the marker or it gets crap. Also, even being on South Asia server with 163 (best server) ping is noticeable difference compared to Europe Russia.

As you know (unlike many others), you cant make slight corrections to the lead marker (lead a little ahead or into the sides), wich is extremately necessary when you miss 100% shots on a dodging target when you correctly aim into lead marker.

What causes this, (and doctor evil may have already said this, but his post was waaaay too long,) is that when you have bad ping/connection, your ship will turn past the aiming crosshairs, and when the server sees that it has passed it, it will try to automatically correct your ships rotation to point to the crosshairs. The problem is that the automatic correction will “miss” the crosshairs due to ping/connection, and try to move back to it, over and over and over again, because it can’t center your ship on it. A simple fix would be to let the client send rotation info, instead of the server. This would also make servers a tad bit faster due to not having to process as much information at once. From what I get, when this error occurs, (due to ping or connectivity issues,) it puts a strain on the server and only makes things worse.

*someone comes in and destroys my correction idea because they say it would lead to hacking*

Not only are this games files packed neatly away in inaccessible container folders, (.pak,) but this would only change rotation speed, which really only would make a difference for frigates/other slow turning ships. Yes, this could lead to its own issues, but the probability of someone actually being able to hack in to the game and change their rotation mechanics is so improbable that we could easily do away with any hackers using the in/game reporting system and be good for a long while until the next hacker comes along, just to get banned.

What causes this, (and doctor evil may have already said this, but his post was waaaay too long,) is that when you have bad ping/connection, your ship will turn past the aiming crosshairs, and when the server sees that it has passed it, it will try to automatically correct your ships rotation to point to the crosshairs. The problem is that the automatic correction will “miss” the crosshairs due to ping/connection, and try to move back to it, over and over and over again, because it can’t center your ship on it. A simple fix would be to let the client send rotation info, instead of the server. This would also make servers a tad bit faster due to not having to process as much information at once. From what I get, when this error occurs, (due to ping or connectivity issues,) it puts a strain on the server and only makes things worse.

*someone comes in and destroys my correction idea because they say it would lead to hacking*

Not only are this games files packed neatly away in inaccessible container folders, (.pak,) but this would only change rotation speed, which really only would make a difference for frigates/other slow turning ships. Yes, this could lead to its own issues, but the probability of someone actually being able to hack in to the game and change their rotation mechanics is so improbable that we could easily do away with any hackers using the in/game reporting system and be good for a long while until the next hacker comes along, just to get banned.

Yes! as we proposed long ago: that rotation compensation only managed through client!! that would definately allow a lot more players to actually start playing interceptors and also allowing high pitch rate turn builds (i would be equipping verniers into interceptors for the first time). It would still mess up aiming (since the delayed movement) but not in such ridiculous way…its a nice improvement if its implemented.

Hey look, Fox has some good ideas sometimes.

Anyhow, so long as the aiming assistance isn’t done client-side, hacking wouldn’t be a serious problem. It’d be pretty obvious if a frigate turned as fast as an interceptor that something was going on, and besides, wouldn’t be particularly helpful to the hacker.

I wont address the issue of the cause of the wobble since I dont experience it personally,

But I did want to pass on a tip that may help stop it until the cause is known and resolved.

I have LOOK BACK mapped to my BackSpace key in KEY BINDS.

One nice think about it is when you look backwards then release the key, the ship will self center and the mouse is at screen center.

Ive used the process in battle to relocate the cursor from screen edges to the center with just a tap of the key instead of wasting time in motion trying to center.

The LOOK BACK key bind you have mapped may help stop the ship from wobble. 

I wont address the issue of the cause of the wobble since I dont experience it personally,

But I did want to pass on a tip that may help stop it until the cause is known and resolved.

I have LOOK BACK mapped to my BackSpace key in KEY BINDS.

One nice think about it is when you look backwards then release the key, the ship will self center and the mouse is at screen center.

Ive used the process in battle to relocate the cursor from screen edges to the center with just a tap of the key instead of wasting time in motion trying to center.

The LOOK BACK key bind you have mapped may help stop the ship from wobble. 

Yes, you have many ways to do the same: free look, free aim, open chat, (another idea xD). But none of those is usefull when you are in need of them and lack time: spinning over a ship (doing so will make you loose target for sure and make you easier to get hit (like stunned), without fixing much), doing a desperate microjump (using any of those methods will stop wobble but wont align the ship where you want it), using plasma arc, shooting a ship, etc. This is a fast paced game, and time is really important. Its a good intention, but not very helpfull unfortunately :frowning:

Yes, you have many ways to do the same: free look, free aim, open chat, (another idea xD). But none of those is usefull when you are in need of them and lack time: spinning over a ship (doing so will make you loose target for sure and make you easier to get hit (like stunned), without fixing much), doing a desperate microjump (using any of those methods will stop wobble but wont align the ship where you want it), using plasma arc, shooting a ship, etc. This is a fast paced game, and time is really important. Its a good intention, but not very helpfull unfortunately :frowning:

Don’t forget that doing any of those points your ship in a random direction – generally one that’s between 60 and 90 degrees off from the one you want.

I am somewhat undecided on this topic.

The wobbling issue is definetly out of hand and should be fixed. But i am not sure that doing rotation calculations on the client side is the best solution. Surely it would improve the situation for people with bad ping, but it would also increase the likeliness that very effective cheats and hacks can be developed.

Some people will believe that hackers are only interested in games with lots of players, but that is not true. Any F2P game is a prime target for hackers. I would advice against making this game vulnerable to hacks.

However it should be possible to fix the wobble issue on the serverside. Alleviating the other issues caused by high delay is sadly a more difficult topic and there is probably no perfect solution for it.