Fix missiles

Edit: I understand cartridges reload in like 3 minutes or whatever. But what I say below still goes. There is no “to shoot or not to shoot?” There is no risk/reward. As even if you screw up, just wait a bit, and you’ll get another chance… So remove the 5 second reload to 3 minute reload. However my complaints are still completely valid.

I don’t even need to play to know that the making unlimited missiles will destroy this game for many people.

I feel like I’m one of the few left in the world who understands the concept of choices, and the skill and knowledge that goes behind making a good and bad decision when faced with a limited set of something. Gone are the days where anything difficult will be in life?

Let me explain.

It used to be, that missiles were limited. This caused many balances in the game.

1. No missile spams up the yazoo.

1. forced players to make a decision. Shoot or not to shoot? Thats the question

1. Kept the game balanced in the fundemental basic concept that you won’t have a continious stream of missiles coming at you over… and over… and over… and over… and over… and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…and over… and over… and over… and over…

Oh yea, see it gets really annoying doesn’t it? (FYI I put that many as a double meaning… hate seeing it don’t you? yea, I hate hearing the missile warning non stop forever throughout the entire game as well…)

All that’s out the window now though.

WIth unlimited missiles you’ve destroyed the balanced, and fun of the game. It’s not fun to get streams of missiles coming at you repeatedly everytime you stick your nose out from behind a rock.

its not fun, at all. Its hard enough dodging 2-3 people shooting at you with 1 or 2 missiles coming at you. Trying to dodge 5 -6 missiles that are coming at you forever because 2-3 seconds later they are just gonna shoot another  is ridiculous.

Get rid of the unlimited missiles, its unbalanced, broken, and ridiculous on so many levels.

Battles in the past used to rely on skill, and decision making. This is why I loved Star Conflict. Skills and decision making on where to go, and when and when not to use certain modules, such as missiles, which are limited.

Star Conflict is going to the dogs to get torn apart to a useless mash of fail, and its starting with the missiles. By merely adding unlimted missiles, your removing much of the skill required in fights. Your removing much of the decision making purely from that.

Why you may ask?

Its simple. Because fights are no longer going to be relied on skill, its going to be relied on who has the most menouverable ship, and who has the fastest spamming missiles. Nothing more, nothing less.

Skill will be nullified because there are going to be so many missiles flying everywhere nobody will have a chance to do anything.

Skill will be nullified because a legit dog fight is now over in seconds, where good dodging, and thoughtfull use of modules would be able to get you out, or win when you probably should of lost. But that no longer matters. Spam missiles…

As my finisher I’ll give an example.

As my ship (forget the name atm, excuse me) which puts my ship in stasis for a few seconds, and invulnerable. Then explodes and for a few seconds stuns all the enemies around me.

Now before if used right, and with some skill in dodging, I could get away. The problem is, is I’m starting from a stand still. While my ship is fast, its not THAT fast, and they can still chase, it gives me just enough time to get a medium range between me and them, but they can still kill me if they really want, or if they prove to be a better shot than my dodging. They also have a choice, use a missile or not? They are lmiited, but I’m hurt, low on armor and shields, is it worth it? skill required game-play…

Now with the missiles? I come out of stasis, stun, and attempt to flee. I’m now getting shot at by 5 missiles continiously. As well as their main weapons. I’ve just blown my special to get away, which was utterly useless due to the fact, oh hey, 5 MORE missiles. 3 seconds later, 5 more! Get it? No skill required, just chase until the runner screws up and gets hit… Nothing more… Its ridiculous.

Situation #2

Your in a frigate, and an interceptor micro warps behind you, or one stealths up behind you. This is a very bad situation for a frigate, but its winnable. Its Winnable due to the fact of the limited missiles. They can’t spam all their volley’s of missiles into your rear. They have to spend time eating through your shields and armor.

Depending on your frigate you may be able to turn to shoot just enough, for the slower ones, perhaps you have mines to pop out, or another form of AOE.

If not, your at the mercy of him until teammates arrive, which honestly can and has happend many times where he gets me to 50% hull and teammates come and save me.

With unlimited missiles? He does that… but I’m dead LONG before teammates can show up… and he doesn’t have to worry cuz guess what? 3 minutes later his missiles are back!. Or if he dies… Guess what? he can do it again!. Sneak up behind my new frigate, jam 5-6 missiles up my rear, die, and do it again…

Wou Wou Wou, Calm the xxxx down.

Let’s give it a chance. I’ve had a similar discussion with the ‘powers to be’ who have assured us that things will be closely monitored. If it ends up not working, further tweaks and/or a revert to the old system will occur.

Let’s at least TRY this before passing too much judgement. I’m not a huge fan either, but there are a lot of things we can do to prevent missile spam. And hey - now you have more reason to fit flares.

Let’s give it a chance. I’ve had a similar discussion with the ‘powers to be’ who have assured us that things will be closely monitored. If it ends up not working, further tweaks and/or a revert to the old system will occur.

Let’s at least TRY this before passing too much judgement. I’m not a huge fan either, but there are a lot of things we can do to prevent missile spam. And hey - now you have more reason to fit flares.

I don’t need to test it. I’ve seen this style of game-play in far to many games, and I’ve seen it destroy any fun those battles had except COD little kids who love to spam stuff. Who wants that?

Who needs to test infinite nuke/suicide and repeat combo ? 

Not a single captain survives anymore there will be no end to this combo.

5 year old can figure how game breaking that would be without testing.

I will not spend any money on a game that favors the newbies by replenishing their ammos over a good pilot that survives longer and put on a disadvantage by running out of missiles, or a game that tries to earn audience by making it less skillbased so a 5 year old can fly as good as a seasoned pilot.

Who needs to test infinite nuke/suicide and repeat combo ? 

Not a single captain survives anymore there will be no end to this combo.

5 year old can figure how game breaking that would be without testing.

I will not spend any money on a game that favors the newbies by replenishing their ammos over a good pilot that survives longer and put on a disadvantage by running out of missiles, or a game that tries to earn audience by making it less skillbased so a 5 year old can fly as good as a seasoned pilot.

Exactly. Doensn’t take someone with half a brain to realize how game breaking these unlimited missile are, even with the 3 minute reload on cartridges. which DOES NOT carry over through death. Upon death you have your shiny new missiles to spam up the yazoo again. So essentially, someone can go in rambo, get a kill due to firing off 5-6 missiles at close range on a frigate, die, and repeat… Its ridiculous

Remember, the beach balls OF DEATH, damn those thing are broken op.

I have yet to see missile spam in a t3. Played a lot of matches already.

I only see beach ballz of death spam, which makes a lonely frigate very weak, against other stuffs like intys or fighters, they can just dodge the ball.

Remember, the beach balls OF DEATH, damn those thing are broken op. I have yet to see missile spam in a t3. Played a lot of matches already. I only see beach ballz of death spam, which makes a lonely frigate very weak, against other stuffs like intys or fighters, they can just dodge the ball.

I’m noticing missile spams. The fact you can suicide on arcade mode and get your ammo refilled…

I’m noticing missile spams. The fact you can suicide on arcade mode and get your ammo refilled…

In which tier? In recon matches what kills the capt is the beach ball right now. A Guard or 2 will remove most missiles, not avery one, but enough to keep the capt alive until the missile spammer is dead.

Bach ballz of death however…

In which tier?

Every tier, because I sure as hell am using up all my missiles every life. I know others are too. I’ve already used this broken mechanic to take many kills I wouldnt of been able to otherwise.

few games back covert ops behind a frigate, slam 10 missiles up his rear, nothin ghe could do. Since I could do that before he got back up he had absolutely no way to stop me, couldn’t even tank through it until help arrived. Of course I died, but guess what happend? Got all my missiles back and did it again. Killed the poor guy 6-7 times in a row with that cheap trick, never having to worry about it…

Its broken and dumb.

No. Flares and Missile Shield are useless. Very rarely will they be effective against the insistent spam we’re now seeing.

Yeah, you’d need a constant missile shield to deal with it.  The only catch with suicide is it can give the enemy a kill, but if you’re in it to win the match, suicide!  Then you’re back at A game.

LadyAthen is on the money with this. I’ve looked it over, I’ve dropped in game to give it a go…

I’d like to say I’m somewhat heartened by the fact that people like EvilTactician have an eye on this as well, so hopefully it will get fixed quickly.

That said, some words for what debate there is…

I for one am surprised as can be that something so similar to the old nuke issue is being put forth as an advancement. To be specific the intentional proliferation of guided or wide area of effect munitions has never been the source of an overall increase of enjoyment for people that enjoy skill based accomplishments, of any kind. When nukes were made prolific with no friendly fire, the very same day began the insanity, followed by general outrage at such an “oversight”. The problem was they allowed those with the least amount of skill to have a maximum of impact. This is essentially the problem we now have with the missile change. To be specific the issue is NOT missile racks that respawn. It is the fact that a skilled player that successfully fights for survival is penalized with a lengthy cooldown, while their opponents simply respawn with yet another full rack of guided high explosive toys.

In that situation the player that lost is perceived to have been rewarded, while the player that survived the encounter is penalized in effect. One solution to this could be to make the resupply timer persistent even through death. Essentially giving respawnable missiles to both the player that uses skill and thought when applying them, as well as the chap that decides to blow his proverbial wad straight out of the gate.

Personally I would like to see a system that respawns missiles over time. Thereby rewarding thoughtful use, and increasing the sought after “intensity” via reasonable access. While still penalizing the spray a pray player, or forcing the player that had to pop them all to wait for more. Worth noting that with them given over time, it would discourage players from blowing the whole missile rack as they will only get one at a time, over a period of time, instead of a full load all once. This would make missiles prevalent through out a conflict without rewarding impatience or poor judgement.

I for one miss the added level of strategy that came with having a finite load of missiles. Dependent on the game mode of course, it was rather wise and took skill to hold onto your missiles till the end of a match. There was some satisfying skill in being observant of when your opponent has run dry, or knowing that he still had some extra punch. It made for a fun sort of meta in trying to pull their missiles early while keeping yours, or adding intensity by knowing that if your team blitzes all out at the start that you’ll then be at the disadvantage. As it stands currently, to maximize firepower, one need only charge forth spewing every missile you have, die, rinse, and repeat.

After last night flying t3, i have not seen a single game where wouldbe an abusive missile spam or nuke spam, usage got higher, yes but not so much, maybe because there aren’t as much deaths as in t2 and repair costs are higher

On other hand look at this missile replenish mechanic is a chance to come back: How many time have you been steamrolled by premade in T3? Especially during frig balls when everyone on your team is obliterated and respawning while entire enemy team is safe and sound. Now you respawn with refilled missiles and your enemies do not have as much, so in a sense it gives you a chance to get back on even ground by some extra punch you have. In a same time if you enemy is that strong even that extra punch won’t help you anyways so it doesn’t give you any clear advantages.

Keep in mind that you can not rush in spamm all ammo die, cleans and repeat for the whole game - Death penalty (increased respawn timer) is still in place and there are those people that still keep an eye on they own rating so they won’t suicide for no reasons.

At the end, do not forget that missile types were reassigned to different ship classes as well, now there are no mines everywhere, there are no octopuses flying all over the place (they got nerfed as well) CovOps with nukes can NOT use anything else, all of those small things, keep them in mind.

After last night flying t3, i have not seen a single game where wouldbe an abusive missile spam or nuke spam, usage got higher, yes but not so much, maybe because there aren’t as much deaths as in t2 and repair costs are higher

On other hand look at this missile replenish mechanic is a chance to come back: How many time have you been steamrolled by premade in T3? Especially during frig balls when everyone on your team is obliterated and respawning while entire enemy team is safe and sound. Now you respawn with refilled missiles and your enemies do not have as much, so in a sense it gives you a chance to get back on even ground by some extra punch you have. In a same time if you enemy is that strong even that extra punch won’t help you anyways so it doesn’t give you any clear advantages.

Keep in mind that you can not rush in spamm all ammo die, cleans and repeat for the whole game - Death penalty (increased respawn timer) is still in place and there are those people that still keep an eye on they own rating so they won’t suicide for no reasons.

At the end, do not forget that missile types were reassigned to different ship classes as well, now there are no mines everywhere, there are no octopuses flying all over the place (they got nerfed as well) CovOps with nukes can NOT use anything else, all of those small things, keep them in mind.

Regardless, the fact they do respawn after death is still favoring that who lost the fight. Just like you said, now the other player is lower on missiles, not you. Giving you who lost, the upper hand… That’s favoring the unskilled, or a player who is worse. Instead of making him want to get better, and learning how to get better, whats it matter? everything got replenished.

That being said, the fact they do replenish, makes players use them much less sparingly than before. While my initial post is a little overboard, I agree, as I didn’t realize it would have that timer, its still legit.

• There is no risk/reward, as you get the missiles back. Doesn’t matter how you want to spin the bottle on that topic.

• It still favors that who lost. punishing good players for surviving. Doesn’t matter again how you try to spin that. It is what it is.

I will however agree, that in realism mode where you only get 1 life per ship. That its basically how it was before, as you normally ever get to shoot 1 clip before you eventually die, and have to pilot a new ship anyway. Therefore you don’t get to abuse the replenished ammo upon respawn.