Disconnected Player Becomes a Bot

We all know that disconnected players can turn the tide of a battle.  We’ve seen too many games where a number of players disconnect, and the outcome of the battle is heavily swayed.   What if a disconnected player becomes a bot?  This would be useful for a lot of reasons, which I’m sure are rather obvious.

1. Disconnected players still may not use the ships until the round is over.

2. Bots immediately assume ship control, whatever the status and position of the ship (if any) is.

3. Synergy is gained the same way, but Skill Rating, and all stats affected by a PVP kill, remain the same.

4. Bots should assume the difficulty of the tier that they represent.  Ex. There would not be a hard bot in a T1 game, and there would not be “easy” bots in T5 games.

5. Bots are assigned the same implants that the disconnected player had.

These are just some ideas I had.  Thoughts?

How are captains handled?

How are captains handled?

Perhaps it could be instead granted to the player at the next skill rating.  If they’re out of position, it could cause issues, but it’s just a thought.  Also, the former captain would become a bot with a higher difficulty.

No, if you had a game with over 10 players and one player became a bot. the bot instantly attacks enemies and does only stay with teammates if its en engineering, otherwise it does random attacks flying into enemy. it just becomes farming. 

So, a team has a bot, but the other one doesn’t?

This would also disable the ability to rejoin. Not all players disconnect on purpose. Often enough, players rejoin the battle after an accidental disconnect. Esxpecially when the servers are under heavy load, disconnects from battles happen more often. Then the players try to reconnect in most cases. It wouldn’t be fair to replace them by bots.

when the servers are under heavy load,

Which means all the time, now. In every battle I’ve been in, recently, there’s been at least 1 person disconnecting. I don’t want to see bots on every match, I’d like that to be avoided as much as possible.

There are already insane amounts of lag on the Hangar whenever there are more than 2k pilots online and no improvements being made on that front. Considering the Hangar is the FIRST thing new pilots see, they will be turned down by the amount of time it takes to buy a piece of equipment, equip it and fly out with it, only to be frustrated because there are T2 pilots in the mix.

I guess the AI is only written for some specific setups, it won’t be able to handle the diverse builds people use.

We all know that disconnected players can turn the tide of a battle.  We’ve seen too many games where a number of players disconnect, and the outcome of the battle is heavily swayed.   What if a disconnected player becomes a bot?  This would be useful for a lot of reasons, which I’m sure are rather obvious.

1. Disconnected players still may not use the ships until the round is over.

2. Bots immediately assume ship control, whatever the status and position of the ship (if any) is.

3. Synergy is gained the same way, but Skill Rating, and all stats affected by a PVP kill, remain the same.

4. Bots should assume the difficulty of the tier that they represent.  Ex. There would not be a hard bot in a T1 game, and there would not be “easy” bots in T5 games.

5. Bots are assigned the same implants that the disconnected player had.

These are just some ideas I had.  Thoughts?

I think this is a good idea. Better to have a bot than be a man down; in most cases I’ve seen the player who disconnected never came back.

EDIT: Another option is to allow (any) players to join a match mid-game like in other games. Then you don’t have to worry about filling in the spot with a bot.

I’ll agree, it does have its advantages and disadvantages.  As to the point about a player not being able to reconnect, the player should just resume control of the ship where the bot left off.  I know that I’m often floating in space far away from battle or getting destroyed.  A bot would just insure that all ships are accounted for.

And I, too, would prefer to not see bots in every battle.  But I really do think it’s a better alternative to just keeping a disconnected player’s ships completely useless.  If a full squad disconnects at the beginning of a 8 v 8 round of Beacon Capture (realistic), then that puts their team at quite the disadvantage.

It’s not a perfect suggestion, but I think it could be developed into a nice feature for the future.