Developer blog from October 15th: New formula for skill rating

d922586e7de756b6e3e528d3f7bb.jpg

Pilots!

Soon, the standard formula for skill rating calculation will change completely.

Current rating is an assessment of a pilot’s personal skill in fighting other players.

Unfortunately, this rating has a number of problems:

• Pilots of senior technological levels easily ‘farmed’ it on players of significantly lower levels

• Rating changes only at the moment of destroying a ship and is credited to the player who delivered the final blow. This situation created multiple problems with ‘stealing’ ship kills.

• It includes only destroyed ships, i.e. it does not display the total contribution of the pilot in combat. For example, you can be a very good interceptor pilot, but since you’re destroyed more often than other ship classes, your skill rating will be lower.

The rating available now (of course, in the absence of cheating) evaluates the player as a professional mercenary, but is not suitable as a competitive rating in team battles, which our game is designed around.

So, the following will be considered in the new skill rating calculations:

1. Your efficiency relative to maximum efficiency in the team. If you are about average compared to your team, or even at the top — that’s a plus, since it increases the coefficient during rating calculation.

2. The number of deaths in combat. The less you are taken down in the fight, the higher the rating grows. Try not to die!

3. Team’s victory or loss. If you see that the team is losing, you need to earn as much personal effectiveness to break from the average value of the team and then rating loss will be negligible.

The rating is calculated at the end of the battle.

Its change depends on the current skill value: if you played better, the rating will start to grow, if worse — it will degrade. Rating change is not as dramatic as it is now, but rather smooth and depends on how consistently you maintain your game performance.

The maximum value of the skill rating is 10 000. The highest difficulty of the game and the most strict assessment of the pilot’s personal ability are manifested at higher ranks, which, of course, is taken into account in the formula. Beginning with the first through ninth ranks, the maximum ‘ceiling’ of their rating increases. Players of lower levels can get high skill values, but to get into the list of elite pilots they need to confirm their ability in the toughest battles on the strongest ships.

Follow the news with the official Facebook community!

1. Team’s victory or loss. If you see that the team is losing, you need to earn as much personal effectiveness to break from the average value of the team and then rating loss will be negligible.

I already see a problem with this, because pilots may just throw the match in order to farm kills, which is what “top pilots” do, anyway. Even I admit to just ignoring Bombs or Beacons in order to farm a handful of kills… 3 kills or a Beacon capture, which one is easier for your ship? The answer, for most of us, is very simple: kills.

For that new rating to work, it needs to be objective-focused, not kill-focused, as DSR has always been.

Not only that, the way the MM is set up, if it’s not changed, nothing will change. The high SR pilots will keep on farming the rookies. =/

I do hope this new system will actually make GOOD changes

We can’t complain before testing.

What’s have been said here is far from accurate. We don’t know if players like takamina will have the hard DSR cap (10k), and how much average players will have DSR.

If 10k is the hard cap, for me a good formula would make top players at  7-8k, average at 2-5 and bad at 0-2

The problem isn’t the numbers. I’m sure they will reflect ACTUAL player skill levels, my gripe is how will the MM handle the new system? If the current one is this broken…

The problem isn’t the numbers. I’m sure they will reflect ACTUAL player skill levels, my gripe is how will the MM handle the new system? If the current one is this broken…

Well, if DSR is more accurate, than MM should be more accurate too.

Hahem…

So you are going to remove all the Objectives Bonus/Penalties on all the ships to make the formula fair for all, as well as you are going to put an Efficiency Reward on the Missile Shield to not make this module useless in the new formula?

Ho wait…

Hahem…

So you are going to remove all the Objectives Bonus/Penalties on all the ships to make the formula fair for all, as well as you are going to put an Efficiency Reward on the Missile Shield to not make this module useless in the new formula?

Ho wait…

There ya go. Now you see the issue.

Engineers are likely to suffer from this, as well. They’re not DPS ships, most of their work is support. If they get kills it’s mostly situational…

ECM, same thing (not that anyone cares, currently)…

The problem with this is the LrF.

Spawn camping, not useful for the team in many situations but still earning a lot of kills, efficiency & dies almost never, ultimate SR farm ship, and SR shouldn’t farmable.

The problem with this is the LrF.

Spawn camping, not useful for the team in many situations but still earning a lot of kills, efficiency & dies almost never, ultimate SR farm ship, and SR shouldn’t farmable.

Except… that’s the role of the LRF. Stay behind the lines and lob Torpedoes to the front lines or the Red Beam of Death. But considering most of them are useless, anyway… I’m not worried.

My biggest concern is just the support roles. Commands would also suffer from that.

Except… that’s the role of the LRF. Stay behind the lines and lob Torpedoes to the front lines or the Red Beam of Death. But considering most of them are useless, anyway… I’m not worried.

My biggest concern is just the support roles. Commands would also suffer from that.

You’ll see a problem, when many players flying more LRF than now just to increase SR, i speak about Disintegrator, not cheap torpedo LRF, but anyway, you’ve to be good with them or you’ll be one of the last players in your team…

Main support players have a little problem because they don’t get many points. 20 points for a buff assist, come on.

Of course you can be the king of the map with a command or an engineer, but that’s rare.

They got buffed last past (Jericho ones) and Imperial ones are still strong as they used to be. You should see how many are brawling in the middle map under diffusion shield then running away when you start to say “Hello” with your weapons to them.

Engineers are likely to suffer from this, as well. They’re not DPS ships, most of their work is support. If they get kills it’s mostly situational…

Imperial Engineers do not agree with you :smiley:

So, what happens in a match where enemies have 5-600 efficiency, my whole team have no more than 200 each and I have 2000+ (bomb run) ?
Or what happens in the same situation, but the enemy have 8-900 each, I have 2000 from 2 bombs and few kills, my team is idling in the respawn screen, so we lose ?

Had way too many of both cases, that’s why I ask.

I am not sure, but I don’t think that the efficiency on the ennemy team matters for your own rating. Only the average efficiency of your own team will be considered. (That’s how I understood it…)

I am not sure, but I don’t think that the efficiency on the ennemy team matters for your own rating. Only the average efficiency of your own team will be considered. (That’s how I understood it…)

That would be logic, why should be the enemy considered as well?

I mean for example: Your team gets hardcore farmed or has no chance to cap a beacon.

Match result.

Your Team First: 1260

Enemy Team First: 4840

You didn’t die & gave the best but you drop a lot of rating anyway. That’s unlogic

If my Stats are dropping because the MM decide to put me with groups of Incompetents, they are going to heard me Yell a lot.

I don’t care if I loose a game while I tried to carry it (If you could see how it’s stupidly hard sometime in T5). (Well, If I did nothing good in a lost game, I can only blame myself xD).

When you see that Half of the T5 players don’t know where is the Cockpit and where are the Reactors on their ships…

I’m pretty sure that Players don’t want to see their Stats linked to their teamates.

I’m pretty sure that Players don’t want to see their Stats linked to their teamates.

Depends on the team mates. If I’m in a squad, hell yes, I do. If I’m soloing, xxxx that noise.

interesting, so dsr will be +/- on how many beacons are captured/bombs planted? etc?

Sit in spawn as LRF, get ten kills on weak players who were no threat to the team, ignore objectives, don’t help teammates, lose the game.

MM: “you’re amazing!”

Go Engineer, heal teammates constantly, play a vital role in every beacon cap (but get no credit because you are ALWAYS taking fire), keep everyone alive, but only get buff assists because you’re too busy focusing on healing and staying alive than going after people. Ensure team victory.

MM: “you suck! You didn’t do anything!”

Will this be fixed?

amazing formula!!  :01111:

Sit in spawn as LRF, get ten kills on weak players who were no threat to the team, ignore objectives, don’t help teammates, lose the game.

MM: “you’re amazing!”

Go Engineer, heal teammates constantly, play a vital role in every beacon cap (but get no credit because you are ALWAYS taking fire), keep everyone alive, but only get buff assists because you’re too busy focusing on healing and staying alive than going after people. Ensure team victory.

MM: “you suck! You didn’t do anything!”

Will this be fixed?

What are you talking about, good engineers are always in top Efficiency scores, and n00bs in LRFs are always at the very bottom even if they snagged some kills. You get efficiency for objectives, just as much or even more - how many time you se recons with zero kills but 5-10 beacon caps having 2x efficiency score of everyone else. Even with kills, in order to have full 150 efficiency granted for a kill you have to do pretty much 100% of dmg alone and do the kill, if someone just Kill Steals, he wont have high efficiency at the end, because that is not how it works and high dmg volumes dealt to enemies (as long as there are kills happening) grant a lot of efficiency. Quite often you get as much or more efficiency only for doing objectives than kills.

Did you even read the blog?

• Win ratio

• Efficiency in regards to your team’s total

• Deaths

• Ship Rank (Game rank?)

Efficiency breaks down to:

• Objectives (Beacon caps, Bombs, Cap kills) - those grants a lot, for example 1 cap = 2xSOLO kills, 1 bomb plant = 6? SOLO kills

• DMG dealt and kills

• Engineers/Commands/Guards/recon(MicroLocator)

There is always a way to abuse a system, any system, but you make it so everyone and their grandmother do that. Stop blowing things out of proportions.