Developer Blog from November 6th: New rank system!

It is no secret that balancing a game - is a process of continuous improvement. Even the balance of chess is still the subject of lively debate over the first-move right of the white pieces. In a large free-to-project such as Star Conflict the balance is also a subject of constant debate among both players and developers. Some balancing solutions are evident from the beginning of development, some occur during the evolution of an already live project. The ranking system we are discussing today is an excellent example of the second case.

96f3ffafc45f59ec91a0d9391aaa.jpg

The transition to the rank system has been on the cards for a long time, we realized that the current system based on technological levels had to be improved. However, we were aware of the importance of this decision and had to make some serious preparations for such a step. Therefore, the process took quite a long time. But now we can finally officially announce that the concept of ‘Rank’ becomes fundamental in the game.

Let’s speak about future changes in detail. Previously, the game had five different technological levels, with each being its own game-within-a-game. Each module was available to certain technological levels, strictly limited by ranks. When switching the technological level the pilots had to start from scratch, upgrading the same equipment, which has already been upgraded on the previous tier. Besides, you immediately had to fight with pilots on well-equipped ships. Some aspects of this situation were not satisfactory so first of all it was necessary to revise all the mechanics of ship equipment, which we did

This resulted in the following changes.

Now all the equipment in the game has individual rank ranges, where it’s available for purchase and upgrades without having to re-do these steps later. Rank ranges vary for each module, but each range is wider than the three-rank limit of a technological level.

Let’s look into the difference between the old and the new system with examples in the tables below

The old system, based on technological levels

21e6778b3189b54e7a01abb2f126.png

Take “Inertial Stabilizer” - the module was available for use in the fourth and fifth technological levels or ranks 10-15. At each of these levels, that is, every three ranks (highlighted in the table with a different colour), we bought and upgraded the module again. It’s worth noting  that despite the possibility of using the module on all ships of the fourth technological level, it only became available for purchase at rank 11.

The new system, based on ranks

74526fbb34c8f405948f0fe69573045a.png

Under the new system this module will be available from rank 11 to rank 15 inclusive. You only need to buy and upgrade it once. The result is a single module, available on 5 ranks, instead of two modules, available on two technological levels (or 6 ranks).

Adaptive Shield used to be available at three technological levels (T3, T4, and T5), yet despite the possibility to use the module on T3 ships, it was only available for purchase at rank 9.

Now the module is available from rank 9 to rank 15. The first module is available at ranks 9-13, and its later version is available at ranks 12-15. The rank of second version is 14. In total, two modules available at seven ranks in place of three modules available at three technological levels.

Secondly, all the ship equipment that deals damage and recovery modules will be changed the following way: equipment of lower ranks will become more efficient, while characteristics of identical equipment used at the higher ranks, remain at the same level.

Thirdly, the changes will affect ship survivability increase. After the introduction of rank system ships will get most of their survivability on the first levels of synergy. Furthermore, the total survivability of most ships has been enhanced. However, survivability of rank 14-15 ships will remain the same.

Due to the above changes, a pilot’s progress in the game becomes smoother. With each level-up pilots feel more at ease, knowing that they do not have to play in uncomfortable conditions. 
It is important that despite having more than two hundred ships in the game, about half of them were perceived by players as stepping stones on the way to maximum-rank ships of each tech level. We decided to remedy this situation and set ourselves a goal to make the player feel confident when flying on any ship in the game.

Taking this and equipment changes into account, we just had to revise the matchmaking system , which we’re going to discuss next.

• Now, only ships of two adjacent ranks can get into battle. In other words, when you take a Rank 2 ship, you can get into battles against ranks 1 and 2, as well as ranks 2 and 3.
  • Balancing will be calculated according to the highest-ranked ship in your combat slots. Generally speaking, if you want to go into battle on ships of ranks 1, 2, and 3, only rank 3 will be taken into account. Nevertheless, you can also still fly the rank 1 ship. So do not be surprised if you encounter a ship much lower in rank than you - someone is giving you a free hit, or is very confident in his skills. In other words, battles between David and Goliath are possible, but only if the player himself wants to take risks.
  • A prerequisite will be the same number of players with the ships of high and low ranks in each team.

As you can see, the changes are rather serious and we are very careful with their implementation. Trying to cope with this without your help would be too bold for any developer. Therefore, we paid special attention to preliminary testing, both internal and public. It’s nice that a lot of players have responded to our call, looked at the rank system and gave us invaluable assistance in many areas. In particular, the above-mentioned damage-dealing equipment mechanic has been seriously reworked after careful analysis of mass testing. We are happy that many experienced players welcomed the innovations, in particular, less time spent on pure grinding, or the ability to use your favorite ships on new ranks. Of course, there was also constructive criticism, which has been as helpful as ever. Thank you for participating in the development of our game!

We are continuing to work on the ranking system, and monitoring your reaction. Pretty soon we are going to introduce even more new cool things, such as the system of automatic tournaments and, of course, the destroyers , but we’ll talk about this another time!
Thank you for your attention!

I have one question. What will be the module transition from all the modules we have installed now? Will all the modules be upgraded to the max rank available in that tier?.

That means, If I have a tier 4 adaptive shield in a rank 10 ship, and a tier 4 adaptive shield in a rank 12 ship, will I have two “rank 15” modules? or will I have one rank 11 and one rank 15 module? Because rank 11 is the top rank where you can use the first iteration of adaptive shields.

And what about all the modules in the warehouse?

I have one question. What will be the module transition from all the modules we have installed now? Will all the modules be upgraded to the max rank available in that tier?.

That means, If I have a tier 4 adaptive shield in a rank 10 ship, and a tier 4 adaptive shield in a rank 12 ship, will I have two “rank 15” modules? or will I have one rank 11 and one rank 15 module? Because rank 11 is the top rank where you can use the first iteration of adaptive shields.

And what about all the modules in the warehouse?

T4 Adaptive = rank 9-13; T5 Adaptive Shield = rank 12-15(it deoesnt matter in which ship you have it(at least it was so on the test server and i don’t think they will change it))

T4 Adaptive = rank 9-13; T5 Adaptive Shield = rank 12-15(it deoesnt matter in which ship you have it(at least it was so on the test server and i don’t think they will change it))

And T3 adaptives? that is my fear, that this will make all the time and resources invested in tier 4 modules will be just lost.

Because tier 3 will be adapted as rank 9-13, and tier 4 as well.

the destroyers

!!!

I’m still sceptical about this whole change, but we’ll see about it as it is released.

Also I don’t understand why you want Tier 5 to stagnate so. They get the same modules, same strength, same everything. Is is meant to make them strictly a “challenge” tier? It doesn’t made sense seeing as they are supposed to be the strongest ships available.

You also do not address the painful grind that you have to go through to get new ships. You should address this along side the rank system.

And T3 adaptives? that is my fear, that this will make all the time and resources invested in tier 4 modules will be just lost.

idk knwo about T3 adaptives(on the test server i was able to use them on EVERY ship)

What about leftover modules (TTC, Lightweight hulls, submatter shields) in T3? You gonna move them away or they stay in the rank range?

You know, now might also be a good time to switch the upgrade systems of Mk3 and 4 modules.

Make Mk3 upgrades use Irridium and Mk4 upgrades use Vouchers. There is no reason for the pay/grind wall to be right in the middle of the tech upgrades!

I really hope this is not the case, as I have spent a considerable amount of time upgrading my T4 mods. I don’t need more T3 mod equivalents, I have all the mk4s i need of those.

This could be a game breaker for me.

Even if i get all the vouchers refunded that will be crap because of the 1 million voucher cap, so I will still loose weeks of work.

Devs please shed some light on this. Are you really going to make months and months of work redundant?

You know, now might also be a good time to switch the upgrade systems of Mk3 and 4 modules.

Make Mk3 upgrades use Irridium and Mk4 upgrades use Vouchers. There is no reason for the pay/grind wall to be right in the middle of the tech upgrades!

while interesting point, gold can be expended already to upgrade any mark level (except 5), so it isnt just mk3 anymore

basicly you upgrade mk3 to mk4 per default with upgrade kits, and there are no upgrade kits to skip mk3 vouchers.

while iridium is the “but i want to upgrade any module” currency, that can be obtained as group (and might be a lot more grindy for some, if you do not have sectors in sq or enough credits to buy iridium from drops), but it is also needed for group buildings (dread)

so iridium is actually a way out, not the intended upgrade mechanic, the upgrade kits are still the “drops”, and therefore, technically speaking, mk3->mk4 is harder to upgrade, its just, the voucher prices seem a lot more work, since their costs are also higher, but their availability is more general.

what is actually missing, is upgrading to mk3 with an alternative route, like all other upgrade steps have, which is the real fact why it makes them feel more like a wall

vouchers are 6 distinct currencies in fact, that have no general currency to replace them, like iridium is for mk4, or credits are for mk3; and also no means of exchange.

so i do not think the order of upgrades is the issue, its more, the voucher system needs an overhaul, since most of these facts are due to historical developments; in game lore they make sense (get a credit upgrade, get the faction military default, get the precursor tech, get the alien tech), but you are right, to the player they make none, and vouchers remain the main hindrance to bring modules up to mk4, while the real “wall” is actually mk5 with the alien monocrystals, which only drop via pve gameplay or daily rewards and even are only randomly available for GS.

T3-4-5 mods wont have same effect.

t4 mods will be best in t3 and t5 mods in t4.

What about leftover modules (TTC, Lightweight hulls, submatter shields) in T3? You gonna move them away or they stay in the rank range?

good question. i for one say, since they always seemed actually fine in the balancing, and were mainly moved to make t4 more attractive back then imho, make them finally craftable through lesser materials, like TTC was at invasion pbt. it would give players which enter t3, and invasion, some lesser goal which is achievable right in the start (so no monos involved). this means they have some basic blueprints, and those materials are easily salvaged early.

There is nothing said about Heavy blasters,Rf blasters,ion emmiters in t1 and reverse thrusters and class special weapons in t2

PS:not sure if it was ions or other fighter weapon in t1

Yay! Finally I can progress further to t4.

But… What about destroyers?! C’mon! Tell us something about that. I’m already collecting money and synergy for them.

First of all, thanks for actually putting this up for discussion.

I don’t care all that much about the module requirements thing. It’s nice that progress is going to be cheaper and therefore faster now, but on the other hand I think there are easier solutions, like simply reducing the costs, or having modules upgradeable both per ranks and tiers (e.g. you buy an Adaptive Shield in T3, make it Mk4, then you have the option to pay a portion of its total T4 Mk4 value in creds, vouchers and iridium, and boom, you have a T4 module that works in both T3 and T4… same with T5 later on; saves you storage room and money). But sure, your solution works too.

However, having given some thought to this rank-based MM in PvP… I completely disagree with it. Why? Because until you’ve reached rank 15, you will always meet people flying better ships than you. In the current, tier-based system, it’s as easy as buying a rank 3/6/9/12/15 ship to be able to enjoy everything your tier has to offer, and you don’t even need to think about higher tiers.

For instance, I’m a tier 4 regular - I enjoy being able to play using T5 builds without having to worry about T5 implants and doomsday missiles/attack drones everywhere (and the fact that non-SP T5 ships look awful doesn’t help it either). If you give this change a green light, I’m going to be forced to play vs rank 13 ships with random cooldown on active modules and likely doomsday spam. No, thanks.

The logical solution would be to switch to ships of a higher rank, which - sorry - but I’m not going to do. But then again, can you imagine the influx of tier rushers? Or pilots having a rank 12 and a rank 8 in their line-up going alone vs r13’s? Isn’t it bad enough that they are able to enter T4 at all?

I don’t know what the reasoning behind this change is, but if it’s about balance… then it isn’t going to work unless you play T5 only. In my opinion, you should go the opposite way and cement tiers as they are - make sure that ALL ships have equal capabilites as compared to the other ones of the same tier (same amount of passive and active modules, and possibly access to the same implants) and then seal away each tier from anyone trying to access it with a ship of a lower tier.

Also, about this bit:

Balancing will be calculated according to the highest-ranked ship in your combat slots. Generally speaking, if you want to go into battle on ships of ranks 1, 2, and 3, only rank 3 will be taken into account. Nevertheless, you can also still fly the rank 1 ship. So do not be surprised if you encounter a ship much lower in rank than you - someone is giving you a free hit, or is very confident in his skills. In other words, battles between David and Goliath are possible, but only if the player himself wants to take risks.

If that isn’t an invitation to become a feeder on your team, I don’t know what is. The fact that there are people capable of killing T5’s in a T2 ship doesn’t mean I want to see them try when they’re on my team. Jeez. It’s a team game, please don’t encourage people to make their own team lose because bravado is apparently so trendy these days. You should encourage them to play to the best of their abilities, not the opposite…

Use R10-11 ships CoalitionofGears :stuck_out_tongue: (are prem ships considered lower rank for MM queue?)

Use R10-11 ships CoalitionofGears :stuck_out_tongue:

To end up playing with and against rank 9 people…? No, thanks.

First of all, thanks for actually putting this up for discussion.

I don’t care all that much about the module requirements thing. It’s nice that progress is going to be cheaper and therefore faster now, but on the other hand I think there are easier solutions, like simply reducing the costs, or having modules upgradeable both per ranks and tiers (e.g. you buy an Adaptive Shield in T3, make it Mk4, then you have the option to pay a portion of its total T4 Mk4 value in creds, vouchers and iridium, and boom, you have a T4 module that works in both T3 and T4… same with T5 later on; saves you storage room and money). But sure, your solution works too.

However, having given some thought to this rank-based MM in PvP… I completely disagree with it. Why? Because until you’ve reached rank 15, you will always meet people flying better ships than you. In the current, tier-based system, it’s as easy as buying a rank 3/6/9/12/15 ship to be able to enjoy everything your tier has to offer, and you don’t even need to think about higher tiers.

For instance, I’m a tier 4 regular - I enjoy being able to play using T5 builds without having to worry about T5 implants and doomsday missiles/attack drones everywhere (and the fact that non-SP T5 ships look awful doesn’t help it either). If you give this change a green light, I’m going to be forced to play vs rank 13 ships with random cooldown on active modules and likely doomsday spam. No, thanks.

The logical solution would be to switch to ships of a higher rank, which - sorry - but I’m not going to do. But then again, can you imagine the influx of tier rushers? Or pilots having a rank 12 and a rank 8 in their line-up going alone vs r13’s? Isn’t it bad enough that they are able to enter T4 at all?

I don’t know what the reasoning behind this change is, but if it’s about balance… then it isn’t going to work unless you play T5 only. In my opinion, you should go the opposite way and cement tiers as they are - make sure that ALL ships have equal capabilites as compared to the other ones of the same tier (same amount of passive and active modules, and possibly access to the same implants) and then seal away each tier from anyone trying to access it with a ship of a lower tier.

Also, about this bit:

If that isn’t an invitation to become a feeder on your team, I don’t know what is. The fact that there are people capable of killing T5’s in a T2 ship doesn’t mean I want to see them try when they’re on my team. Jeez. It’s a team game, please don’t encourage people to make their own team lose because bravado is apparently so trendy these days. You should encourage them to play to the best of their abilities, not the opposite…

The fact is that now, no matter which ship you use, you can be top of the chain or bottom of the chain. So a lot of people will have to exit the confort zone of being always farming people in rank 9/12 ships and actually face stronger oponents.

For me, anyone complaining against the rank system because “now I have to face high tier ships” is what makes me belive this rank system will be incredibly GOOD for everyone, but a few of such guys in their comfort zones.

It will make a lot of underrated ships shine again as they have to, and it will give people a reason to progress, instead of being shot in the face when they arrive tier 3 in their brand new rank 7 ship, and have to face teams full of “veterans” with full purple rank 9 ships ALL THE TIME.

Now they will have that, but also will be top of the chain sometimes which will help them to upgrade their ships.

And those “veterans” in full rank 9 ships will have to earn their badges again facing rank 10 ships (just rank 10 take in mind, not rank 12 even!)

I’m looking forward to this, like a lot.

PS: Also, the best part of all is that as a rank 15 player I won’t have to face Maulers anymore XD

The fact is that now, no matter which ship you use, you can be top of the chain or bottom of the chain. So a lot of people will have to exit the confort zone of being always farming people in rank 9/12 ships and actually face stronger oponents.

For me, anyone complaining against the rank system because “now I have to face high tier ships” is what makes me belive this rank system will be incredibly GOOD for everyone, but a few of such guys in their comfort zones.

It will make a lot of underrated ships shine again as they have to, and it will give people a reason to progress, instead of being shot in the face when they arrive tier 3 in their brand new rank 7 ship, and have to face teams full of “veterans” with full purple rank 9 ships ALL THE TIME.

Read again:

In my opinion, you should go the opposite way and cement tiers as they are - make sure that ALL ships have equal capabilites as compared to the other ones of the same tier (same amount of passive and active modules, and possibly access to the same implants) and then seal away each tier from anyone trying to access it with a ship of a lower tier.

I’ve always made it clear that this game needs to be more fair towards pilots of lower rank. That was in fact the topic of my very first thread ever made on this forum, and not much has changed since then in this regard, so you can drop your usual ‘git gud’ reiterations, really.