Developer blog from November 28th: Game Balanсe

We are currently working on future updates that will bring changes to several game modes. But while working on those future changes, we still remember about the constant balance monitoring and adjustment in the current version of Star Conflict universe.

d922586e7de756b6e3e528d3f7bb.jpg

So today we would like to tell you about the balance revisions concerning weapons.

Weapons using explosion mechanics hardly ever hit small and fast targets, which in addition have defensive bonuses against such weapons. Therefore, their impact will be slightly modified — we plan to increase their blast radius.

31c281ad1098b116c2ebad97c3e49aaa.png

‘Assault Railgun’ and ‘Plasma Cannon’ offered to novice pilots display below average effectiveness in combat. Analyzing combat performance, it is clear that projectile speed is not enough to take proper lead while aiming. Therefore we plan to increase this speed for weapons and ammunition accelerating projectiles. This will smooth the disadvantage that, for example, thermal weapons did not have, and using them will not be as easy…

But some weapons are too effective.

Too high critical damage of the ‘Cannon’ makes you only install modifiers associated with critical hit chance. In addition, the weapon was too effective against all opponents — missing with it is rather difficult, as well as with other lasers. Sometimes it is a key advantage in battle. For now, we decided that damage and other weapon bonuses will not be reduced, but this type of weapons will encourage engaging enemies in close combat.

d1eaa0951d6ba0d82b0e0209a056d45f.png

We will try and continue to keep you updated on the main directions of game balancing. Stay tuned!

I’m not too sure how I feel about that. Essentially making the key advantages of mortars, rails, and plasma guns better, but decreasing optimum range on lasers, is what I’m hearing. It’s probably a wise choice, though.

How about starting with toning down those ridiculous tackler turrets. 

I’m not too sure how I feel about that. Essentially making the key advantages of mortars, rails, and plasma guns better, but decreasing optimum range on lasers, is what I’m hearing. It’s probably a wise choice, though.

For now, we decided that damage and other weapon bonuses will not be reduced

But some weapons are too effective.

Too high critical damage of the ‘Cannon’ makes you only install modifiers associated with critical hit chance. In addition, the weapon was too effective against all opponents — missing with it is rather difficult, as well as with other lasers. Sometimes it is a key advantage in battle. For now, we decided that damage and other weapon bonuses will not be reduced, but this type of weapons will encourage engaging enemies in close combat.

I don’t see your point here applicable for frigates & the pic you added is a frigates with beam cannon. well the pic doesn’t matter.

Well I’m only pointing that frigates without rotation speed & maneuverability how can you encourage close combat ??

Increasing blast radius for mortar - I’m thinking now mortar spams on beacons while enemies capturing it fed014.png

And yes, i always welcome all balance updates they are all good at the end  005j.png  i wont mind if some of my stuffs will go worthless 

hm, not sure if assault rails really are “bad” because of their projectile speeds, it’s rather their overheat mechanics makes them really hard to use in close range. maybe that’s a good change to have more projectile speed. but it’s rather the ships, in t4+, which make them hard to use. the gap between empire fighters and all others just becomes slightly too big in endgame. hull sizes for feds, and shield mechanics for jerris makes empire better, especially because of ships like the spark.

the plasma is the only long range weapon on ceptors, but it is bad for close combat. faster projectile speeds won’t change much in that area, but also does not really hurt. but it is an effective weapon, especially against cruise stuff.

not sure about the laser part. i think lasers are weak enough; but i am not sure entirely, which weapon the last paragraph is talking about. beam cannon? don’t see range problems. it’s use is mainly because it’s most effective against ultra mobile targets. it’s a laser after all. it won’t change much about the extreme mobility some ships have, which becomes rather hard in t5. kinda feel like ions are way more hated because of their extreme focus damages.

and yah, tackler turrets, pls. give the big ones their spread back. tacklers should not abandon big drones, they should use their tackling to compensate for their bad aim, like it was before. buffing both at the same time, damage and remove spread, was an overbuff.

making coils more boom however is a good idea. might like that.

anyway, i find up to T3, stuff seems pretty balanced, it’s the upper tiers which become a bit one sided.

I think they might be increasing the radius at which coil mortars explode when they are in proximity of a target - there is no point increasing the explosion radius if you still cannot hit the interceptor!

Railgun and Plasma Gun will be interesting - I wonder if they will include Singularity Cannon or not - some people call this a “plasma cannon”.

As for beam cannons, they aren’t that great on certain ships unless you have higher dps and cpu slots to increase the crit chance/compensate for curved reflector. On some ships, the beam cannon is a death sentence for any ship that comes into the open :wink: Used on LRF, most tacklers that are on cooldown are doomed unless they are near cover.

So… What’s changing for thermal weapons?

So just to get my head around this… Basically they nerfed everything listed here a while back by making blast radius less and lasers weaker with longer range… And they are now going to undo all those changes. I’m all for it if it helps hit targets on lagged servers. But will we just keep having these “yo-yo” balance changes?

If frigs are gonna get lower range anytime soon, they better get some hull because we dodge squats with all that speed. IMO just re-arrange the turrets so we get less to no blind spots. Frigs problem is that they either hit like a train or don’t hit at all, it’s hard to balance, if the dps is previsible and stable, balance will be a walk in the park.

From my experience, very few people use rails or plasma because they are harder to use than insta hit beam weapons. Why would you bother with predicting and precision when you can just point your mouse at something and sit on the left mouse button until its destroyed? However, holding the mouse a lot can hurt your fingers :stuck_out_tongue:

So… What’s changing for thermal weapons?

Their weapon range.

I like the changes.

short beams will be shorter?

no

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Really? I hope not. I find lasers too short as it is.

Are you kidding?  Those lazorz can reach INCREDIBLE ranges with the right fits, still dealing massive amounts of damage.  Think about it; it’s easier to hit a target with lasers the farther away they are.  I’ve seen ships go down because they are simply too slow to avoid the damage, especially if their roll/pitch is not good either.  No, the changes are needed and good for the balance of the game.

Are you kidding?  Those lazorz can reach INCREDIBLE ranges with the right fits, still dealing massive amounts of damage.  Think about it; it’s easier to hit a target with lasers the farther away they are.  I’ve seen ships go down because they are simply too slow to avoid the damage, especially if their roll/pitch is not good either.  No, the changes are needed and good for the balance of the game.

Yep, that will make the projectile based weapons more desirable if they can outrange the instant hit lasers.

Lasers are OP, I’m glad of this nerf.  Bring back the bubble gunships!! They need to live again…

Lasers are OP, I’m glad of this nerf.  Bring back the bubble gunships!! They need to live again…

I’ve been sporting mine as of late :wink:

The thing with lasers is that some people suck at aiming them, while others can make even the fastest interceptors feel pain… :wink:

How about starting with toning down those ridiculous tackler turrets. 

no. they aren’t ridiculous. all you have to do is kill the tackler which is easy.