Developer Blog entry from September, 3rd

d922586e7de756b6e3e528d3f7bb.jpg

Pilots!

We’d like to start today’s blog with the announcement of the changes that will affect the modules in the game!

So, as noted in our development plan, we continue to work on the roles of the ships, in order to make them more unique and interesting for piloting. In the near future, we plan to refine the module system. We want our players to really see and feel that the ships of different sides of conflict were developed and created on different planets with different philosophies of combat behavior!

As you know, the designers of Jericho ships equipped them with powerful shields, while Imperial engineers prefer stronger hulls. Federation engineers have focused on high-speed. The modules for these ships should be distributed accordingly. Classes and roles of different races will differ from each other not only in appearance, but also in their selection of modules - thus the playing style of different sides of conflict will be more diverse!

Along with refinement of the modules, we have also modified the equipment interface - now our players can easily see what type of modules they can install on their ships.

028b468b98d85dcb7a811a05cc4d.png

fc0102089dd6561656655a963100.png

Looking at the example of these two engineering ships you can see the differences that we have explained above - Federation ships now have more slots for engine modules, while Imperial ships can only install one such module, but this is compensated by the large number of slots for hull and shield.

In addition to that, we would like to inform our players that due to the changes made to the system, a portion of modules will be modified. In general, these changes are of balancing nature, however some of the modules were reworked more than others. These particular changes were made in order to eliminate possible duplication of modules and to add more variety to the game!

We would like to mention that, as before, price of all modules, which due to some changes may or may not become unavailible for our players, will be compensated!
Dear Star Conflict pilots! Don’t forget, our game is in beta testing and any changes we make in the game, are aimed to improve the game. We will closely monitor the situation and collect the feedback.

Below we want to provide a list of all modules that will be affected by this change:

• Pulse Discharger
    This module will be purchasable on T2 and higher.
  • Multiphase Generator
    This module will be purchasable on T4 and higher.
  • Capacitor Power Relay
  • Shield Projection Splitter
    This module will now increase the shield strength and reduce the acceleration of the ship.
  • Adaptive Shield
    This module will only be active when your ship is flying at max speed. It will increase the shield and hull resistances.
  • Submatter Shield
  • Armor-Plated Hull
  • EM-Insulation
    This module will be purchasable on T1 and higher.
  • Galvanized Armor
    This module will be purchasable on T3 and higher. This module will increase the hull resistances and reduce the rotation speed of the ship.
  • Lightweight Armor
  • Overclocked CPU
  • Target Tracking Coprocessor
    This module will be purchasable on T4 and higher. The old bonus will be removed and the module will increase critical damage instead. Players who already own this module will be able to keep it, but with the new bonus.
  • Auxiliary Generator
    This module will be purchasable on T1 and higher. It will increase the ship speed, but also the energy consumption of the afterburners.

Moving on to the next part of our blog! We would like to explain synergy earning and how it works depending on the strength of the enemy you killed.

It is logical that the stronger your opponent, the higher should be the reward for his destruction - and indeed it is. As you can see in the table (under the spoiler), the level of the resulting synergy is higher when your opponent is stronger, and vice versa - the weaker your enemy, the less you get for its destruction!

62de89ad2ef13c40a4c847adf914.png

This table shows the levels of synergy for killed opponents, but do not forget - the more attention you give to being a team player and the objectives of the battle, the more synergy you get at the end of a battle!

In the final part of our blog, we would like to tell you about the mechanics of one of the types of our weapons - Gauss Cannon. We know that our pilots have rather lively discussions of the mechanics, and we would like to clarify what exactly is going on with damage calculation based on the number of weapons charges.

As you know, the more of this type of weapon charges, the greater the chance of dealing critical damage, however, critical damage itself is reduced in order to reduce the alpha strike strength. We have decided to use this mechanic to ensure that our players could inflict high damage, but did not destroy weak ships with single shots. More information can be found under the spoiler:

So, the basic formula for calculating weapon damage is as follows:

DMGfinal = X * DMGbasic * (1 + (A * X) * (B * / X))

Where X - is the number of charges.
DMGbasic - is the base damage of the gun.
A - Chance of dealing critical damage.
B - Critical damage value.

In the event of a critical hit, the formula becomes:

DMGfinal = X * DMGbasic * (1 +1 * (B / X))

Thus, if DMGbasic gun is 2000, we will see the following numbers on a crit with three charges:

DMGfinal = X * DMGbasic * (1 +1 * (B / X)) = 2000 * 3 * (1 * 0.1666666666666667 1) = 7000

However, when there’s no critical hit, we see the following:

DMGfinal = X * DMGbasic * (1 +0 * (B / X)) = X * DMG = 3 * 2000 * 1 = 6000.

Note: As you can see, X * A can not be greater than 1 (as it’s the probability of the event), so if you use the mechanics of charging and your chance of dealing critical damage exceeds 34%, then on the third charge you may lose some of your effective damage.

A simplified table for clarity:
4559820d771facc7a04e6af0b1d6.png

Thus, in order to increase the effectiveness of using this type of weapon, you can use the implants and modules that modify critical hit rates.

This concludes today’s blog, don’t forget to leave your comments!

Sincerely,
Star Conflict team.

So, huh… Where exactly are the active modules on those ships?..

Here they are in the lower right part of the interface.

post-240886-0-06623800-1378222288.png

Bottom right.

EDIT: Ninjaed by Atibus

________

Anyway does that mean that fed engies will run at insane speed and fed engies will have shitloads of hull/shield? or will you reduce the amount of shield/hull/speed/whatever given by the modules? not sure if I explained it correctly…

and when this patch will come out?

And another question, what about the matchmaking? I’m tired of playing t3 against guys with rank 12 ships…

About that free visit to the optician we offer as one of the perks in the corporation…

:lol:

I was about to do exactly what Antibus did, but he was quick as lightning.

On topic;

I quite like the direction this is taking. The passive and ship mod modules never made any sense as all of those provided passive bonuses. I am glad to see those merged and split into much clearer categories. This is easier to understand for new players, and it makes ship fitting more interesting long-term.

I also like how it forces more rounded builds - gone are the days where you stack 4x hull tanking modules in your passives and gain a silly level of tank on Empire Engineers. All in all with long-term tweaks, it will create more balance.

I reserve judgement on the changes to modules and restricting them to specific tiers until that goes into full effect and we see how it affects the game in reality. One of the major gripes of players will be how the change will affect their existing equipment, especially in cases where a major change occurs or where modules are already equipped in ships which are now no longer able to equip them.

Here they are in the lower right part of the interface.

I am blind as an idiot… I thought those were the Passive modules. Wait. Where are the Passive modules, then?

Anyway does that mean that fed engies will run at insane speed and fed engies will have shitloads of hull/shield? or will you reduce the amount of shield/hull/speed/whatever given by the modules? not sure if I explained it correctly…

and when this patch will come out?

The modules will be tweaked a bit, some of them (in spoiler) will be changed a bit more than the others. But basically yes, different ships will have different perks. 

The patch will most probably come out this week at a usual time. 

So in fighters lose Adaptive Shield, Shield Projection Splitter/Armor-Plated Hull and Emergency Barrier? LOL! Squishy!

Would be nice that with such far reaching changes you would refund all modules for their purchase price since it looks like we’ll have to refit all ships anyway.

Can’t knock it til I’ve tried it, even so, I don’t find myself dripping with anticipation for this.

What Ory asked: what happened to passive mods?

What Ory asked: what happened to passive mods?

To put it simple: they are still there. We have tweaked them a bit, but you can still use them and install in slots on the ship. 

To put it simple: they are still there. We have tweaked them a bit, but you can still use them and install in slots on the ship. 

I REALLY hope you’re not dumbing the game like you did with Missiles… I really hope not…

I’m assuming passives and ship mods will get merged into one category ie. the ones you stick on along the top row. Dumbing down? Not sure … but it’s a good way to limit tanking abilities because now ships have a hardcap on hull / shield slots. I guess we’ll find out more soon enough.

also… can someone teach me math?

(B * / X)

how do ?

I’m assuming passives and ship mods will get merged into one category ie. the ones you stick on along the top row

Exactly what we’re fearing here.

Essentially, passive mods and ship mods are no longer put in different categories (they were essentially the same thing with a different label) and the concept used in ship mods where each have their own slot has been expanded to the passive mod system.

It’s not a ‘dumbing down’ but rather a change of how these modules are presented in the UI. I find it much clearer, and it allows for a much more fine-tuned balancing of each ship vs. the previous “passive slot contains any of this huge array of modules” mechanic. It allows the devs to create more of a difference between the ships of the various factions.

(B * / X)

how do ?

* - is odd, typo. Removed, thank you. 

4 x Horizon … I shall miss you baby

Do you get synergy only for kill, what about assist?

Do you get synergy only for kill, what about assist?

As far as we know, assists are counting too, but the synergy gain may be slightly lower. 

What about all the t3 Experimental modules now aviable form t4 only people alreadu have?