Developer Blog entry from November, 19th. Hidden shipyard raid and update 0.9.10!

Barrier is so much better than gate

barrier is a most worthless Engineer module. Period. Even drones are more usefull (the ones that go into missile slot)

This is considered to tell well on overall balance of fights.

As always, we will continue monitoring the situation with this change in mind.

I think this is a bad way to look at it, Antibus. Yeah, it bothers me to have my modules on cooldown when I respawn, but if you look at my statistics and scores, I still am winning almost all of my games. I feel that this change has given me a sincere, distinct advantage over newer players. One that really wasn’t necessary to begin with.

Something like this is much more punishing to a newer player than to a veteran as experienced players can adapt to changes more readily, so I do not understand how it actually balances anything. At some point you might just have to accept that some players and groups of players are going to be better at this game than others, and those players will find a way to continue being good no matter what you do, so it is rather pointless to punish everyone in an attempt to curtail it.

This is a different kind of change than re-balancing modules. This is making the game harder for those who already find the game hard, and will further distance them from the upper skill players.

(sorry for the edit. I had just woke up when I wrote this originally and it felt rather disjointed)

Barrier has saved my xxxx at least a dozen times in the past week

Nope, it is a new mission, that will be added to the PvE map.

Will it be a interceptor/fighter type map?  Anytime I see an interceptor on anything other than pirate base I know they’ll die.  In pirate base, the group needs to know a lot.  Also, since everyone’s going to fail a lot when starting to play it, maybe temporarily give a credit/synergy bonus for failing to at least cover repair costs?

We remember of PvP too, but at the moment we are working on very interesting, yet difficult things. We do know that you are waiting for new PvP content, but this ‘something’… we want to roll it out to be nice and dandy, thus it takes a bit more time.

Wait for further announcements!

I like the idea of perfection before release, but I fail to believe that your testers are sufficiently representative of the player base.  Some are good, some are bottom of the barrel.

They did move a Beacons here and there …in some of the maps…  I know because they frigging put a Beacon right in one of my hidding spot. :facepalm:  

what are you hiding?

He almost always spawns as an LRF.  Jericho normally.  He “flies” as a sniper.

barrier is a most worthless Engineer module. Period. Even drones are more usefull (the ones that go into missile slot)

Drones are still great in PvE, and in PvP it depends on the other team, don’t knock them.  I like my army of five drones taking out interceptors before I can land a shot.

Barrier has saved my xxxx at least a dozen times in the past week

Only because singularity’s been nerfed enough.  It’s not eliminated, but it’s very limited.

Drones are still great in PvE, and in PvP it depends on the other team, don’t knock them.  I like my army of five drones taking out interceptors before I can land a shot.

Drones are not great in PvE, EM torp is great in PvE, drones are meh comparing to EM torp.

if your 5 drones can take out some interceptor, you could’ve as well just ram him to death with the same success rate, but had tons of hilarity in a process.

I think this is a bad way to look at it, Antibus. Yeah, it bothers me to have my modules on cooldown when I respawn, but if you look at my statistics and scores, I still am winning almost all of my games. I feel that this change has given me a sincere, distinct advantage over newer players. One that really wasn’t necessary to begin with.

Something like this is much more punishing to a newer player than to a veteran as experienced players can adapt to changes more readily, so I do not understand how it actually balances anything. At some point you might just have to accept that some players and groups of players are going to be better at this game than others, and those players will find a way to continue being good no matter what you do, so it is rather pointless to punish everyone in an attempt to curtail it.

This is a different kind of change than re-balancing modules. This is making the game harder for those who already find the game hard, and will further distance them from the upper skill players.

(sorry for the edit. I had just woke up when I wrote this originally and it felt rather disjointed)

This is so true. I was always saying as well: you cannot balance skill. 

I use drones AND barrier at the same time, this got me a maniac against 2 steel pilots and a nasa pilot yesterday in a combat recon

Drones are not great in PvE, EM torp is great in PvE, drones are meh comparing to EM torp.

if your 5 drones can take out some interceptor, you could’ve as well just ram him to death with the same success rate, but had tons of hilarity in a process.

What’s your target, or are you using an engineer for everything?  Are you changing targets instead of focusing on where you should attack your secondary target?

The five drones is three attack drones if they didn’t get killed wandering off along with the two combat drones.  If your team’s near you, they’ll help get the kill but the fire rate of the drones is favorable to a kill shot.  It’s not a solo thing, but since the attack drones need specifically targeted unlike combat drones they do help provide DPS while someone’s attempting to solo an engineer.  Torps are riskier and potentially suicidal.  For blackwood drones are great for round three, even if rounds one and two they’re sub par.  Torps are good for PvE multi hits, drones are for the objective targets.

What’s your target, or are you using an engineer for everything?  Are you changing targets instead of focusing on where you should attack your secondary target?

The five drones is three attack drones if they didn’t get killed wandering off along with the two combat drones.  If your team’s near you, they’ll help get the kill but the fire rate of the drones is favorable to a kill shot.  It’s not a solo thing, but since the attack drones need specifically targeted unlike combat drones they do help provide DPS while someone’s attempting to solo an engineer.  Torps are riskier and potentially suicidal.  For blackwood drones are great for round three, even if rounds one and two they’re sub par.  Torps are good for PvE multi hits, drones are for the objective targets.

2 native drones from engineer can be ignored for the sake of argument because they have nothing to do with what you have equipped in a missile slot, they are there and they do their work.

PvE, EM torp beats drones in every phase, Drones are absolutely useless in phase 1 and 2, and meh on dps in phase 3. Why meh? because you spawn 1, then you spawn 2d wait till cd is gone and than spawn 3d, Drones do not start at full dps potential it takes quite awhile to reach it and than it is getting capped because you can not spawn more than 3 so so much is getting wasted (especially when you are in T5 frig you can spam those torps into boss face like there is no tomorrow). Especialy if you are doing PvE in t3 ships, EM torps are that much more important because it takes 2 torps to clear a boss adds +pulsar. Drones have nothing on EM torps in pve. Nothing.

In PvP after recent changes to drones they die, they die instantly if used offensively (Octopus is tenfold better than drones as offencive tool), no matter how you fly your engineer. And for defence there is nothing available for engineers that is better than EMs. Drones only work against very bad players and in those cases everything will work and will produce even better results.

A similar question was already answered: This is considered to tell well on overall balance of fights.

As always, we will continue monitoring the situation with this change in mind.

So basically, I have 1 last gunship on realistic. Enemy team is spawn camping me. I can not turn my overdrive to escape or kill 1 or 2 of them before I die ?

Logic ?

Afaik this doesn’t work on ships you didn’t pull out of hangar yet, only on those that have just been destroyed and if you’re pulling them again (hence why I started switching ships on death).

fun

I use them to harass, and at close range the missile one, with my guns have chased off a good number of interceptors