"Destroyer Control Mode" for all ships

Surely we can all agree that the “Look around” and “Free aim” buttons are complete garbage?
It blocks you from controlling your ship while you look around, while also swinging to the angle you last had it at… very disorienting.
Furthermore, your weapons will only shoot forward like fixed weapons while looking around… useless.
The Free Aim requires you nudge the cursor against the side of the screen to turn the camera, so its awkward to use, and again, keeps you from steering.

So, I simply propose that all ships can enter “Destroyer mode”, to steer independently from their aim. Weapon arc restrictions still apply.
Additionally, a “Strafe modifier” button, so that while in this mode, you can move sideways as well.

Thoughts? One concern of mine is that interceptors would just stack turn rate, spin to win, and aim easily while doing so. This was a problem before when we could map a key to turn our ship but they removed it because of the following, so any feedback on how to prevent THAT while also allowing this quality of life feature would be appreciated.

It would be OP on interceptors, idk if you’re from the time people could assign turn keys and would circle a point shooting the hell out of you while being quite hard to be shot at? yeh, no bueno.

I would love to have a “look around” that always starts from your current camera angle, though.

Edit: Did you edit? I feel dumb now.

Edit 2: A complex way to implement that would be to add destroyer commands with a gun rotation spread modifier, the farther the weapon is from 0° (front of the ship) the weapon’s accuracy gets increasingly worse. In my dreams that would also kills the carousel dogfights we have in game.

Frigs would not have accuracy penalties because that would just help butt farm. We could explain it as frigs having more processing power to keep track of targets.

2 minutes ago, Chernoplot said:

It would be OP on interceptors, idk if you’re from the time people could assign turn keys and would circle a point shooting the hell out of you while being quite hard to be shot at? yeh, no bueno.

I would love to have a “look around” that always starts from your current camera angle, though.

Edit: Did you edit? I feel dumb now.

it wouldn’t matter, since you cannot shoot over 90° on interceptors anyway

9 minutes ago, QACinnamonTroll said:

it wouldn’t matter, since you cannot shoot over 90° on interceptors anyway

Tru, for my idea to work we would need the 90° restriction to go away.

This was a part of the game before, in some way and it’s also the main reason we still have that improv-nerf on intie fire angles.

You can set key in kb settings, it’s as I remember “free look”.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:48 PM, ORCA1911 said:

This was a part of the game before, in some way and it’s also the main reason we still have that improv-nerf on intie fire angles.

I’d certainly like it if at least the frigates and fighters could have this, they aren’t as much like jet fighters as the interceptors are, and turning matches with them are a lot less insane