Destroyer camera control improvement

I’m talking about the Z axis. You can look around left and right with no problem, but when you look up or down you hit a hard limit of 90 degrees and then roll the camera around that axis. This buggers the free look mode a lot. I suggest simply to allow up / down camera movement freely like left and right.

That moment when u make a full circle trying to kill something and all logic fails you… Something is off about the cam controls fo’ sho’.

Something is off about the cam controls fo’ sho’.

So it’s Sho’s fault

I thought all fps camera did that :stuck_out_tongue:

So it’s Sho’s fault

We must find him at once!

it only makes sense when you are controling infantry, since feet are on the ground and also the back has bending limits…ships dont have any of this characteristics.

This ain’t a FPS though

This ain’t a FPS though

I can not remember any 3rdPS that would not have same thing (rotational axis 90 deg vertically to a horizon) though, but it does not mean we could not improve on such antique drawback.

I can not remember any 3rdPS that would not have same thing (rotational axis 90 deg vertically to a horizon) though, but it does not mean we could not improve on such antique drawback.

PS2 aircrafts :smiley:

PS2 aircrafts :smiley:

Sorcery! At least they have an excuse that you can’t look through your ship when you press the middle mouse button.

And you’re right, if you go into 3rd person view, it doesn’t happen!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal_lock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal_lock

too…much…physics…to…under…stand

You just gotta try man, who knows, maybe it will teach you how to call inverters in advance…

Huehuehue

You just gotta try man, who knows, maybe it will teach you how to call inverters in advance…

Huehuehue

shouting “kill the thingie” isn’t enough?

Huehuehue

you-are-so-mean.jpg

I like were the gorilla walks in…saying this is a stupid proof video xD. Cant you make a dynamic euler system? whats the problem of having a 4th gimbal?

EDIT: how does camera works for ceptors/fighters/frigates? they dont have any lock.

I like were the gorilla walks in…saying this is a stupid proof video xD. Cant you make a dynamic euler system? whats the problem of having a 4th gimbal?

EDIT: how does camera works for ceptors/fighters/frigates? they dont have any lock.

If you would’ve read what STatue linked - there is a section regarding 4th gimbal :)))

Standard camera moves with the ship, so that pane is not locked in one place relatively to the ships/maps horizon, it is only happens in this “unlinked” camera mode

If you would’ve read what STatue linked - there is a section regarding 4th gimbal :)))

Standard camera moves with the ship, so that pane is not locked in one place relatively to the ships/maps horizon, it is only happens in this “unlinked” camera mode

I asked about the 4th gimbal by looking the link statue posted (clearly i couldnt have come up with that by my own)…i did not understand it back then. So reading it again heres the solution:

“This problem may be overcome by use of a fourth gimbal, intelligently driven by a motor so as to maintain a large angle between roll and yaw gimbal axes. Another solution is to rotate one or more of the gimbals to an arbitrary position when gimbal lock is detected and thus reset the device.”

all by myself :005j:

I asked about the 4th gimbal by looking the link statue posted (clearly i couldnt have come up with that by my own)…i did not understand it back then. So reading it again heres the solution:

“This problem may be overcome by use of a fourth gimbal, intelligently driven by a motor so as to maintain a large angle between roll and yaw gimbal axes. Another solution is to rotate one or more of the gimbals to an arbitrary position when gimbal lock is detected and thus reset the device.”

all by myself :005j:

Point being, there’s no way to remove the camera freakout unless they change the entire engine. Probably.

Gimbal lock can be prevented by using quaternions for rotation instead of euler.