Counter Picking Guide

alright guys so,

im gonna organize this as follows:

a very general guide / detailed guide

general guide looks like this:

Respective tiers 2,3,4,5

Ship classes  fighter (tackler, command, gunship), frig (Long range, guard, engineer)  int (recon,ecm,cov)

ex

tier 2

Int COV > frig LRF

… ect.

and the detailed version would have specific ship names not just the classes

so ex

tier 2

Hawk > Hydra

this is purely opinion based, and obviously is influenced by how one builds their ships and flies them,

but that is cool

since i have flown mainly fighters ill just give my opinion

t2

fighter command > fighter tackler

fighter command > frigate guard

fighter command > interceptor recon

fighter gunship > frigate guard

fighter gunship > fighter command

fighter gunship> frigate engineer

fighter tackler > fighter gunship

fighter tackler > interceptor covert ops

fighter tackler > frigate Long range

since I mainly flew fighters this is how I personally selected enemies for the kill , my t3 experience is poor, but when I learn ill share it.

1v1 situations don’t usually occur in-game… I’m not sure how applicable this is, especially since many roles are actually very supportive in nature.

I have to disagree with “command > tackler”. Tackler lowers the resists and snares target, so command’s diffuse shield will drop faster. Anyway, everything is situational.

comand>recon is kinda wrong, at least with jer comands. shields get drained, mine kills the special module… 

I have to disagree with “command > tackler”. Tackler lowers the resists and snares target, so command’s diffuse shield will drop faster. Anyway, everything is situational.

Command’s diffusion shield does not have resistance and is not affected by target painter

Command’s diffusion shield does not have resistance and is not affected by target painter

They’ll eventually drop and slowing down your target actually speeds up that process because he may not evade your shots as fast.

t2

fighter command > fighter tackler fine

fighter command > frigate guard maybe in t2 because guards are crap there

fighter command > interceptor recon never, command cant deal with a proper recon with shield drain, spy drones and mines

fighter gunship > frigate guard fine

fighter gunship > fighter command fine

fighter gunship> frigate engineer any fighter can kill a engineer in t2

fighter tackler > fighter gunship no, gunships can remove the debuffs with combat reboot and take down any tackler in 2 seconds

fighter tackler > interceptor covert ops usually, cov ops > tackler, use plasma web to prevent tackler from cloaking, then rape him in seconds, if the cov ops has cloak out of cooldown, unless the cov ops is droned, tackler can’t solo it

fighter tackler > frigate Long range almost every class can kill a LRF

t2

fighter command > interceptor recon never, command cant deal with a proper recon with shield drain, spy drones and mines

fighter tackler > fighter gunship no, gunships can remove the debuffs with combat reboot and take down any tackler in 2 seconds

gunships maneuverability is quite poor just keep in their blind spot and you shuld be able to get them , the cd on gunships overdrive & reboot are really long, so just wait till its popped and then they are fair game, gunships cant run and they cant hide

fighter tackler > interceptor covert ops usually, cov ops > tackler, use plasma web to prevent tackler from cloaking, then rape him in seconds, if the cov ops has cloak out of cooldown, unless the cov ops is droned, tackler can’t solo it

fighter tackler > frigate Long range almost every class can kill a LRF true but a command/gunship wont  be able to sneak up/reach them

t2

gunships maneuverability is quite poor just keep in their blind spot and you shuld be able to get them , the cd on gunships overdrive & reboot are really long, so just wait till its popped and then they are fair game, gunships cant run and they cant hide

fighter tackler > frigate Long range almost every class can kill a LRF true but a command/gunship wont  be able to sneak up/reach them

But we’re talking about an overal situation, and gunships are way stronger than a tackler, if any tackler tries to solo a gunship and this gunship turns back, goodbuy tackler, gunsips can out maneuver any interceptor with overdrive, they have debuff immunity and they deal huge amounts of damage in seconds.

Tacklers are good against some interceptors and maybe against some guards, but nothing vs a gunship, specially a tanky one from Empire.

But we’re talking about an overal situation, and gunships are way stronger than a tackler, if any tackler tries to solo a gunship and this gunship turns back, goodbuy tackler, gunsips can out maneuver any interceptor with overdrive, they have debuff immunity and they deal huge amounts of damage in seconds.

When crap happens, tacklers will cloak and wait out the gunship buffs :stuck_out_tongue:

When crap happens, tacklers will cloak and wait out the gunship buffs :stuck_out_tongue:

Cloak? What does that mean? with the recent Recon swarm no one is safe from micro locators.

Yeah, methinks cloaks are useless now

They can still be a slightly improved missile flare, and on occasion sneak up on an LRF a little easier so you can wait for their torpedo launch.

Cloak? What does that mean? with the recent Recon swarm no one is safe from micro locators.

I’m still more bothered by spy drones. At least my gauss outranges the micro locator. 

I’m still more bothered by spy drones. At least my gauss outranges the micro locator. 

But a smart recon will drone you anyway, I’ll drone you the whole game if I see you!

But a smart recon will drone you anyway, I’ll drone you the whole game if I see you!

Please do, if that means not droning the guards and engies on my team :3 I’ll drop by whenever your spy drones come out of cooldown.

Please do, if that means not droning the guards and engies on my team :3 I’ll drop by whenever your spy drones come out of cooldown.

Short cooldown and long duration, I will drone you and anyone dangerous!

Short cooldown and long duration, I will drone you and anyone dangerous!

Spoken like a true Recon.

1v1 situations don’t usually occur in-game… I’m not sure how applicable this is, especially since many roles are actually very supportive in nature.

Agreed. There are also many ways you can approach the same class, and this statement ignores faction differences. Depending on how you build a ship, what your play style is, and who is on your team, it is difficult to generalize on a class-wide scale. If you set out to build something with a particular purpose in mind and are able to fill that role on the battlefield, that’s a success.

I keep reading this thread and don’t really understand it. There really isn’t such a thing as ‘counter picking’. Always finding that skill and fitting together are the only real counters. For example i see in the main post ‘command > tackler’. I never had this happen in a match when flying tackler. There is however ‘the right pick for the situation’, rather than ship type vs ship type. Too many interceptors? Anything in your hangar designed to kill those (usually gauss ships). Too many frigs? Blue balls. Too many frigates in your own team? Don’t rambo alone or go frig yourself etc etc etc. That is by far the better analysis and way to treat the situation.

I keep reading this thread and don’t really understand it. There really isn’t such a thing as ‘counter picking’. Always finding that skill and fitting together are the only real counters. For example i see in the main post ‘command > tackler’. I never had this happen in a match when flying tackler. There is however ‘the right pick for the situation’, rather than ship type vs ship type. Too many interceptors? Anything in your hangar designed to kill those (usually gauss ships). Too many frigs? Blue balls. Too many frigates in your own team? Don’t rambo alone or go frig yourself etc etc etc. That is by far the better analysis and way to treat the situation.

This.

I’ll point out a few things anyway.

Like residente said recon is great against fighters. Jericho fighters, in particular, suffer severely against recons because their hull is weak and their shields can be sucked out in a few second

Pretty much any interceptor ship type can devastate a frigate/fighter given the pilot knows what he’s doing. 

As for gunships running away, you can hit overdrive and speed module and hit 700m/s limit doing constant AB and evading like a boss

Reaching out for snipers… this way is the worst way to go in most cases - cloak > run to him > kill > get killed

Snipers usually stay near spawn and people will keep popping up at the spawn to kill you

IMO the best way to perform sniper assassination is with recon or a fast covops - get a bit close > cloak(if in recon) > kill > warp away to life (cloak if in cov-ops)

Gunships in general are great against frigates and slow fighters when they run bubblegun.

If the gunship has any other type of weapon then a command ship has high chances of coming out as a winner due to tankier build, diffusion shield and ofc, weapon boost (not as much gunship but it does make a difference)