Contest 'Crystal Science' (Discussion)

43e7a86371f8bad0fdb151a45bba.jpg

‘Ellydium’ corporation had focused on the study of Aliens and succeeded.

Their scientists, equipped with high-end tech and tools, managed to break through and find out some information, but still [need your help](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/32090-contest-crystal-science/), pilots!

Ah,alien knowledge?About time to get more in-depth with this.It’s novel time!

Fiction timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :smiley:
Can’t wait to write down my feelings. (^.^)

And just for fun: It seem the scientist come to a dead end. They have no clue what they do and need ideas. :smiley:

Yet another constest that I can’t win due to my bad english  ![:016:](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/016.png “:016:”)

5 minutes ago, Swifter43021 said:

Yet another constest that I can’t win due to my bad english  ![:016:](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/016.png “:016:”)

You’re able to write a short story, in which crystals have an effect, which deteriorates your language! ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”) for example…

Just now, Akaurl said:

You’re able to write a short story, in which crystals have an effect, which deteriorates your language! ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”) for example…

How about just plainly changing the text formats?I’ll do that now that I said it…

Sounds interesting. I’ll give a go at this!

Phew,there you go,all the info over there is cannon,yet I went out and tried to use the info to define who could be responsible for their creation,hope it’s not too long.

When you guys mean “short”, how short exactly? Like 500 words?

An old (trademarked:) concept of mine had a little bonus story for this:

Spoiler

Name:  GREEN ’GOO’ MISSILE
Type: Missile modules
Group: Pirate missile
Effect: -10 pts/s Hull resistance, 1000 pts/s hull dmg, +50% locking time, -50% sensor range, „chain smoking”
Active time: 5 sec
Recharge: 8 sec
Charges in cartridge: 3
Cartridge reloding time: 120 sec
Flight range: 4500 m
Flight speed: 1500 m/s
Explosion radius: 100 m
Missile type: guided

Lore: Even though the factions had an agreement of avoiding sectors infected by the Liu virus, behind the scenes experiments have continued. In one project scientists aimed to find an answer to the occurrence of the black smoke around biomorphs. Thanks to some progress in this research they were able to reproduce it. Besides the dreadful smoke it also had other „beneficial” effects therefore a new weapon has been created. Because of the deep rooting fear of the Liu virus, however, the leadership has decided to not use it and they closed the project. When pirates have learned about this weapon they knew right away that it will become a „must” accessory to all pirate pilots. Not only its effect on ships have become popular among them but its psychological impact, the fear from the virus, have also increased the demand for it. And as a bonus, the eerie black smoke just simply matched to their pirate mind and life style.
Effect mechanism: The missile is capable of piercing through shields (except ECM M.E.F. Generator) and damage hull directly. Weapon deals no damage to shields. Missile explosion is small to avoid damaging nanites in the “goo”, therefore it has no effect on hull. The infected nanobots attack hull and every reachable system on the ship. Hull damage: 1000 pts/s for 5 sec. Hull resistance decreases by 10 pts for 5 sec. Target locking time increases by 50% for 5 sec. Sensor range decreases by 50%. Destroyer modules (active, special, engine) also suffer damage. FoF system is inactive. The “goo” attacks every ship regardless. Anti-missile systems are effective against the GG missile. Self-infection/damaging is on.
“Chain smoking” effect: If a ship under the effect of the GG missile collides with another ship, this other ship gets “infected” too and suffers from the same negative effects, although, only for half as long as the infector. Infection can be passed forward only 2 times. Infection chain: Player 1 (infected by the GG missile) >> Player 2 (infected by Player 1) >> Player 3 (infected by Player 2). Infection times respectively: 5 s >> 2.5 s >> 1.25 s. Player 1 can infect multiple ships during the 5 sec effect. Player 2 can infect only one other ship. Player 3 cannot pass on the infection. (We definitely need this because it would be so much fun passing the smoke around.:slight_smile: Destructible, targetable stationary objects (drones, etc.) can also be infected and pass infection on. Reinfection, passing back negative infection, is not allowed.
The smoke appears wherever the GG missile explodes. A ship flying into the smoke gets infected for 5 second. One smoke cloud that did not hit a ship target directly can infect only one ship. When a ship flies into this smoke the cloud disappears. If multiple ships get hit by the same missile explosion then each of them gets infected for 5 seconds.

Infected ships are protected against alien targeting.
Visual effect: Missile is covered in smoke as it closes on its target. Upon successful hit the target gets covered in smoke. Insert biomorph smoke effect here.

!!Bonus!! Aerography suggestion: Smoke „Paint”
In the early days of its use, some fanatic pirate enthusiasts even used the material GG (Green Goo) missile was made of on their own ships. They attached makeshift parts and sacrificed them in order to make their beloved vessels covered in smoke and look more fearsome. It was very rare occurrence though because of the dangers it posed: any nanodrone system used around live „goo” were able to make it become uncontrollable and lethal to themselves. These attachments have became obsolete later on when a new shielding system made it possible to keep small doses of „goo” away from their own ships and they could use it as a visual upgrade without negative consequences. From these experiences not much later later a new weapon has evolved. (See Anti-ramming system.) Shielding with this system against the GG missile is still not possible, however, due to the GG missile’s nasty habit of penetrating shields and the detonation of the missile also interferes with this low-energy „goo” shielding system. ’Smoke aerography’ has no damaging or other negative effect. Visual upgrade available in DLCs or in bundle for GS. (Note: In order to distinguish GG missile effect, Anti-ramming system effect and ’Smoke aerography’ effect from each other the aerography should get variable colors. Imagine a ship covered in pink smoke. Who wouldn’t want to buy that?:slight_smile:

!!Bonus!! Background story:
The weapon got the ’Goo’ name because it looks like a swirling green putty. And what is this „goo”? It is made of gazillions of tiny nanobots infected by the Liu virus and spiced up with some alien „live crystal”. It is still not known how the virus or the live crystals work but one thing is for sure, these two has a lot in common. The Liu virus is some kind of an artificial virus that combines the traits of biological organisms and Ai systems in a conscious virus. Live crystals may also be something similar but a much more advanced version of it. Were these crystals created by an unknown race or are they a result of a natural process. And do Precursors have anything to do with these crystals or the aliens. How did cybers get into the picture? There are many questions waiting to be answered. Anyhow, the virus is very aggressive and acts like a conscious entity. It feels very comfortable in any computing system including the human brain. And it wants to survive and multiply. That is why it attacks the hull of the ships to create itself by consuming any material. However, it is not as stable as live crystals. The virus is so aggressive, it even consumes itself. Therefore it dies fast if there is no other material, a virus carrier, and that is what produces the black smoke. Basically, the smoke is millions and millions of dead nanobots.

This contest is all yours guys. I’m going to skip this one. Good luck all.

47 minutes ago, AdamWest said:

Listen honey, today I haven’t had the best of days” and he is just about to tell her what has happened when she starts crying and bursts out, “I saw Adam West die yesterday!”

Seriously tho,way to break the immersion,10/10.

1 hour ago, HBZK100 said:

I guess a standard page, usually around 1800 symbols. or?

This isn’t agricultural research…

Akaurl, do I have to post it directly in the forum or can I host it?

It would also be nice to know how much a “short” story is, I perceive a “normal” story to be 100 to 300 pages long. Talking about the story, does it have to be expository or can I make a narrative?

I hope mine is applicable enough. I just started typing and didn’t really have any particular theme. XD

1 hour ago, Chernoplot said:

It would also be nice to know how much a “short” story is, I perceive a “normal” story to be 100 to 300 pages long. Talking about the story, does it have to be expository or can I make a narrative?

Just go at it yo. Either way it can’t possibly be worse written than mine. XD

Its a fun contest so just have fun with it! ^^

Just to say that the more i was typing and creating my story the bigger it kept growing in my mind. So at some point you’ll see that i cut it short. Bam the end. I also had to go back and make some ramification to the whole thing to make it shorter and less descriptive.

It would have ended up being a 50 page story.

6 minutes ago, CptDoss said:

Just to say that the more i was typing and creating my story the bigger it kept growing in my mind. So at some point you’ll see that i cut it short. Bam the end. I also had to go back and make some ramification to the whole thing to make it shorter and less descriptive.

Same lol.

On 12/7/2016 at 0:48 PM, HBZK100 said:

On 12/7/2016 at 2:31 PM, QACinnamonTroll said:

I guess a standard page, usually around 1800 symbols. or?

On 12/7/2016 at 6:28 PM, Chernoplot said:

4 hours ago, CptDoss said:

*Cough* Salutations everyone ![:D](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/006j.png “:D”)

Seriously though for the love of god, MENTION THE COMPETITIONS IN GAME IN THE SPECIALS or in the star conflict news… I’ve missed a few and almost missed all the ones I didn’t miss… Wait what

You know,you can see the latest news in the standalone launcher,or check the main site,facebook,or the forums regularly…