Captain choice in 'Combat Recon'

I wonder why the in game poll has 20% of the votes on the first option when I see all the time people in the Global Chat complaining about clueless captains.

this makes no sense. if you’re tabbed out you can’t opt-out either.

Opt-out is optional, so it doesn’t matter if I’m tabbed out or not. Opt-in and voting both are not optional for the system to work, so there it does matter (and even those not tabbed out probably won’t bother to vote anyway). That’s my point.

Opt-out is for the exceptional cases where the captain doesn’t want to be captain (namely because all of his team is going to spawn in LRFs, or because he himself wants to synergize his 1/10 Mk.1 LRF or equally unsuitable ship, or because he’s been captain the last 10 rounds of this boring camper mode and wants some action for a change).

Opt-out is optional, so it doesn’t matter if I’m tabbed out or not. Opt-in and voting both are not optional for the system to work, so there it does matter (and even those not tabbed out probably won’t bother to vote anyway). That’s my point.

Opt-out is for the exceptional cases where the captain doesn’t want to be captain (namely because all of his team is going to spawn in LRFs, or because he himself wants to synergize his 1/10 Mk.1 LRF or equally unsuitable ship, or because he’s been captain the last 10 rounds of this boring camper mode and wants some action for a change).

Opt in woudl work exactly the same as an opt out. the only thing that changes is the expectation. 

If no-one opts in or no-one opts out the same thing would happen. we’re stuck with what we have no. the system has to draft someone as captain. if the person doesn’t want it, they either suck and lose the match for the team, or they DC and that causes a different set of issues. 

If someone opt-out. and everyone else on the team opts out, the same thing happens. except people who had the expectation of ‘i wont’ be captain now. I opted out’ will be screwed because they are forced into captain, even though they opted out. on the flip side, if only a few people opt out, it works like you’re envisioning. the people who are left are placed into a pool and captain is picked from them. because they either dont’ care if they are captain or they want to be captain 

if someone opt-in. they are placed into a pool of potential candidates. if everyone opt-in, we still have what we have now. except no-one is going to care if they get picked as captain. if only a few people opt in, the people who don’t want to be captain ‘did not opt in’ aren’t placed in the awkward position of being forced into it. 

like i said, it’s all in the expectation of what that button does. 

if you are refering to you can only opt out once you’ve been selected as captain, we’re back to the original point. a lot of people tab out or are afk while wating for a match to begin. 

voting, opt in, or opt out are all optional. it’s just placed on top of the current system to help narrow the pool, or at least prioritize who is selected. 

You can idealize and say that it’s for exceptional cases. but that’s not how people will use it. people can, and will, abuse any system in place to get what they want/as far as they can. 

it is possible to abuse an opt-out system. some people will opt out all the time, every time.  its a lot harder to abuse an opt-in. furthermore, if everyone does take the option to opt-in it doesn’t cause a negative connotation. 

a voting system, could be easily abused as well. which I have conceded it’s not a good system after further thought and discussion. 

of course, a more elegant solution would be to fix what’s wrong with the game mode and actually make it more fun where people don’t mind being captain or really really want to be captain. 

If it were left to me, i would change it from a ‘death match’ to something more objective based. such as only the captiain can pick up the bomb in demolition. or only the captain can capture beacons in domination. forcing t hem into a more active role and closer to the front line. a lot more people would be more likely to opt in in this case. or if things are left as they are, people are less likely to mind being picked as captain. it would promote more team play as well. this would also mean that the captain needs to be able to respawn. 

I wonder why the in game poll has 20% of the votes on the first option when I see all the time people in the Global Chat complaining about clueless captains.

Because, as my deleted comment pointed out, people just see a poll and vote Option A for the Gold without ever reading it. The Devs know this (because we’ve told them time and again for months) and yet they can’t be bothered putting “no opinion” as the first choice.

What if it picks captians based on the amounts of “up votes” you have based on your profile? 

What if it picks captians based on the amounts of “up votes” you have based on your profile? 

No, I’ve seen random players with 900-1100 DSR with over 300-400 votes and a negative Win/Loss ratio. 

And I’ve seen good players with less than 100 votes.

Also any player who took a break could never be captain because he would be out farmed by those casuals giving upvotes to each other because they’re in the same corp. I’ve seen 4 men squads being the 4 bottom efficiency scores giving upvotes to each other, really annoying if you ask me.

I recognice that I upvote my WPK mates, but only if they perform a good game in my opinion. I could have 500 of them if I just asked them to my mates, instead I only have like 2 hundred becuase we’re not spamming them.

Well that would certainly fix the up-voting problem :lol:

Just randomly pick from the 3 players with the highest ratings.

What do you do in a 3v3?  The 900 player gets it instead of the 1400 player?

I believe those are the clueless captains. Or, of course, people who don’t read the polls.

Which was why I would prefer to have the capt chosen from, let’s say, the top 25% of the team, or the top player if the team size is too small. Having the capt picked from the top three players or something like that means that in smaller matches, capt quality will decrease. An aggressive capt in a small match can easily mop up the enemy team.

Which was why I would prefer to have the capt chosen from, let’s say, the top 25% of the team, or the top player if the team size is too small. Having the capt picked from the top three players or something like that means that in smaller matches, capt quality will decrease. An aggressive capt in a small match can easily mop up the enemy team.

I agree.  I’ve had matches where I “stole” every kill for our team in a 3v3.

[http://forum.star-conflict.com/index.php?/topic/22469-disconnecting-to-avoid-being-captain/?p=253756](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/22469-disconnecting-to-avoid-being-captain/?p=253756)

Maybe the devs didn’t read the thread.  :sad:

I agree.  I’ve had matches where I “stole” every kill for our team in a 3v3.

[http://forum.star-conflict.com/index.php?/topic/22469-disconnecting-to-avoid-being-captain/?p=253756](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/22469-disconnecting-to-avoid-being-captain/?p=253756)

Maybe the devs didn’t read the thread.  :sad:

They probably do read the threads. but it’s one data point. there is the russian side of the discussion as well. the devs are russian, so it’s easier for them to get communication on that side. 

i dont’ know what the population is like. IE: volume of russian players vs EU/NA players. but like politics you have to protet your power base. if the majority of players are Russian than they need to listen to them more. 

i can’t read russian, and i’m not going to derp around with google translate to try to figure out what they are talking about over there, but it’s entirely possible that they have very different sensibilities about it. Having played many competitive games on different servers world wide, i can say for certain that different regions almost always employ different strategies. 

In anycase, CR is problematic. it seems the devs ‘fix’ for this is to adjust how the captain is picked. 

Why not a between the two ?

Something like : You can click on something to tell to the computer : “I want to be the captain” and then the men with the higher DSR become the captain ?

Well depends… In the lower tiers everyone will want to b cpt so they would obviously vote for themselves and ud b stuck with a cap that has no idea what hes doing

Current option is random? Yeah right. I went 3 in a row.

im actually not sure… I heard that they made it so the best 3 pilots r chosen and its at random from there, but i dont onow if they changed it back to random cuz ive played with idiot cpts with 900 skill points in t 3 looool (this guy had a hawk-eye and raptor mk|| to choose from and u know which one he chose,raptor mk||)

It is entirely possible, although the chance of this happening is very small. While I am rather bad with math, I think the chance of being the Captain 3 times in a row is something like a 3.7% chance?

Yeah, it is 3.7%.  Man, 3 in a row would suck if you don’t want captain.  I would say it to be lucky, though.

unless I missed something we are still operating under the previous patch implementation  ? 

New captain pick rules in ‘Combat Recon’
_The captain is chosen randomly from the 3 strongest pilots _

unless I missed something we are still operating under the previous patch implementation  ? 

New captain pick rules in ‘Combat Recon’

_The captain is chosen randomly from the 3 strongest pilots _

Yes, this is what’s currently in place. 

If you want to be NOT captain, Have your SR below 1200. Lol. Cause Im about to hit the 1400 mark…aka the “No Life” zone. 

I like being captain only if A. I have my ECM equipped. and B. If I feel like it. Because I like moving up and forcing my team to protect my greek butt.  

Since I’m levelling ships when I fly rather than being “serious” I pretty much never want to be cap. I rarely have a suitable ship.