Captain choice in 'Combat Recon'

Which of those options do you think is optimal?

Maybe you use something like this:

1: Identify the highest rating player, add him to the list of possible captains

2: add everyone within 200 rating of the captain with the following exceptions:

if there less than 3 within 200 rating of the captain, add the top 3 players regardless of rating to the pool of possible captains

if there are more than 6, only add the top 6 ratings to the pool of possible captains.

3: assign each player in the pool a % chance for selection proportional to their rating.

1. roll the dice and select the captain 15 seconds before match starts.

but maybe this is too complicated or unnecessarily complicated. Just an idea, product of 5 minutes of thinking. Thought I’d suggest something like a good beta tester.

Or just simplify it to pick one of the top 3 players. That would work too.

There should be a minimum of 3 Players who can be selected as captain. Those Players with the highes Ratings should be highlighted and aprox. 15 seconds before game start, the game chooses on out of those randomly.

In Matches with => 6 Pilots, it should always be the player with the highest rating.

Just randomly pick from the 3 players with the highest ratings.

None of the options in the poll (voted for 3rd regardless). Instead add opt-out buttons, then choose the pilots with the highest rating who hasn’t opted out. If everyone opts out, do it randomly or pick highest regardless, doesn’t really matter.

Another idea: it would be interesting to see if you add a voting system for captain and maybe also display pilot’s upvote points besides dsr when choosing.

Like the majority, I picked choice 3 (chosen randomly among highest rating) but the idea of an “opt-out” button might be usefull : sometimes, you just do not have the ship that makes you an interesting captain… In the same time, I wonder if  some ships are totally incompatible with being captain (maybe brand new unfitted and unstuffed ships)?

But, then, some would always freak out, no ?

Maybe you use something like this:

1: Identify the highest rating player, add him to the list of possible captains

2: add everyone within 200 rating of the captain with the following exceptions:

if there less than 3 within 200 rating of the captain, add the top 3 players regardless of rating to the pool of possible captains

if there are more than 6, only add the top 6 ratings to the pool of possible captains.

3: assign each player in the pool a % chance for selection proportional to their rating.

1. roll the dice and select the captain 15 seconds before match starts.

but maybe this is too complicated or unnecessarily complicated. Just an idea, product of 5 minutes of thinking. Thought I’d suggest something like a good beta tester.

Or just simplify it to pick one of the top 3 players. That would work too.

This or random from the top N. I don’t think we would notice the difference.

Yes top 3 players, but each player has the option to opt out

Yes top 3 players, but each player has the option to opt out

an opt out button is great, in theory. the only problem with it, is that people who are new (t2 specifically) may not know to opt out. while there are advantages to having your best players able to attack the enemy captain, rarely do those people actually help their own captain. there are two big aspects to this game mode afterall. some players expect the captain to protect themselves. but if 3 interceptors warp in just about anyone is going to have a hard time. 

In my experience, i only see ‘idiot’ captains in early tiers. T2 especially. rarely in T3. almost never in T4+. once you get to a certain point you can hold your own in all game types. 

There is ample time before the match for a team to vote for a captain. this would facilitate at least some level of communication before a match. which i think is a practice that should be encouraged. this system has the potential to cause more problems. if everyone opts out, and then someone gets picked anyway after opting out. they will complain and moan. this isn’t good for anyone, especially for the people who don’t want to be captain. an opt out button also wouldn’t solve the issue with people intentionally DCing to avoid being captain. 

I believe the best way for selecting captain would be to have a vote function. if the vote does not provide a captain (no-one votes, or there is a tie) than either it selects randomly between the tie or selects randomly from everyone available. 

Also. if they could somehow make being captain more interesting, that would be nice. the only bad thing about being captain is having to sit in the back of the map and derp around for a while. the last time i was captain, i spent 80% of the time ramming an asteroid and saying ‘omnomnomnom’ in voice chat because someone commented my ship (Jerry guard frigate) looked like a bottom feeder. 

How about going the other direction … make it random but exclude those with SR below 1000.       

I for one found it to be more action when we had the Highest rating being Capts… there were more upfront intense battles… 

Now we are back to RANDOMs there seems to be alot of going back as stated  " the only bad thing about being captain is having to sit in the back of the map and derp around for a while "

Without diving into the merits of being up forward or staying in the back …    

Though I will say I am not fond of the opposing team being right on top of your SPAWN area…   Nothing worse than spawing and having the entire opposing team taking pot shots and draining you down  before you can even take cover. 

an opt out button also wouldn’t solve the issue with people intentionally DCing to avoid being captain. 

Huh? Of course it would, I’d rather click a button than restart my client. And if the team votes for me to be captain (on what basis?) and I don’t want to I’ll dc anyway so you’re no better off than before.

Opt-out please.

Huh? Of course it would, I’d rather click a button than restart my client. And if the team votes for me to be captain (on what basis?) and I don’t want to I’ll dc anyway so you’re no better off than before.

Opt-out please.

short sighted :confused:

if everyone clicks opt-out, and you’re picked anyway (because you’re pro and at the top of the list) than you’re restarting. 

Typically if someone says they don’t want to do something, the rest of the team is accommodating. people want to win. and you win more often when people are doing what they want. 

Furthermore, if you ask people not to vote for you and they do anyway, that is harassment. which can be handled differently. completely different discussion. 

It’s more of a problem when someone DCs to avoid being captian, and then captain switches in the middle of a match. that shoudl be worked out before the match start and in a way taht will most likely prevent problems in the match itself (people intentionally DCing)

the only thing i’m getting out of what you’re saying, is you dont’ want to be bothered to talk to your team before a match. you’d rather press a button, and pray not eveyrone else also hits the same button. 

Here’s a wild idea; scrap CR from normal play. Replace it with Deathmatch.

CR becomes SQ only, and Captain is chosen by the team voting - highest votes becomes Captain (if tied, choose randomly from highest votes).

This way, squads / wings can queue with a designated Captain, who they vote for if the mode comes up, and the rest of the “normal” players don’t get hassled by the mode anymore - half the pugs can’t understand it isn’t a deathmatch anyway.

short sighted :confused:

if everyone clicks opt-out, and you’re picked anyway (because you’re pro and at the top of the list) than you’re restarting. 

Typically if someone says they don’t want to do something, the rest of the team is accommodating. people want to win. and you win more often when people are doing what they want. 

Furthermore, if you ask people not to vote for you and they do anyway, that is harassment. which can be handled differently. completely different discussion.

Unlikely. I want to be captain most of the time. And when have you ever seen pre-battle communication of more than a single person? I typically don’t even alt-tab back into the client before the battle hasn’t started (or not event hen, queue times can be so long I forget I’m even queued…).

CR becomes SQ only, and Captain is chosen by the team voting - highest votes becomes Captain (if tied, choose randomly from highest votes).

This way, squads / wings can queue with a designated Captain, who they vote for if the mode comes up, and the rest of the “normal” players don’t get hassled by the mode anymore - half the pugs can’t understand it isn’t a deathmatch anyway.

This makes sense. I can get behind this. 

death match would be a lot more fun too. 

Unlikely. I want to be captain most of the time. And when have you ever seen pre-battle communication of more than a single person? I typically don’t even alt-tab back into the client before the battle hasn’t started (or not event hen, queue times can be so long I forget I’m even queued…).

pre-match communication varies. in CBT i saw it a lot more. i see it a lot less now. 

if you want to be captain, and you volunteer, people will vote for you. that’s the whole point. and i think there are more people that think like you than you think. I too would often volunteer to be captain, because at least then i know the captain isn’t an idiot. i can take responsibility for that.

alt-tabbing out is the exact reason an opt-out wouldn’t work. i think a lot of people do that. so if everyone opts out than you have teh same issue as before. 

furthermore, if someone does want to be captain,e ven with an opt out they may not get captain. 

maybe an opt-in would be better. 

alt-tabbing out is the exact reason an opt-out wouldn’t work. i think a lot of people do that. so if everyone opts out than you have teh same issue as before. 

furthermore, if someone does want to be captain,e ven with an opt out they may not get captain. 

maybe an opt-in would be better.

If I’m alt-tabbed out I can neither vote nor opt-in. that’s why opt-out is better. But we can have the argument ad nauseam, let’s just see what the devs come up with.

I wish I could upvote more than once. This is a good idea, it would make corp battles really interesting, with the CEO (or not) as captain everything would be much more intense and fun Imo. Also corp squads could carry the lone players easier because they would chose one of the squad as capt, and play like the squad they are without worrying about a random player as captain.

If I’m alt-tabbed out I can neither vote nor opt-in. that’s why opt-out is better. But we can have the argument ad nauseam, let’s just see what the devs come up with.

this makes no sense. if you’re tabbed out you can’t opt-out either. 

we can argue for forever. but i’m not trying to argue. i’m trying to discuss. 

if voting doesn’t work (and it likely wouldn’t work as i envision) and opt-out has too many problems (and it does) an opt-in would make sense. 

Jasan’s point makes the most sense to me. but that may not happen either. 

an opt-in would make more sense than an opt-out. 

namely because of expectation. if no-one opts in, than the system can do what it does now. this would require minimal changes to current code. if anyone opts in, than the system can randomly pick from those people.

however if someone opts out and they are picked anyway how that makes the player feel can be detrimental to the experience. not just for him, but for everyone else on his team. an opt out implies you will never be picked. but if everyone does this that’s not true. so there is a chance this button becomes useless. an opt-in button doesn’t have this restriction. 

No, no, no, Thousands times No.

The mode itself is boring, and in organized play it promotes defencive play, it will be stupidly boring. In any organized vs organized group 5v5+ it is gonna be next to impossible to kill a captain unless the game is totally one sided, the will be no fun, 12 minutes of mid range from behind the asteroid pew-pewing? I pass.

The whole game is balanced around Capture the Beacon mode, all classes and roles are created in mind for this mode, because of that Capture the Beacon should be the only “sessioned” mode for the high organized groups, modes with unlimited respawns and choke points shall be left for “random” PvP "fun