Attack drone needs nerf

I think the engineer attack drones are far too powerful. A couple of facts:

1. They are too “smart”. It sometimes feels like you didn’t even lock onto the target and they still pursue it. It happened during combat recon that the captain became visible to me for just a fraction of a second and then hid back behind a rock but my attack drones still went there and killed him…so either a bug for captain recon style or quite an impressive ability.

1. 892 dmg/s/drone. That’s 892 dmg*2=1784 dmg/s from 2 drones. This of course is free damage for the engi player unlike other players that have to aim and hit. You launch the drones and forget about it.

1. 10,000m range and after they finish with a target they go to the next. That definitely beats a missile that can easily be diverted with flares or shot down. With a drone like this you get multiple uses out of it.

1. These drones are too hard to hit/kill. Yes! It should not take more than 1-1.5 secs to kill one. And this applies to all guns even the crappiest ones. If it takes 2-3 seconds to shoot down it’s too much. 2-3 seconds for an interceptor is life especially with 2 drones to take care of which do 900 dmg/s each.

First I think the attack drone locking should be investigated. The damage dealt by an attack drone should be halved because you get 2 of them. This should give interceptors some fighting chance because they have to deal with defense drones as well as the main ship weapons. Or the damage of the attack drone could be capped like the sentry drone from the tackler. Lets say it has limited ammunition…

Thoughts?

you cant hit them with coil mortars unless the drone is into a wall and the exlposion damage hits.

also location detectors cant be hit by coil mortars and really hard to hit with anything else aswell. excludes singularity cannon.

should be increased in size. if you put attack drones after a guard, the guard will have them swarming around him until they are shot down by teammates,  unless you use lasers or heavy blaster / positron cannon. 

when they have started shooting they are swaming around you and are much harder to hit again. 

I’d like a range reduction only so mine don’t fly too far way.  Knowing which weapon to use kills them swiftly.

Also, to be used to their full potential, drones need micromanaged unlike missiles.  It’s one of those cases where they’re OP in good hands and pathetic in bad hands.

Easy fix for the coils:  Simply make it so it explodes when it gets close. (Like when you’re usually firing at another ship. for example.)

Drones need a locked target to work, if not, they will retreat to the mother engie.

A well placed missile will kill them along with the orbiting drones in any engie if they are in standby.

You can kill them.

They have traveling speed, and a slow one tbh.

No, they are not unbalanced. I fear more an octopus salvo than two drones. Although drones are a nice zone deny weapon.

What I don’t like is that they keep going at you even if the engineer lost his lock on you.

What I don’t like is that they keep going at you even if the engineer lost his lock on you.

Nope, if the engineer has lost the lock, they return back. But if the engineer is close, then they will start fighting anyway in the “stand by” mode.

Ah so they shoot at close enemies then? That explains it.

Ah so they shoot at close enemies then? That explains it.

Yep. if the engi has no target locked, the drones are in standby close to him, and will fire at any incoming enemy, like the engineering drones. In fact, a nice way to kill them all is to fire a missile or a rocket to the engy before he can lock on you. With a bit of luck you will kill all drones in one shot.

Really, if you have a problem with an interceptor 1:1 vs Engee thats hardcore.

The Interceptor has a tons of more mobility, the engee should NEVER be able to shoot at Interceptor with Main Gun.

Usualy the skilled interceptor does the following:

1. Use extreme mobility to approach engee from behind.

2. AOE the engee using plasmabow or similar

==> all def drones are dead

1. dances around the engee till engee is dead without getting 1 hit at all…

So the good interceptor kills the engee almost unharmed.

The unskilled interceptor:

1. approaches the engee frontal from 5000 distance.

2. gets fired by engee with positron and interceptor is on 50 % struture till it approaches the engee

3. Engee has attack drones locked on interceptor

4. engee kills interceptor unharmed

Problem is if you balance the unskilled interceptor to the engee, then the engee is dead…

Really, if you have a problem with an interceptor 1:1 vs Engee thats hardcore.

The Interceptor has a tons of more mobility, the engee should NEVER be able to shoot at Interceptor with Main Gun.

Usualy the skilled interceptor does the following:

==> all def drones are dead

1. dances around the engee till engee is dead without getting 1 hit at all…

So the good interceptor kills the engee almost unharmed.

The unskilled interceptor:

1. approaches the engee frontal from 5000 distance.

2. gets fired by engee with positron and interceptor is on 50 % struture till it approaches the engee

3. Engee has attack drones locked on interceptor

4. engee kills interceptor unharmed

Problem is if you balance the unskilled interceptor to the engee, then the engee is dead…

Then you find a Styx…

Ah yeah dancing around a Styx… It’s like a rave, you start at night and you finish at dawn.

Ah yeah dancing around a Styx… It’s like a rave, you start at night and you finish at dawn.

Sure, the problem is the styx most likely will have friends. And they will be very annoyed with you because you are trying to kill their star go-go dancer…

==> all def drones are deadget killed by a torpedo to the face

FTFY, at least if you try that on my engineers

Sure, the problem is the styx most likely will have friends. And they will be very annoyed with you because you are trying to kill their star go-go dancer…

Wait, so you want as interceptor be able to kill a Fregatte protected by “friends”??

now it gets unreasonable…

FTFY, at least if you try that on my engineers

same question, the engee has either attack drones, or cruise missiles, bot not both…

And if you talk about an “external” torpedo we again discuss the need for an interceptor to handle engee + torpedo LRF

reasonable request?

same question, the engee has either attack drones, or cruise missiles, bot not both…

And if you talk about an “external” torpedo we again discuss the need for an interceptor to handle engee + torpedo LRF

reasonable request?

I’m talking about EM torpedo; you need to get out of tier 2 if you don’t know them.

Wait, so you want as interceptor be able to kill a Fregatte protected by “friends”??

now it gets unreasonable…

This is not a solo game, it is a team based game. And yes, I can kill a LRF or any engineer (except the styx) with a cov ops between their friends and with a bit of luck, escape unharmed.

Wat8.jpg

IMO, Frigates should be able to defend themselves at least a little bit vs a close range interceptor/fighter.  Not being able to get a single shot off would piss most people off, myself included.  I rarely go down without getting a shot off, and this makes my deaths more worthwhile.  If I go down, at least I had damaged the enemy slightly, and perhaps that’s all that I needed to do.  Usually, it’s not, but sometimes the most you can do as a frig pilot is deal splash damage with the CM, spam the HB and hope for a kill, or try sniping with the PC.  Having drones gives the engie the short-range protection that they need to stay alive, as well as giving the engie a chance to kill a hit-and-run interceptor/fighter.  Keep in mind that their cooldown is pretty significant, so if you destroy an engie’s drones at the right time, you’ll have a pretty easy time killing it.  But come on, guys, don’t expect to take down an engie in an inty when he’s in the middle of the entire team.  No one wants to lose him, so you’re going to be everyone’s target.  In games where kills matter, this is the worst thing you can do.  End rant.

Keep in mind that their cooldown is pretty significant, so if you destroy an engie’s drones at the right time, you’ll have a pretty easy time killing it.

That’s one of the catches about the drones.  You spawn at launch, and by the time they’re blown up the cooldown’s done!