Allow Afterburner Feathering

A simple suggestion to allow us to feather our afterburners to allow greater average speed while allowing energy to still regenerate.

A simple way to do this would be to remove the “ignition cost” of afterburners that eats up a bunch of energy before you actually start speeding up.

it makes sense to me… +1 on that ![:012j:](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/012j.png “:012j:”).

Oh yeah like this idea, till s1 uses it against me.

So i could afterburn tap and manuveur easier in any cruise build effectively negating the rotation debuff. Plus any number of other advantages this offers.

This ‘simple’ suggestion has equally simple ways for it to be abused by people who know what they are doing. Commands, all inties, tacklers and anything running adaptive spring to mind.

6 minutes ago, JCNB said:

Oh yeah like this idea, till s1 uses it against me.

So i could afterburn tap and manuveur easier in any cruise build effectively negating the rotation debuff. Plus any number of other advantages this offers.

This ‘simple’ suggestion has equally simple ways for it to be abused by people who know what they are doing. Commands, all inties, tacklers and anything running adaptive spring to mind.

Poor thing. You’ll have to deal with more chicken tacklers.

Oh well.

I would like the for the after burner to not re engage after I fun out of energy. I used to still hold the key and when the energy was out after burner would not reengage until i released the shift key and presses again. I looked int he settings recently and seen the option was gone to reactivate burners and and off.

Allowing an intensity for after burners is a good idea. Not sure what key we can map it to, so its possible only a few will use it.

On 9/13/2016 at 10:42 PM, TheDarkRedFox said:

A simple suggestion to allow us to feather our afterburners to allow greater average speed while allowing energy to still regenerate.

A simple way to do this would be to remove the “ignition cost” of afterburners that eats up a bunch of energy before you actually start speeding up.

You guys just want feather feature to keep that adaptive thing going xD

If they allow for afterburner feathering, there should be an ignition cost if anything so that people don’t spam it so much. But I would definitely like to see this implemented.

And if it is, all will fear my Wolf-M even more than already so ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”)

I can already do this with my inti ;p

Not how I suggest though. Go pop over to a game called “Moon Breakers” and just fly their starter ships for a minute or so and you’ll see what I mean. It’s an old and dead game but it is good for examples. It’s where I started out. ^^

You can either put the pedal to the metal so to speak, or lightly tap the afterburners intermittently for a higher average speed with lower fuel usage. Currently in Star Conflict, your afterburners are either on or off. With what I propose, the velocity curve would be much smoother when using afterburners.

What is exactly suggested? I probably didn’t get it( To make start smoother?

On 13.09.2016 at 10:12 PM, TheDarkRedFox said:

remove the “ignition cost” of afterburners that eats up a bunch of energy before you actually start speeding up.

If this is it, I think it requires to rebalance the whole game with it, like every ship. And this is lots of work

The activation cost of cruise engine is … not so good.
That’s one thing.
The other is the speed of afterburner.
@Fox: You misunderstood the afterburner.
The energy cost is improved acceleration.
@Cin:
There are 2 options:
A) You allow better use of afterburner speed. Mean depending how much you touch the afterburner the speed and energy cost varies.
B) You make the afterburner costs depending on the actual speed(bit unrealistic as you ‘full’ use the afterburner). ba) Meaning
Example: Max speed: 300 Afterburner 360 energycost afterburner: 100
ba)
→ 320 speed mean 34 energy cost because (320-300)/(360-300)*100
bb)
→ 320 speed mean 89 energy cost because 320/360*100.

the activation cost of cruise is absolutely okay. It should be hard to fly in battle. And it doesn’t work on every ship.

Getting used to stop tapping on a cruise build is part of the process.

Why should higher speeds have higher energy usage, that doesnt make sense, it would make Feds be at a disadvantage. If your ship is heavy and slow, you just dont get the same amount of speed for the same energy used.

what does feather mean in this context?

5 minutes ago, theNoob said:

what does feather mean in this context?

It means tap repeatedly for short durations without extra draw. At the moment every press consumes a large amount of energy and then proceeds to use up more per second. This suggestion is essentially “remove afterburner activation cost”.

And no this wouldn’t mean anything new for cruise engines, it would just allow people to activate them with less than half fuel without immediately depleting all energy.

59 minutes ago, TheDarkRedFox said:

It means tap repeatedly for short durations without extra draw. At the moment every press consumes a large amount of energy and then proceeds to use up more per second. This suggestion is essentially “remove afterburner activation cost”.

And no this wouldn’t mean anything new for cruise engines, it would just allow people to activate them with less than half fuel without immediately depleting all energy.

Or those people get their brains out of their rear engine, and build ship accordingly to their demands.

thank you…strange english language

Instead of removing completely the ignition cost, we can think of dividing it over 1.5 second.