Remove Pilot Rating

This rating is rather bizarre, i’m not sure what its meant to achieve. The rating has no real indicator of pilot skill, nor does it achieve greater purpose than other stats in the profile. From my observations the rating is primarily influenced by rank of ship you’re flying, not pilot skill. I did a test where i played a higher rank ship than what i normally fly and my rating went up large amounts every game, regardless of win or player performance. I then played my normal rank 9 ships, carry games and do extremely well and only gain 20 points. If i failed to do an insane amount within the t3 game i would lose large amounts. I’m sure most people have already noted the complete untrusted worthiness of this rating. 

Leaving it in the game only discourages experienced pilots from playing with new players. The player base isn’t large enough to support such an end. I’ve been playing for a few weeks and i struggle to find experienced players to fly against. If most of my games i can’t distinguish between players and bots, i’m going to lose motivation to improve. As it stands t3 feels like the most balanced point in the game, its also at the right intersection for new players to really start to look at improving piloting skills.  

While i was setting out on my experience with Star Conflict i noted the pilot rating and wanted to improve it. At some point i noticed it would regularly go down when i played well, it made it feel like i was being punished for playing PVP. My mood really got down when i realised the effort i put into improve my rating was for nought. I could just fly a higher ship and earn 200 rating by doing very little. I would like to see it removed, ideally replaced with something useful but that would be a perfect world.    

I honestly still have no idea what pilot rating is or what it does so I’m kind of indifferent on the topic I guess.

I do remember hearing about ship ranks affecting some rating a while ago, but it doesn’t get you anything so I’m not sure why it’s even there.

59 minutes ago, TheDarkRedFox said:

I honestly still have no idea what pilot rating is or what it does so I’m kind of indifferent on the topic I guess.

I do remember hearing about ship ranks affecting some rating a while ago, but it doesn’t get you anything so I’m not sure why it’s even there.

The only thing pilot rating _ can _ get you is the week long temporary titles from leaderboards (Top Gun, Legend, Flawless). However pilot rating  literally  indicates nothing as even in Dreadnought matches against full bot matches it still is counted as PvP and will bump your rating up.
As for what goes on with rating, it goes up the higher rank ships you use with the only times it will relatively go up being if you frequent max rank ships (the maximum rank you have access to) with 8k - 8.5k being extremely easy to maintain even if you solo queue dreads. Using lower rank ships will drop your rating drastically depending on the rank difference between your maximum and how lower rank ships you are using with using rank 7 and under ships when you have access to rank 17 ships dropping rating over 200 no matter how well you perform in battle.

Why did Devs replace the old ESR with Pilot Rating ?

The only downside to the ELO system they had was that it discouraged top players from making high risk moves (like taking objectives lol) but that only stopped a tiny few. Ace pilots still flew like the devil.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:32 AM, Kine_ said:

The only downside to the ELO system they had was that it discouraged top players from making high risk moves (like taking objectives lol) but that only stopped a tiny few. Ace pilots still flew like the devil.

I would argue that a system that discourages players to go for objectives, and encourages to only ever pick fights they knew, they would survive is worse than the stupid stuff we have right now. ELO makes sense for 1v1’s scenarios.

Ya - I’m not saying one is better than the other. They’re both bad in different ways.

My personal peev right now with Pilot Rating is:

1. When I decide to unlock lower ranked ship lines I skipped in the past my Rating will nose dive.

eg. I have R15 Gunship and R14 Engineer. But my Command line is still R8. Pilot Rating is practically forcing me to farm Skirmish for days.

1. Corp I’m in wants to battle for Tier 3 sectors coz casuals. Pilot Rating LOVES that.

On the plus side, this new system isn’t too punishing for support pilots. Old system was just horrible for Healers and Tacklers etc.