Remove IR Flares

IR Flares are a module that only appear on bots and stock ships these days. Now it’s more acceptable to take the hit than to waste an active module slot. Instead of keeping it as a useless item that sees no real use, it should instead be given to all ships as a standard ability.

All ships should be given a new key bind “Flare” and an indicator next to modules/missiles or manually placed that shows how many flares you have, as well as cooldown and recharge.

I also propose a change to their functionality.

Instead of simply breaking lock with the missile, they should be given more chance, and more variants. If it has a 50% chance to break lock, and you have 10 missiles on you, about 5 missiles will lose their lock. Etc.

All flares should be able to cause very minor thermal damage to ships that hit them, just to add realism.

Name: IR Flares (stock flares on every ship, if no other flare module is placed in the flares slot.)

Max charges: 5

Charge restoration: 20 seconds

Cooldown: 3 seconds

Tooltip: Fires standard-issue IR flares that have a 75% chance to break the lock of any missile locked on to you.

Name: Heavy Flares

Max changes: 3

Charge restoration: 20 seconds

Cooldown: 5 seconds

Tooltip: Fires a large flare that breaks the lock of 100% of missiles locked on to you.

Name: Smart Flares

Damage: 350/s thermal for 4 seconds

Max charges: 3

Charge restoration: 25 seconds

Tooltip: Fires a hi-tech flare with automated flight path determination. Flare locks on to a random enemy within 2,500m and draws 75% of missiles locked on to you to them.

Name: Phantom Dodge

Max Charges: 3

Tooltip: Shifts the ship out of phase for 1 second just before missile impact, allowing it to pass through without causing harm.

Name: Radio Shield

Max charges: 3

Tooltip: Causes all rockets and missiles that come within 900m of you to detonate. Lasts for 5 seconds.

Name: Compact Flares

Max charges: 10

Charge restoration: 15 seconds

Cooldown: 1 second

Tooltip: Launches a small flare that has a 50% chance to break the lock of any missiles locked on to you.

Alternative flare modules can be found in loot of ships destroyed in any open space sector, and cannot be upgraded.

But but, its my main thing on cy…

50 minutes ago, ORCA1911 said:

But but, its my main thing on cy…

This’ll save you an active slot then

28 minutes ago, TheDarkRedFox said:

This’ll save you an active slot then

the main purpose of flares is to trigger 8-2 and not the actual flare effect

16 minutes ago, xKostyan said:

the main purpose of flares is to trigger 8-2 and not the actual flare effect

Maybe that’s mechanic abuse then?

Jk I know I used to use that too, till I got the hull regenerator module thingy that has like 24 second recharge.

I use the flares on my Tai’Kin to use the 8-2 as well, saved me a bunch of times, it even works against the engine hack now, I think, it gives you a window to use the teleports to get out of the tackler-ecm situations.

Flares are really an important thing for me, missile-wise and crew wise since i prefer to be dodgy than speedy ![:D](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/006j.png “:D”)

Easy fix to your single issue with this: make the flares apply 8-2 in this way as well.

44 minutes ago, TheDarkRedFox said:

Easy fix to your single issue with this: make the flares apply 8-2 in this way as well.

And you don’t see a problem with that?

1 hour ago, xKostyan said:

And you don’t see a problem with that?

I see many problems with this, but y’all just love to complain.

1 hour ago, TheDarkRedFox said:

I see many problems with this, but y’all just love to complain.

If you can’t handle a critique of your ideas than keep them to yourself.

46 minutes ago, xKostyan said:

If you can’t handle a critique of your ideas than keep them to yourself.

That why we never see suggestions by you?

4 minutes ago, TheDarkRedFox said:

That why we never see suggestions by you?

Suggestions are aimed at developers, it does not matter if you (or public) sees my suggestions or not.

4 minutes ago, xKostyan said:

Suggestions are aimed at developers, it does not matter if you (or public) sees my suggestions or not.

Then why do you care so much about mine

9 minutes ago, TheDarkRedFox said:

Then why do you care so much about mine

Because it is easier to cut the problem at the root than dealing with it after, takes less effort too.