Relation of Volume and Resistance

I was wondering about a good combination of shield volume and resistance. For example, if you have three shield slots, should you increase the volume or rather the resistance? Or should you combine somehow? Normally i already put my crew on resistance, so i thought about putting some volume through modules. Same goes for hull. 

Specifically i have that Question for the Sword AE, wich has three shield slots. Atm I took resistance for al three attack forms, but it somehow seems a bit boring.

Removed by Author 

You want to go with resistance but if you have equipped your ship with high resist (50%+) and you still have slots left over you might want to add in more volume or maybe use a passive for energy / speed etc. Also look at your ships bonuses / faction and try to cater to those strengths if possible. For example it does not make much sense to put triple adaptive shields on a jericho guard unless you are in a trololo mood

Resistance should always come first. This is not to say volume is not important. For instance, in a jericho guard, using 1 resist module and 2 volume modules can work extremely well, provided that you know how to use the phase shield wisely.

Quick caveat; when people talk about resistance, they almost always mean all-type resistances. Galvanised Armour or Adaptive Shield. Equipping a Thermal Resist module does nothing against Kinetic or EM damage, for example. If the choice is between upping resistances against a single damage type, or upping your total volume, it might be worth upping volume (at least until you get a good feel for the metagame - if you can predict what kind of damage is going to come your way, or be the most threat to you, then resist against that).

Generally speaking, Thermal is the most common damage.

Raise two types or resistances and put one aux shield on it. I would dare to say that an optimal all-rounder solution.

I couldnt use 3 resists, I’d rather use 2 resists and a regen.

I couldnt use 3 resists, I’d rather use 2 resists and a regen.

2 resists and volume works far better than 2 resists and regen (assuming we are talking guards here).

For jericho ceptors, I normally use triple adaptives, or 2 adaptives and 1 resist.

For jericho commands, I find that 2 resists and an aux shield works wonders, or 3 resists.

Well guards obv volume.

I was primarily talking about Jerry tacklers.

Well guards obv volume.

I was primarily talking about Jerry tacklers.

ew, jeri tacklers.

I’d still do 2 resists and 1 volume…

Quite an elaborate explanation thread from an Grumpy Blank Blank :004j:

[http://forum.star-conflict.com/index.php?showtopic=24645#entry286916](< base_url >/index.php?showtopic=24645#entry286916)

Unluckily i am too stupid to underastand it really. I have a question. Lets say i have three shield slots and wanna use adaptive shielding. Is it better two use three adaptive or two and a auliliary shield generator for volume? 

probably not the best idea, but i always go for shield volume. 

my logic:

i have the special module so i can solo other guards and ppl who deal all one type of damage.

i have shield booster

and i have shield adapter to boost resist.

for my hull, i have the implant that gives me +75 resist. (this only works for high rank guards)

I haven’t met a t3 guard that my blood tormentor couldn’t beat even though it’s not purple so i guess there’s something to it. 

Unluckily i am too stupid to underastand it really. I have a question. Lets say i have three shield slots and wanna use adaptive shielding. Is it better two use three adaptive or two and a auliliary shield generator for volume? 

3 adaptives. if they are purple use 2 and a volume module. That’s me though.

Well, you typically don’t want to use 3 adaptives anyways, but that’s because if you get slowed, you’re dead. If you have two or three ways to escape slows (say, 2x multipurpose plus some manner of invisibility, or a stun), then you’ll be okay, but otherwise, just do 2x and another resist.

Adaptive shields are a hull tanking module, believe it or not. Shield volume can help you, too, since it definitely boosts your shield tank, too, but all other things being equal, more hull volume will go further than more shield volume.

But that’s a practical answer to a theoretical question. I’m not actually sure about the actual answer, but I think the volume does more than a third adaptive. For shields, anyhow.

It all depends on what ship you are flying. I wouldn’t recommend doing adaptives at all on a jericho fighter or frigate.

For interceptors, I usually do 3 adaptives, but like statue said, tackler slows can be devastating.

For jericho fighters that have 3 shield slots, I recommend 2 resists (normally EM and therm) and a volume module.

For jericho frigates, I have tended to use 1 shield projection splitter and 2 resists. This way you get a good balance of volume and resistance. Using all volume tends to work out poorly, because if you are attacked by multiple damage sources, or ion emitters, you will melt quickly.

In general, resistance is more important than volume.