How Everyone Around Me (It seems like) is winning.

Basically, I’m playing in T2-3, but I can’t go a match without at least one or two people from either KSB or ESB (Mostly KSB) These KSB players then continue to completely destroy us without even thinking. It has made it so that I either have to live with a Win/Loss ratio of >1, or start playing against Aces in lower tiers, so I’ve made a “guide” on how to win like those above mentioned are (no intended offense):

Step 1: Get a maxed out ship (full purples or Mk. V) or a premium maxed out 1-2 tiers below your highest tier.

Step 2: Enter PVP match.

Step 3: Hope you don’t face squads of KSB, ESB, WPK, etc.

Step 4: Destroy all Aces

Step 5: Wait for Aces to spawn, capture all beacons, etc.

REPEAT.

Basically, I’m playing in T2-3, but I can’t go a match without at least one or two people from either KSB or ESB (Mostly KSB) These KSB players then continue to completely destroy us without even thinking. It has made it so that I either have to live with a Win/Loss ratio of >1, or start playing against Aces in lower tiers, so I’ve made a “guide” on how to win like those above mentioned are (no intended offense):

Step 1: Get a maxed out ship (full purples or Mk. V) or a premium maxed out 1-2 tiers below your highest tier.

REPEAT.

Step 1: Fit your ships well

Step 2: Squad up with your friends/corp mates

Step 3: Practise together, learn tactics, ask veterans for help

Step 4: Go to PVP and win

Or make guides for yourself and keep fear from squads.

Step 1: Fit your ships well

Step 2: Squad up with your friends/corp mates

Step 3: Practise together, learn tactics, ask veterans for help

Step 4: Go to PVP and win

Or make guides for yourself and keep fear from squads.

Or there’s an even simpler solution, XD:

57090538.jpg

Removed by Author 

you have two options.

1.) Exploit them when they’re pre-occupied, fit ships properly, use ships for their intended purposes, push ships to the max.

2.) Continue to fail

As James has said, communication is key. Not necessarily in battle, but outside it.

I’ve had plenty of people throw accusations my way of cheating, or only winning because of my Pay to Win Premium ships. But sometimes I actually get a chance to talk with them beyond the hurling insults stage and what it invariably boils down to is them not understanding how to equip their ships, how to fly their ships, how to read the ebb-and-flow of the match, and simply how not to die.

All of these are skills that must be learned if you want to make yourself felt. You need to learn to predict what’s going to happen next in a game and act accordingly. If I fire missiles at an ECM, I expect him to activate Metastable Field to scrub them. If I see a fast moving Tackler, I expect him to pop drones and bolt. If the next beacon activates in 20-30 seconds I know I need to be moving for it so I get there when it goes live, and I expect a swarm of Recons to warp in for a quick capture.

You watch the more experienced players in action, it’s a good bet they know what’s likely to happen in any given situation. It may seem like they’re just stupidly lucky when they take on eight people at once and live, but odds are there’s no luck involved - they’ll have seen an opening and know they can get in, exploit it and flee before anyone can punish them for it.

So my advice to you is simple - ditch the LRF, get out of spawn, and start learning the state of play. Get stuck in close to the front line and try to get a feel for how it all works. Get a feel for when you can stand and fight and when you have to run. Learning how not to die is an important skill. And learn to capture beacons! If you aren’t capping, you’re useless to your team. No exceptions. Better you have 3-4 captures and 0 kills than the other way around.

So my advice to you is simple - ditch the LRF, get out of spawn, and start learning the state of play. Get stuck in close to the front line and try to get a feel for how it all works. Get a feel for when you can stand and fight and when you have to run. Learning how not to die is an important skill. And learn to capture beacons! If you aren’t capping, you’re useless to your team. No exceptions. Better you have 3-4 captures and 0 kills than the other way around.

Don’t ditch the LRF, but learn to use it. LRF have the best sustained DPS in the game. You are better for your team if you sit at 4k-5k from the main furball and unleash a constant volley of fire. Desintegrator should be a support weapon, to take long range pot shots at other snipers or static frigates.

Fit coils, aim for the beacons, try to get first the fighters and the frigates. The LRF excel at that. Leave the interceptors for your team mates. Your job is to kill the big targets and you have the DPS to do so.

Concerning capping, if the LRF is capping nobody is supporting the team. You should not cap, because if you are that close to the beacon, all the brawlers (interceptors, gunships, even some commands) are going to kill you.

Don’t ditch the LRF, but learn to use it. LRF have the best sustained DPS in the game. You are better for your team if you sit at 4k-5k from the main furball and unleash a constant volley of fire. Desintegrator should be a support weapon, to take long range pot shots at other snipers or static frigates.

Fit coils, aim for the beacons, try to get first the fighters and the frigates. The LRF excel at that. Leave the interceptors for your team mates. Your job is to kill the big targets and you have the DPS to do so.

Concerning capping, if the LRF is capping nobody is supporting the team. You should not cap, because if you are that close to the beacon, all the brawlers (interceptors, gunships, even some commands) are going to kill you.

I just had a match where we quite literally lost because we had an LRF on our side. Good LRF pilots are the exception, not the norm, so people should not fly that class until they know how to fly, period.

I just had a match where we quite literally lost because we had an LRF on our side. Good LRF pilots are the exception, not the norm, so people should not fly that class until they know how to fly, period.

Maybe you should try to give them advice instead of telling them it is wrong to fly that class.

That way you would have more people flying LRF properly.

Maybe you should try to give them advice instead of telling them it is wrong to fly that class.

That way you would have more people flying LRF properly.

Tried that. They either don’t speak English, or don’t care that the rocks they’re firing at are not, in fact, critical targets.

The LRF is a terrible class because it’s essentially build around terrible advice. In fact, the last game I played showed a prime example of the LRF used right - the guy moved up with the team, dropped mines on the beacon then used RT to hop back and laid in with coil mortars. It was a good strategy that helped his team get an early lead, and I admit I spent more time chasing him down than I should have.

But the entire reason he was strong was because he DID NOT USE HIS SPECIAL MODULE! That’s the problem! Every other class (except maybe Engineer) is encouraged to spam the hell out of that module. ECM about to die? Press F! Tackler need to flee / launch an ambush? Press F! Gunship about to go hot on an enemy? Press F! Generally speaking, new players who use their Special module a lot will do much better than those who don’t.

However, if an LRF uses their Special Module a lot, they suck, and whereas an Engi who spams F is basically just making himself a bit easier to kill, the LRF who over-used their Special is removing themselves from the game.

The class is fundamentally broken. Not “OP”, but broken. As in not working properly.

For all we might complain about n00bs who think the only thing a Tackler’s good for is pooping out drones, at least those drones do damage. As frustrating as it is to see players fly blindly into a meatgrinder when a more experienced player would change tactic, at least they’re drawing fire away from more capable pilots, and might even capture a beacon by accident.

But an LRF may as well have disconnected for all the good they do.

Tried that. They either don’t speak English, or don’t care that the rocks they’re firing at are not, in fact, critical targets.

The LRF is a terrible class because it’s essentially build around terrible advice. In fact, the last game I played showed a prime example of the LRF used right - the guy moved up with the team, dropped mines on the beacon then used RT to hop back and laid in with coil mortars. It was a good strategy that helped his team get an early lead, and I admit I spent more time chasing him down than I should have.

But the entire reason he was strong was because he DID NOT USE HIS SPECIAL MODULE! That’s the problem! Every other class (except maybe Engineer) is encouraged to spam the hell out of that module. ECM about to die? Press F! Tackler need to flee / launch an ambush? Press F! Gunship about to go hot on an enemy? Press F! Generally speaking, new players who use their Special module a lot will do much better than those who don’t.

However, if an LRF uses their Special Module a lot, they suck, and whereas an Engi who spams F is basically just making himself a bit easier to kill, the LRF who over-used their Special is removing themselves from the game.

The class is fundamentally broken. Not “OP”, but broken. As in not working properly.

For all we might complain about n00bs who think the only thing a Tackler’s good for is pooping out drones, at least those drones do damage. As frustrating as it is to see players fly blindly into a meatgrinder when a more experienced player would change tactic, at least they’re drawing fire away from more capable pilots, and might even capture a beacon by accident.

But an LRF may as well have disconnected for all the good they do.

Good LRF know when to use the Torpedo, equip Tachyon Charge to reduce time in Torpedo mode.

General rule of thumb i follow: “The Torpedo is a smart missile”

I may not be gd to some people whatsoever but seriously, how is sitting in spawn guiding a camera across the map fun?

I think one of the other things here is that people are too scared of corp badges. Just because there’s an ESB, WPK or NOVA on the other side doesn’t mean you’ve lost. But if you let them have that power over you, you WILL lose!

I agree with Jasan on this one. New players shouldn’t play LRF until they learn how to do basic concepts. Obviously the previous statement doesn’t mean anything because this is just a vet conversation and no nооbs will ever read this.

James pretty much covered it for you. You’ve now reached the point where you will need to start asking yourself and others the questions he posed and learning from the answers.

oh the old lrf theme

don’t forget the tiers. T2 is usually the tier, where most people who didn’t figure out rushing yet spend a lot of time. in T2, Jerri LRF are quite powerful there.

it is similar with the tacklers, even before cruise, silent foxes were extremely common in t3 for people with partly t2 ships. it makes sense to enter t3 there, even if it is actually a horrible transition, if you didnt really complete t2 at least in a couple of shiplines.

T3, T4, and T5 changes things, but, for someone who has invested “subjectively” a lot of time and is at a couple hundred battles, and went up the ladder, it is harder to just “switch back tier” or “change shipline”. We all had this “first moment of going another class/role” moment, and it’s a lot harder once you start playing “sniper” as your “main”.

Encouraging players to get out of LRF usually happens in groups, but it is also advice we read all over the forums and gets even sometimes said in tutorials. It sometimes needs a swimming teacher. Someone to keep you looking at the goal, while you drink too much water for a while. The waste amount of LRF models also gives the wrong impression of the tactical importance of that ship, especially since there are a lot of crappy ones in that role.

My usual advices include…

Part of playing is to discover your own strengths, and strengthen your morale. And growing patience with others. Ignore arrogance and idiocy around you. You will get there. There is a certain point, where everything suddenly starts going pretty fast for a while :slight_smile:

Don’t stick to one class only. Take a couple of roles you feel comfortable with. Do 10mio surplus synergy in a styx in t3, so you start valuing your healers life. See that as some kind of graduation of an empire cadet, it makes things fun. Don’t take Tacklers or LRF as Captain. You need a good team to pull that through, and even then, chances are slim.

I did not concentrate on nubs usually, but on good players. It does not make you better, if you only learn to kill easy targets. Sometimes if I have to carry, I will farm target by target as long as they don’t catch me nowadays, but early on, when I was still bumping asteroids and fighting with pressing modules at the right time, I concentrated on pilots of my own, or higher skill, because often they also taught me tricks by how creatively they disposed of me or just gave the best fights. Once I got decent, I sometimes started to ignore easier targets and leave them for the team, while I concentrated completely on removing the threat which they could not handle, or did not think of, like a frigate supporting them.

Even if you are skilled naturally, you will need time, practice and exercise to improve;

REPEAT.

Hello, most players starting off in any game have the same problems. Here are some tips which I wish I knew when I started off:

• When moving from T2 -> T3+, the pace of the game gets a lot faster, the players get better, the ships get stronger etc (which is fun:D)

• Try getting a few R8 or R9 ships with mk2 modules and vary them, so maybe have 1 engineer, 1 gunship, 1 recon for example (so you have ships that will suit different situations in games, maybe you are in combat recon and no one took an engineer to heal the captain, so you step in and help etc)

• If you only have one faction of ships, try getting a R9 ship in the other factions as well, your vouchers will come very fast when you have a R9 in each of them so you can start getting some mk3 modules (this takes some time how ever, but it will come)

• Use the credit boosters if you have spare credits, you can fit one booster with credits, there are options for hull, shield, damage, speed etc which give you a tiny advantage in PvP / PvE

• At the moment there are not a lot of big squads, but there are a lot of 2 man squads, so try squadding up with a friend who wants to win and jump on star conflicts teamspeak server or warthunder server so you can talk to each other and co-ordinate / focus fire on targets easier

• ^ Over time when co-ordinating with your squad mate, your impact on the match will start to get bigger. So for example: if one takes an engineer, the other must help him stay alive when he is attacked and thus your entire team will benefit from healing which in turn will help you win the match. Or if you were playing domination and you both took small fast ships and went round capping all the beacons, you will split the enemy team up as they try to keep up with your beacon caps

• Look at your ships and see what the bonuses are on them and try to fit equipment that suits that. So if a ship has a kinetic weapon bonus, you might want to look at using a kinetic weapon on that ship

• Look on the forums through the guides and see some ship builds, residente, tillowatty have some decent builds that you can check out. Even the mk2 versions will still work nice

• Use resists on your ship for shield and hull, you will take less damage (you can see this by going into settings and changing ship information to advanced)

• Practise your team awareness (pay attention to what your team is doing or trying to do)

Do all this and after a while, people will start to think ‘Oh sh*t it’s that guy’             B)

I’m gonna have to scratch all that and just say a good frigball is the answer to about 70% of the problems in this game.

the only problem with telling people not to play lrf is that nobody will get good at lrf by that logic. instead, teach people to tactically use the sniper or torpedo. if you can critically weaken a target with main guns, then RT and finish them with sniper, that’s good. If you can sit 6k away from a furball and send a torp into the midst, then have a command speed buff you into coil-OPmortar range, that’s good. It needs to be advertised as an assault frigate really. that’s what they are when used right. Tactical assault frigates that trade strength for all-out raw power

There is no impossible to win matches, all depend on determination. My SecCon team got matched once with theoretically no-win scenario, a mixed squad of WPK and ESB. And we won, because our ships that cant even proper damage their ships were drawing fire off the recon guy that capped their beacons.

I find the biggest problem can simple be the MM as it doesn’t take into account how long/what level the player is. I have had many games where my team consisted of newer players without any maxed out ships and the opposing team and several players with maxed out purple kitted ships and they clearly knew what they were doing. As you can guess we get our asses handed to us pretty much every time. It’s certainly a steep learning curve going from T1 to T2. Going from T2 to T3 can be as harsh if you rush to it, as I found out after buying the Desert Eagle DLC and giving that a whirl. So I decided to cut my teeth in T2 more, max out several of the ships to get the synergy bonus and learn a bit more about modding my ships and what each type of ship is capable of, to the point where I was a benefit to the team and not getting my xxxx handed to me so often. I’ve started playing T3 more now and doing reasonable well even with just Mk1/Mk2 gear, though I still have a lot to learn.

Are there any good tuts on youtube? Would be nice to find since to get more tips, the guide section in these forums isn’t particularly useful for the newer player like myself.  Mostly consists of builds for higher tier ships and people waving their dicks about on how their build is better than whoever posted whatever build. Would be nice to get a better insight into why ships were modded the way they were, i.e. what playstyle/role. Don’t get me wrong there is some good advice there, just it isn’t all that newbie friendly. Some in depth newbie guides would be very much welcome…wink wink :slight_smile:

As far as LRFs go, I originally hated them as I could not hit anything with the special weapon (Empire) so I didn’t play them for ages. Then I decided to play them again and just ignored the special ability and focused on getting the most out of having 6 main guns and just getting into the fray. Much more fun :slight_smile:

EDIT: Also about playing in a squad. Me and my friends gave up on that as it seems you just stuck in the queue for eternity thanks to some crazy MM logic the penalizes players wanting to play with their friends.